BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

NJ, NYC or FL registration?

So I just got my allocation today and I have a question I live in NYC have a NJ license, but will be buying my 1m from a FL dealer. I can either register it in FL, NJ, or NYC. Anybody have any opinion on where I should register it? It'll mostly be staying in NJ but would I save any money by doing it in FL? Any other pros or cons? how would it affect my insurance? I need to get back to my CA tomorrow with all this info for him to get the ball rolling so any feedback would be great.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
I work in Iowa, and my plate is registered at FL home address.
Was there any reason you did it in FL? Cheaper insurance? Less tax? No need to run a front plate?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Uhh stay away from NJ as much as possible. I don't know how NY is but I can't imagine it being much better. I would suggest FL is the best bet. I registered mine in PA but live in NJ right now (I moved just before I bought the vehicle). I will eventually switch it to NJ but not right now. When I moved to PA originally my insurance went down $900. And I even bought a newer car at the same time as the move. I know NJ is always one of the most expensive states to insure your car in as well (I believe we have the highest number of uninsured drivers). Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

P.S.

Congrats on the allocation and car.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Where in NY are you located? If your not in NYC than you should be fine in NY. I have all my cars registered at my parents house in long island. Their town has dirt cheap rates. To move my insurance from their place to my apartment in the city almost double my premiums.

DO NOT INSURE IN NJ. lol. A lot of my friend have cars in NJ and keep telling my their horrific insurance rates. Also if you can find a safe delaware address you can get cheap insurance + no tax on the car. not that id recommend doing something like that
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Uhh stay away from NJ as much as possible. I don't know how NY is but I can't imagine it being much better. I would suggest FL is the best bet. I registered mine in PA but live in NJ right now (I moved just before I bought the vehicle). I will eventually switch it to NJ but not right now. When I moved to PA originally my insurance went down $900. And I even bought a newer car at the same time as the move. I know NJ is always one of the most expensive states to insure your car in as well (I believe we have the highest number of uninsured drivers). Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

P.S.

Congrats on the allocation and car.
The rates have more to do with population denisity and tort laws, then un-insured drivers. Still its very expensive for insurance in NJ.

On my 135i, I pay 1600 a year, with a 500 ded. Thats with progressive. Not bad, IMO. Still expensive tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
The rates have more to do with population denisity and tort laws, then un-insured drivers. Still its very expensive for insurance in NJ.

On my 135i, I pay 1600 a year, with a 500 ded. Thats with progressive. Not bad, IMO. Still expensive tho.
Thats not too bad. How old are you though?

I'm 21, male, 8 points, no accidents, nice affluent area for my registration location in long island, ny

I pay for my 2007 S2000 & 2011 GTI: $2100/year. 500 collision deduct. $250 Comprehensive with Geico. Full coverage on both. $200k/500k i believe.

I was quoted $900/year for the 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post

I'm 21, male, 8 points, no accidents, nice affluent area for my registration location in long island, ny

I pay for my 2007 S2000 & 2011 GTI: $2100/year. 500 collision deduct. $250 Comprehensive with Geico. Full coverage on both. $200k/500k i believe.

I used to have Geico, switched over to progressive. Im 26 with 3 points that i think are gone now, and no accidents.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAM View Post
Was there any reason you did it in FL? Cheaper insurance? Less tax? No need to run a front plate?
cheap insurance, not front plate, and convenient to move back. and unique
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Be sure and check your state laws. Unless you are in the Military, you have to be careful where your driver's license states your address. Some have been caught when receiving a ticket, their driver's license says one address, and the registration says another. Having retired from the Navy, each state law is different.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

There are a lot of states that require annual safety inspections in order to renew the license plates/registration, which means you'll need to bring the car to the state it's plated in and get an inspection performed before you can renew the registration.

Many states have annual personal property taxes that are charged to vehicles registered in that state, and I think even if you're not a resident you can be liable for these taxes if the car is registered there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
You have a similar situation like me..

Honestly do everything you can to avoid reg and paying taxes or anything in NY or NYC.

Insure it to your 3rd cousins sisters friend if you have too...

Try and do FL..if not NJ.... if NY or NYC it will be horrible experience both $ and the paperwork and DMV.
      08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post

wow!

in west village in NYC it was quoted at over 3k...

i need to move 8(

I always insured and licensed in NJ
      08-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You have a similar situation like me..

Honestly do everything you can to avoid reg and paying taxes or anything in NY or NYC.

Insure it to your 3rd cousins sisters friend if you have too...

