BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Is My SAT Radio working properly?

Just picked up the 128i Monday. Almost every time I start the car after its been sitting a couple of hours, the SAT radio displays "Acquiring..." and will not play anything. If I shut the car off for a minute & restart it plays right away.

I've waited as long as 5 minutes for "Acquiring..." to end and music to play. Also, if I wait, and then go to FM & listen there for 30 minutes then switch back to SAT, it STILL says "Acquiring..." If I shut down wait a min & restart, SAT plays.

Bad SDARS Unit? Anyone got a clue???

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 01-14-2010 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
whatsthebuzz
1 Driver
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i Dinan

Tall buildings near where you are parked?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

I get that when going through a tunnel, or under a wide bridge - so it sounds like an antenna problem. I don't know much about what happens at power-up, but I usually get the Sat. radio immediately, faster than when changing channels.

I can't offer much more, but good luck with it.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
I'm1of'M
Leadfoot
Rep
Drives: AW 135i Coupe -M sport

I spent 30 mins on the phone with Sirius yesterday in complete frustration. I have the same problem on my brand new 135i. Exactly as you described it. Sirius wanted me to take it to the dealer because they told me my antenna was not connected. I kept telling them: "if I switch to FM and back again I can hear the station, but it just keeps telling me aquirring..." Last night I went out to the car and everything worked fine, went to the store, got back in the car, still OK... Put in a CD, then switched back to SAT....nothing.
Stopped the car, opened the door, took out the key...waited 30 seconds, and when I started it back up bingo...SAT was back alive.
Its really frustrating. I have to stop at the dealer tomorrow anyways, maybe they can shed some light
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

This problem has been well documented on this site, in that there is a Service Bullitin on this issue. It's very helpful to perform searchs on issues such as this, since most of them have come up already.

Bonus for you; I did the search for you and here is just one thread on the subject. Go to the dealer and get the update.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257583

I had my radio not work only once though and it has not happened since. Even so, the next trip to the dealer I will request an update.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
This problem has been well documented on this site, in that there is a Service Bullitin on this issue. It's very helpful to perform searchs on issues such as this, since most of them have come up already.

Bonus for you; I did the search for you and here is just one thread on the subject. Go to the dealer and get the update.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257583

I had my radio not work only once though and it has not happened since. Even so, the next trip to the dealer I will request an update.

Good luck.
That's not at all the issue the OP is talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
That's not at all the issue the OP is talking about.
Maybe not exactly in this thread referenced, but there are many similar threads that problems have been corrected by an update from the dealer. I made the reference only because my SAT radio was acting up similarly as the OP and I thought this reference may help. I am lucky that my radio has not recently acted up (fingers crossed). These types of sporadic issues are typically corrected by reprogramming flashs of the appropriate ECU.

Any ways the OP problems are not at all normal and the dealer needs to correct it. Pointing the OP towards a radio TSB and suggesting a dealer visit certainly can't hurt.

Thanks for your help in this matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
I'm1of'M
Leadfoot
Rep
Drives: AW 135i Coupe -M sport

I went to my dealer tonight - Devon Hill and they knew nothing about a software update... at least not as it relates to Sat radio in 2010 cars. They asked me to come back in the morning when their radio "guru" is in. Hopefully an ECU flash is all it takes, but why exactly should this be needed on a brand new $40K car?
Appreciate 0