BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

The First 135is??

Hello all

I've been reading this forum for a long time and learning and enjoying alot since 2008 but never posted until now.

I got my first 135i in 2008. I read about it in Car & Driver and without even driving it I knew I wanted it. I traded in a 2006 supercharged 475 hp Mustang GT 5 speed manual for a black sapphire 2008 135i with the steptronic trans and sport pkg. I was so happy to find this forum because I could read and learn about the car I loved.

When the DCT came out I test drove it and in 2010 I traded my 2008 135i for a lemans blue 2011 M sport 135i with DCT. The DCT is so fast and raw - the best auto trans I've ever driven. I always drive in manual mode with the sport button pressed. A manual is so much more fun but I won't even get into why I can't drive a manual anymore. In 2011 I got the BMW Performance exhaust, 313 wheels (with BMW Performance written on them, not M, yes!), PPK version 1 (never track the car so no need for version 2) and the BMW black and chrome grills from the 128i - the same grills that come on the 135is. I like the black grills but with the chrome around the outside - better than all black to me.

See - the first 135is even before the official 135is came out! No? Not even close, you say? Okay… maybe you're right, I guess…

Anyway, in 2014 I added blackline tail lights and the BMW Performance Suspension. The suspension was installed by EAS in Anaheim - they do great work! All my mods are subtle BMW mods - just the way I like it!

Some comments to individual members:

@IEDEI - You, my friend, are a die-hard 1Addict! Nobody, not even me (maybe), loves the 1 series as much as you do. And believe me when I say I love it. I've test driven the M235 twice and I like my 135i better. Plus the "1" just looks so badass - from any angle. Always ready for a fight. And the perfect size. I'm keeping mine till I die. You've always come to it's defense, no matter what! Whether it be a 128, 135i, 135is or the highly regarded 1M. Keep it up!

gregthegr8 - You will love the BMW Performance Suspension. Stiffer but not too stiff, not too low, and feels just right. No problems over speed bumps or driveways. Steering is more precise and direct, turn in is sharp and accurate, and no more double hop over bumps. Cornering is flat. Nice and composed. If you don't mind me asking, what are your Performance spring part numbers - front and rear? Just curious. Mine are: front - 31-33-6-788-893 and rear - 33-53-6-788-900.

Dorkdog - You got rid of your 128. The last great n/a straight 6 BMW made. Now you really have something to complain about (just having some fun with you - don't be offended).

BimmerBob - Your ride is the nicest 128 I've ever seen. Very tastefully modded. Beautiful color. Love everything about it.

Sorry this is long - tried to say everything all at once!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Welcome to the 1Addicts club!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Dackelone - nice to be here!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
chdavis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport

Nice!
      06-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
gregthegr8 - You will love the BMW Performance Suspension. Stiffer but not too stiff, not too low, and feels just right. No problems over speed bumps or driveways. Steering is more precise and direct, turn in is sharp and accurate, and no more double hop over bumps. Cornering is flat. Nice and composed. If you don't mind me asking, what are your Performance spring part numbers - front and rear? Just curious. Mine are: front - 31-33-6-788-893 and rear - 33-53-6-788-900.

Looks great, though of course I'm biased and a die-hard 1-series guy, too. I also had a 2008 135, getting one of the first ones, ordering it sight unseen but for internet photos.

Thanks for your feedback on the performance suspension since it seems to be a pretty rare upgrade/"mod" but like you, I wanted to keep everything BMW performance parts and just raid their catalog like you did. Can't wait to get that darn thing on. To answer your question, my car gets the same front springs as you - part #31-33-6-788-893, but the rears for my car are part #33-53-6-788-899. Not sure why the rears are different, or maybe they just updated the part somehow and gave it the next number?

Appreciate the dorkdog cheapshot, and alas, like you, after numerous surgeries on my hand, wrist, and shoulder, no more manuals for me, but like the DCT. I also test drove the M235 a couple weeks ago and have never been so bored and so unmoved in my life. It's soft and more refined, but I guess I'm not and prefer the bulldogish, squatty raw lil crazy SOB we have.

Nice first post, you'll have to be more active!

Oh, and to complete the IS look, you're just missing one thing - you'll need to go with black side mirrors. =P
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
wow very nice!!! you really did make the prototype '135is'. Perhaps one of the shops you took your car too had a BMW corporate spy who handed over the details of your car to some mischievious little office that decided to devise a plan to suck money out of more customers by making what was known as the '135is'

you should consider getting the PPK2 kit installed though......JUST for the simple reason that you would get all those beautiful popcorn popping good times out of the performance exhaust. Still the car looks great, man!!!! Thanks for your post and the nice words. For me the 1-series is iconic. I still predict in 10 years there will be a '0 Series" that BMW will launch and it will be a really small RWD throwback to these cars and the E30.

1er 4ever!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
leoloo
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Drives M135xi F21 black

nice car. congratulations!
      06-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Dackelone - nice to be here!
Hey Esteban,

I went to high school and college in Alta Loma, welcome to the Forum! I run the 128 grills as well, must be the Alta Loma water that gives us such good taste.

Cheers,
Cody

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdavis View Post
Nice!
Thanks alot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Not sure why the rears are different, or maybe they just updated the part somehow and gave it the next number?
Don't know why the rears are different either. It looks like we have the same equipment. Maybe it's where we bought it? I got mine from the local BMW dealer - how about you?