Try and do FL..if not NJ.... if NY or NYC it will be horrible experience both $ and the paperwork and DMV.
Yeah that's what I figured. Looks like I'm going to do FL. Any issues I should look out for? I'm going to have the car in NYC and NJ and have a NJ license, will insurance have a problem with this if i get into an accident in NYC with the car registered in FL?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Plaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M; '08 MCS; '02 325iT

Register it where the law says you have to. If your primary residence is in NY, you should probably register it there. Otherwise, you give the insurance company an "out" should you ever have a big claim. And, just ethically, it's the right thing to do. Plus, you'll just feel better if you're not scamming. You should get a license there too.

What's the difference, a couple of hundred bucks a year? If that much matters enough to you that you consider illegally registering and defrauding your insurance company (let's be honest, that's exactly what it is), then you probably shouldn't be buying such an expensive car to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Register it where the law says you have to. If your primary residence is in NY, you should probably register it there. Otherwise, you give the insurance company an "out" should you ever have a big claim. And, just ethically, it's the right thing to do. Plus, you'll just feel better if you're not scamming. You should get a license there too.

What's the difference, a couple of hundred bucks a year? If that much matters enough to you that you consider illegally registering and defrauding your insurance company (let's be honest, that's exactly what it is), then you probably shouldn't be buying such an expensive car to begin with.
+1

Besides, I don't see how your registration affects insurance. I'm in the military, and my car stays titled and registered in my home-of record state (legally). Also, my driver's license remains issued by the same state. However, my insurance premium is tied to the address where I live and where the car gets parked every night (they ask you pretty directly about this).

As stated, most states have laws requiring you to become licensed and/or register your vehicles within 30 days or whatever. You can't legally move somewhere and say, "well I'm from FL and so I'll just keep my FL license and plates." It just doesn't work that way. You likely won't get caught, but if you get in an accident or speeding ticket or whatever, I'd expect an extra citation for not complying with your resident state's laws. Just FYI.

So are you guys giving bogus addresses to the insurance companies when they write your policies?You might get away with it, for a long time, even. But if it ever bites you in the @$$ (denied claim, for example) you're going to wish you had just been upfront about it.
      08-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
+1

Besides, I don't see how your registration affects insurance. I'm in the military, and my car stays titled and registered in my home-of record state (legally). Also, my driver's license remains issued by the same state. However, my insurance premium is tied to the address where I live and where the car gets parked every night (they ask you pretty directly about this).

As stated, most states have laws requiring you to become licensed and/or register your vehicles within 30 days or whatever. You can't legally move somewhere and say, "well I'm from FL and so I'll just keep my FL license and plates." It just doesn't work that way. You likely won't get caught, but if you get in an accident or speeding ticket or whatever, I'd expect an extra citation for not complying with your resident state's laws. Just FYI.

So are you guys giving bogus addresses to the insurance companies when they write your policies?You might get away with it, for a long time, even. But if it ever bites you in the @$$ (denied claim, for example) you're going to wish you had just been upfront about it.
Well I wouldn't be giving a bogus address, I do have a place of residence in Florida and would maybe even have the car there sometimes, but I would be using it in the NYC area mainly. I'm also purchasing the car from a FL dealer. If it comes down to violating my insurance policy I won't do it, but if not, I was just asking to see if there might be any other issues I might be missing?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Well I wouldn't be giving a bogus address, I do have a place of residence in Florida and would maybe even have the car there sometimes, but I would be using it in the NYC area mainly. I'm also purchasing the car from a FL dealer. If it comes down to violating my insurance policy I won't do it, but if not, I was just asking to see if there might be any other issues I might be missing?
then that should be fine. to be honest this is ALL a TERRIBLE idea to talk

publicly on a forum
PM me we can talk or talk via gtalk/aim

-d

dont ask i wanted to use alot of smileys today.
      08-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
then that should be fine. to be honest this is ALL a TERRIBLE idea to talk

publicly on a forum
PM me we can talk or talk via gtalk/aim

-d

dont ask i wanted to use alot of smileys today.
lol agreed. Hit me up too, OAM. It's not as serious as people make it seem. Shit my car is never at my residence. Im all over the country sometimes. Its at the whim of my business. You could be someone who resides in FL but works in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
It does not matter where you purchase the car, but rather where you are a legal resident. If your driver's license says where your legal residence is, then that is where the car should be registered. The only "legal" exception I know if is military active duty. As someone said previously, the last thing you want to do is give your insurance company an "out" by not being honest with them.
Appreciate 0