BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

My time with the 1 series: Review

What is it that we look for in a car? Those of us that call ourselves enthusiasts, it is passion. Passion can men a number of things; speed, razor sharp handling, beautiful design, or maybe the owner's community. Passion is something that BMW has historically inspired. The question is, does this apply to the new 1 series.

My test drive occurred on a weekday evening in Dublin Ohio, which is the home of some of the biggest a-hole cops in the country, so I couldn't really thrash the car. But I got to spend a good twenty minutes with the car on a various street, roads and the highway.

Cruising down the street the car was quiet and comfortable, as you would expect from a luxury car. The 128 came equipped with the premium package and an automatic transmission, but without paddle shifters. That doesn't mean that the car is without some sport to it. The NA 3.0L inline six provided good acceleration, enough to be breaking the speed limit before you notice, but not enough to break the tires loose, specially with the nanny-tronics. I got the little squeak out of the tires once in a turn before the computers shut it down.

The engine does have a nice if muted note when it goes over 3000 RPMs and the auto trany is fine for commuting, but I don't think I would like it down in the Hocking Hills, even with the trans manual shift mode. The manual shift would be good for someone who has never driven a stick or isn't good at it.

How about the handling? Well it wasn’t bad. It was fine in steady state turns, but do a twitch reaction turn like you would find on an autocross course and the front tires felt spongy. It's something that may be fixed with more air in the front tires or a better tire/wheel combination. The car was running 17" wheels and 50 profile tires. There was also a good bit of body roll, more than I expected. The sport package may do better.

The interior was comfortable and well laid out, the seats are bolstered more than enough for the performance capabilities of the car even though they were not the better seats from the sport package. There was more than enough room in the front for some one that is over 6 foot and the roof was tall enough that I don't crack my head getting in. The back seats, well, who in the hell cares, if you own the car you won't be setting there. There is clear view out of the car; there are no glaring blind spots. I do think that some of the plastic has something of a cheap look to them. Almost like the materials that GM used to get burned for. The exterior is subtle compared to the other cars that it gets classed with like the STI and Evolution. I like the styling even though I have heard others do not.

Over all, the car is quick, faster than my Saturn VUE Redline even though it doesn't feel like it having 50 less foot-pounds of torque and 30 less horsepower. It has good handling and no major flaws. This was a good car but not a great one. Having gotten to drive this new 128i the answer to my original question is no, but having said that, there is the 135i which I got to spend 20 minutes with also. That thing has a completely different personality. Where the 128 was a pop band, the 135 is speed metal.

The 135i was also an automatic but with the sport package and the paddle shifters. The seats with the sport package had even more bolstering and continued to prove that I need to loose weight. But they were only tight on my back. Other than the seats, the only other significant change in the interior is the steering wheel, which didn't strike me as being very different other than the paddle shifters. The paddles don't work like the ones that you have seen on F1 cars. These pull on both sides to shift up and have little nubs sticking up above the spokes to shift down. That bugged me at first, but it is easy and more natural for me to use that the lever in the console.

The twin turbo 3 liter inline 6 has a lot of power and was only hampered by the auto tranny and the nanny-tronics, which are down right intrusive. The stability control came on several times putting a lid on the fun. And even when I turned it off, the breaking used to create the E-limited slip diff cut off any fun when punching out of a T intersection. But still when you press on the go peddle it pushes you back in the seat and that will still put a smile on your face. And the brakes, oh my god, when I first touched them I thought I was going to eat the windshield. They are big 6-piston Brembos seam like they could haul down a freight train.

Unlike the 128 this thing is responsive when you turn the wheel with just a bit of scrub being noticeable during quick reaction turns. The car stays flat with very little body roll. Plus the 135 comes with 18" wheels with 40 and 35 profile tires (wider tires on the rear). But the best part is that when cruising down the road, it doesn't seem any harsher than the softer 128. If you can get past the nanny-tronics this car will be a dream in the twisties.

