BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupé

3d brake light in transparent or black?

I have done some research on the web but cant seem to find the 3d brake light for the 1-series coupe in transparent or black. Just think it would look sooooo much better than the original red. Any suggestions where one would find this?

Last edited by 1MCoupe; 08-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Well, given the history of problems with them, "break light" is certainly an appropriate name.

But seriously, I just never cease to be amazed at how much people are willing to compromise safety in the name of aesthetics.
      08-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Well, given the history of problems with them, "break light" is certainly an appropriate name.

But seriously, I just never cease to be amazed at how much people are willing to compromise safety in the name of aesthetics.
My bad: "brake light". Question though, how do you reason when you say that it is compromising safety to have a all black or white brake light (I spelled it right this time...)?
As long as it reads red when lit it should be perfectly fine?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MCoupe View Post
My bad: "brake light". Question though, how do you reason when you say that it is compromising safety to have a all black or white brake light (I spelled it right this time...)?
As long as it reads red when lit it should be perfectly fine?
To be legal, you want it to be as bright as possible - besides - when you are driving and hit the brakes, the light is not intended for you go to out and look at it, but rather to let the car behind you know you are braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
To be legal, you want it to be as bright as possible - besides - when you are driving and hit the brakes, the light is not intended for you go to out and look at it, but rather to let the car behind you know you are braking.
Great reasoning pal. This means that nothing but the dashboard on your car should look alright while the rest can look like crap. We dont speak the same language (in a dual sense)...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

See post # 136.
www.lamin-x.com
      08-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
See post # 136.
www.lamin-x.com
Thanks Dan!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

If a clear lens with a red bulb (when lit) looks as red as the stock, then go for it. But if you black it out, you are - by definition - reducing the brightness. That compromises safety.

BTW: Can't imagine that a clear lens there will look better than a red one. But that's just my personal opinion.
      08-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great reasoning pal. This means that nothing but the dashboard on your car should look alright while the rest can look like crap. We dont speak the same language (in a dual sense)...
I don't understand the aggressiveness of your post. I was just stating that the third brake light is there for a reason, so you may not want to darken it. Individualization is up to each person - I have even done some things to my car too. But - my 1M does not look like crap.

A major study demonstrated that third brake lights can reduce rear end accidents by over 46% - that is why they were first mandated by the United States several years ago, then other countries followed. I have spent time in Sweden - beautiful country. People in Sweden have a tendency to not follow as closely as they do here in the US too. Please understand that I was not trying to put you down because you wanted to tint your third brake light. I just don't want someone to hit you.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
I don't understand the aggressiveness of your post. I was just stating that the third brake light is there for a reason, so you may not want to darken it. Individualization is up to each person - I have even done some things to my car too. But - my 1M does not look like crap.

A major study demonstrated that third brake lights can reduce rear end accidents by over 46% - that is why they were first mandated by the United States several years ago, then other countries followed. I have spent time in Sweden - beautiful country. People in Sweden have a tendency to not follow as closely as they do here in the US too. Please understand that I was not trying to put you down because you wanted to tint your third brake light. I just don't want someone to hit you.
I am not agressive and apologize if that is how I came across. Where we might differ is that the looks of the car from behind, which you didnt think mattered since I dont see it when I brake. However I do find it un-esthetic to have a red lamp in the midst of all white.

Black looks better considering all other black details on the car and white would blend in. For instance, the blinkers on the side are white but still blink yellow/orange. At the same token, I believe that a white or black 3d brake light could serve its purpose as long as it reads red when lit. And as to the tendency to tail gate, I am afraid that it is just as bad here in Stockholm as in the US...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do find it un-esthetic to have a red lamp in the midst of all white.

Black looks better considering all other black details on the car and white would blend in. For instance, the blinkers on the side are white but still blink yellow/orange. At the same token, I believe that a white or black 3d brake light could serve its purpose as long as it reads red when lit. And as to the tendency to tail gate, I am afraid that it is just as bad here in Stockholm as in the US...
No offense taken. I too have a white 1M, and would not mind having the 3rd brake light tinted, as Dan Parker has. I did order the Black ///M license frame for the rear to add some darker details.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0