BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Big Pappy
BOOST..... Its Addictive!
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Manual, Coupe

Brakes overheating = check engine light?

Hi all,

So its a nice cool night, the car is running superb, and I decide to open her up for a few seconds.... as I lift my heavy right foot I notice a drop in power and the check engine light appear. So I pull over, turn the car off, then restart, this clears the CEL and everthing seems to be back to normal.

The follwoing day I pop past my local dealer to do a quick OBD scan to see if any codes were thrown, and to our suprise we find that a code was infact thrown, and it had something to do with my brakes overheating which caused the engine to go into limp mode.

What I cannot understand is why a few second booting would result in the brakes over heating? Especially given that I was never hard on the brakes at any stage...

My car is tuned, and the only thing that I can think of is that with the extra torque, the rear brake activated traction control system was having a hard time stopping wheel spin while under full throttle...

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

You comment would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Had the same thing happen once during a BMW club track day. Rear brakes overheated trying to stop the inside rear tyre spinning out of corners. Light on dash which went away after restarting car.
      03-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

A caliper may be a little lazy and dragging on the disc? You'd think youd hear and maybe even see marks though.Interesting what you say there with maybe the stability/traction control perhaps enabling, did the car still feel like it was pulling as strong?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Had the same response from my dealer (twice) when I threw the same code..
Third time it happened they replaced the "Turbo boost pressure sensor valve" or something..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
"Turbo boost pressure sensor valve" or something..
wtf!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pappy View Post
Hi all,

So its a nice cool night, the car is running superb, and I decide to open her up for a few seconds.... as I lift my heavy right foot I notice a drop in power and the check engine light appear. So I pull over, turn the car off, then restart, this clears the CEL and everthing seems to be back to normal.

The follwoing day I pop past my local dealer to do a quick OBD scan to see if any codes were thrown, and to our suprise we find that a code was infact thrown, and it had something to do with my brakes overheating which caused the engine to go into limp mode.

What I cannot understand is why a few second booting would result in the brakes over heating? Especially given that I was never hard on the brakes at any stage...

My car is tuned, and the only thing that I can think of is that with the extra torque, the rear brake activated traction control system was having a hard time stopping wheel spin while under full throttle...

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

You comment would be appreciated.
Same symptoms under the exact same driving conditions..

They questioned me if the car was tuned, as it spiked on 14psi before throwing the code..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Big Pappy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_M View Post
A caliper may be a little lazy and dragging on the disc? You'd think youd hear and maybe even see marks though.Interesting what you say there with maybe the stability/traction control perhaps enabling, did the car still feel like it was pulling as strong?
I initially thought it could be a sticking caliper, however the car rolls fine at low speed in neutral, and there doesn't seem to be any wear or lines on the discs...

I have to say though recently I have been driving around with the stability and traction control completely off (hazard symbol with circle around it), and haven't managed to get it to throw any further check lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

you need LSD

I mean "an" LSD... not LSD the drug.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Big Pappy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Same symptoms under the exact same driving conditions..

They questioned me if the car was tuned, as it spiked on 14psi before throwing the code..
Its interesting what you say here Zuzu, as I have an aftermarket cooler on mine and the tune is set to around 13psi.. maybe our ecu's have an in built boost spike/brake control related feature that works independently to the DTC & DSC?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Big Pappy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
you need LSD

I mean "an" LSD... not LSD the drug.
lol..... YEAH thats definitely on my things to do list!
Appreciate 0