With this 135i I can reconsider my answer to the question if the 1 series inspires passion. Yes, it does!

I would suggest anyone who likes to drive and are in the market for a new car, check this thing out.

Now what would I put my money on? I would want the 128 with the 135s handling. Luckily I can have that with the sport package. Add in a manual transmission that is good for half a second faster 0-60. Then throw on some aftermarket 18" wheels and tires and I think it would be a fun car. And why would I pick a lower power car? I already have one monster car that is faster, lighter and runs more tire than will ever fit under the 135.

About the author: I have competed in SCCA Solo events for 7 years driving a ESP spec Chevy Camaro, which has also seen time at NASA track days.

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Great writeup, I really enjoyed reading it and the perspective!
      03-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
bharv2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

Ok right up, but you need to check your grammar and such. Are you sure you drive "an Chevy Camaro?"

Black Sapphire Metallic; Terra Boston Leather; High Gloss Black Trim; Premium and Sport Packages; Heated Seats; Premium Sound

:headbang: Can't wait until it gets here!!! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nice review, I appreciate your perspective..

One thing I wanted to ask about, is did you disable DSC or "really" disable DSC. As far as I know, it is defeatable in two stages. One just by pressing it to disable DTC and the other by holding it down to disable DSC completely and rely on the e-diff. Is this what you were remarking on when you mentioned the e-diff stifling some of the fun? If you pressed it only once, I believe all that does is take off traction control, but leaves stability intact... I could be wrong on this, though.
      03-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Horrible grammar. Made it difficult to even follow your thought process, but thanks for the opinion.
      03-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
axoid
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Nice review, I appreciate your perspective..

One thing I wanted to ask about, is did you disable DSC or "really" disable DSC. As far as I know, it is defeatable in two stages. One just by pressing it to disable DTC and the other by holding it down to disable DSC completely and rely on the e-diff. Is this what you were remarking on when you mentioned the e-diff stifling some of the fun? If you pressed it only once, I believe all that does is take off traction control, but leaves stability intact... I could be wrong on this, though.
Thanks for the input. I figured it needs work. It’s the first time that I have tried writing something like this and you can’t be good at something without practice. Maybe that's what I get for writing computer code all day.

As for the DTC, I did try it in both modes. I read about the two stages of deactivation on this board before I drove the cars. I hope it was a fluke or something.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

you've got the feeling across - so I enjoyed reading it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

That was a pretty good write up and anyone who had a hard time understanding due to grammar must have had a really hard time in school.

Seriously people, this is a car forum, who cares if grammar is not perfect. Get off the soapboxes you have no right to be on and just appreciate the time the guy took to write his opinion. After writing as much as axoid did, I'm sure most all of us would have misspelled or mis-worded something...
      03-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Cool writeup and driving impressions. I have a question for you. You mentioned:
Quote:
The stability control came on several times putting a lid on the fun. And even when I turned it off, the breaking used to create the E-limited slip diff cut off any fun when punching out of a T intersection

Were you only pressing the button once, adn not holding it down, to turn turn things completely off, and activate the eLSD? It sounds like you completely deactivate DSC and activate the eLSD mode.

I only ask because I can do doughnuts in a situation like that with my 135i, without trying hard at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaknight View Post
you've got the feeling across - so I enjoyed reading it.
+1. Thanks.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
axoid
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Cool writeup and driving impressions. I have a question for you. You mentioned:
[/size][/font]

Were you only pressing the button once, adn not holding it down, to turn turn things completely off, and activate the eLSD? It sounds like you completely deactivate DSC and activate the eLSD mode.

I only ask because I can do doughnuts in a situation like that with my 135i, without trying hard at all.
Thanks,

I did press the button and held it down and the red warning hazard icon popped up on the LSD display.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Hmm. Then maybe it's a Steptronic vs. Manual thing then? :iono:

Either way, thanks for the writeup! I want to get some seat time on a 128i too, just to see what the car is like.
Appreciate 0