Quote:
Oh, and to complete the IS look, you're just missing one thing - you'll need to go with black side mirrors.
Don't forget the blue stitching and the "135is" badge on the glovebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you should consider getting the PPK2 kit installed though......JUST for the simple reason that you would get all those beautiful popcorn popping good times out of the performance exhaust.
Oh, I do get all that popping. PPK1 and PPK2 tune is exactly the same. It's the cooling hardware that I don't get with PPK1 - and I don't need it as I said I don't track my car and it never overheats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoloo View Post
nice car. congratulations!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
I went to high school and college in Alta Loma, welcome to the Forum! I run the 128 grills as well, must be the Alta Loma water that gives us such good taste.
Alta Loma High and Chaffey College right?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Alta Loma High and Chaffey College right?
Yes, Sir.

Cheers,
Cody

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
...the first 135is even before the official 135is came out!
When I bought my lightly used (only 4k miles) '09 135i in April 2011, the seller listed it as "the 135is that BMW never built". It came with:

BMW Performance Power Kit 2
BMW Performance Exhaust
BMW Performance Suspension
BMW Performance Short Shift Kit
BMW Performance Electronic Steering Wheel
BMW Performance Emergency Brake
BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills
BMW Performance Side Skirts
Bridgestone RE11s (non-run flats in 225/255 sizes)

I immediately added the BMW Stainless Steel Pedal Set (which came stock on the 335is), but sadly I did not get the 313 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

That sounds really nice. When you have some time, take pictures. Would love to see it!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:

Don't know why the rears are different either. It looks like we have the same equipment. Maybe it's where we bought it? I got mine from the local BMW dealer - how about you?

Don't forget the blue stitching and the "135is" badge on the glovebox.
The parts numbers for the springs depends on a multitude of factors - year, options, etc., which is why you have to provide your vin # to make sure you get the right springs. I think they changed something slightly with the suspension in 2012 which probably accounts for the difference in part #. I got mine from a forum vendor and checked with two places to confirm my part #s were correct. Now just waiting to put it on already.

Also, I think only 50% of the IS's got the black leather with blue stitching. It was one of the leather options, but many people still opted for coral red or oyster, or the cheapos like me got black leatherette to save $1500. That's the only thing I sometimes regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
When I bought my lightly used (only 4k miles) '09 135i in April 2011, the seller listed it as "the 135is that BMW never built". It came with:

BMW Performance Power Kit 2
BMW Performance Exhaust
BMW Performance Suspension
BMW Performance Short Shift Kit
BMW Performance Electronic Steering Wheel
BMW Performance Emergency Brake
BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills
BMW Performance Side Skirts
Bridgestone RE11s (non-run flats in 225/255 sizes)

I immediately added the BMW Stainless Steel Pedal Set (which came stock on the 335is), but sadly I did not get the 313 wheels.
Sounds like the only other performance part you don't have are the performance rotors. Would love to see pics as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Checked my spring part numbers too with 3 different BMW dealers just to make sure before buying. Didn't want to get the wrong ones. Got 20 % off at the dealer. My dealer (Ontario BMW) is always willing to discount parts and labor, but they wanted too much to install the suspension. Got it done at EAS in Anaheim for $550 - that included 4-wheel alignment.

Love the blue stitching on the 135is - I have black leather too.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Also, I think only 50% of the IS's got the black leather with blue stitching. It was one of the leather options, but many people still opted for coral red or oyster, or the cheapos like me got black leatherette to save $1500. That's the only thing I sometimes regret.
Interesting to hear you say that. I absolutely love the leatherette and I wouldn't change it in my car. I really like the stiff, sporty, grippy feel and I haven't noticed it to be any hotter or less-breathable than the leather in my other car.

I've read that it should wear better over time, too. My brother has a 10+ year old M roadster with leather. He takes good care of his car, but his leather is a cracked, mushy mess. Either way, it's simply personal preference, but If I ordered a new BMW tomorrow, I would order the leatherette again.
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Interesting to hear you say that. I absolutely love the leatherette and I wouldn't change it in my car. I really like the stiff, sporty, grippy feel and I haven't noticed it to be any hotter or less-breathable than the leather in my other car.

I've read that it should wear better over time, too. My brother has a 10+ year old M roadster with leather. He takes good care of his car, but his leather is a cracked, mushy mess. Either way, it's simply personal preference, but If I ordered a new BMW tomorrow, I would order the leatherette again.
Like I said, I only SOMETIMES regret it, but that's also in part due to the special floormats. I believe I told you back in the day as well that I did it in part cause I had leatherette on my 2008, it should wear a lot better, and is one more thing to not have to worry about, obsess over cleaning, conditioning, plus, I wanted to maximize the number of surfaces I could use cockpit premium on.

If I did it again, I'd still get the leatherette probably to save the $1500, but I do love the look of the black leather with blue stitching.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
If I did it again, I'd still get the leatherette probably to save the $1500, but I do love the look of the black leather with blue stitching.
...so you could upgrade the suspension! It's win-win
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sick !!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #19
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
BimmerBob - Your ride is the nicest 128 I've ever seen. Very tastefully modded. Beautiful color. Love everything about it.
Thanks, man! Never saw this. I've got a few more pretty big mods planned, but other than that, I just plan to keep driving it and enjoying it at autocross and on the track. I'll be at 5 years of ownership this April, and I have no plans to get rid of it!

I feel like now that we're a couple years out of production, the 128i is finally getting more respect. I really think you can't go wrong with the whole 1er family, and that BMW just doesn't make cars quite like this anymore.