BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Odin2347
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

P0015 Limp mode

Just searched the forum to see if anyone had this similar issue and didn't find anything too useful: After a WOT run the car gets the half engine yellow light with the code P0015 and starts idling roughly. This goes away after a restart. The code refers to "Camshaft Exhaust Position Sensors Timing Over Retarded". I just replaced the Camshaft exhaust sensor with a new OEM unit and the issue still persists spontaneously. Looking for some advice on the next step
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
SabreE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey M-Sport 135i

This may help.

Buddy of mine is experiencing the same thing. Dealership is working on it at this time.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201
Appreciate 1
YostBMW21.00
      06-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Thread revival.

It's the second time p0015 came up for me in a couple months. The first time, I cleared it and then it came back yesterday. Today I drove and it just went away on its own. I do want to resolve this and I have been reading that it could be a variety of things.

1. Cam sensors on both the intake or exhaust.
2. VANOS solenoids
3. VANOS seals
4. Unlikely, but someone reported spark plugs solved it.

Just wondering if anyone has resolved this here. I am due for spark plugs but I'll probably tackle the VANOS cleaning later today and see what happens. Too bad the CEL turned off on its own. We'll see what happens.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin2347 View Post
Just searched the forum to see if anyone had this similar issue and didn't find anything too useful: After a WOT run the car gets the half engine yellow light with the code P0015 and starts idling roughly. This goes away after a restart. The code refers to "Camshaft Exhaust Position Sensors Timing Over Retarded". I just replaced the Camshaft exhaust sensor with a new OEM unit and the issue still persists spontaneously. Looking for some advice on the next step
Is the unit bolt with a fixed position or can the unit be rotated? In my miata part of the installation is rotating the sensor into the correct position and checking engine timing.

Honestly, this is a shop diagnosis and fix. So many variables could be involved. Fuel, spark, cylinders, position sensor rotation, ...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Thread revival.

It's the second time p0015 came up for me in a couple months. The first time, I cleared it and then it came back yesterday. Today I drove and it just went away on its own. I do want to resolve this and I have been reading that it could be a variety of things.

2. VANOS solenoids
3. VANOS seals

Just wondering if anyone has resolved this here. I am due for spark plugs but I'll probably tackle the VANOS cleaning later today and see what happens. Too bad the CEL turned off on its own. We'll see what happens.

Did you figure it out? I have the same exact thing and don't want to throw money at it till I know exactly what's going on. I have a autocross event Saturday I'm afraid I might not make it now!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Thread revival.

2. VANOS solenoids
3. VANOS seals

Did you figure it out? I have the same exact thing and don't want to throw money at it till I know exactly what's going on. I have a autocross event Saturday I'm afraid I might not make it now!
Yep! VANOS solenoids. Just cleaned them and never had an issue since.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
SamE30
BMW Certified Technician
Canada
Rep
Drives: 84 325e 2.8L PTE6262

Usually caused by soiled solenoids. Easy way to tell is to swap the solenoids with each other and see if the fault migrates.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Gtxracer
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Bump.

Have a P0015 code in my 2008 N54 135i, just cleaned the VANOS this past week and code is still present. Sometimes I can clear it, sometimes not. I have a lower end code reader.

I can make the half-engine limp mode happen with any WOT moment, only seems to have power issues past 4-5k RPM. Seems like the timing is off, I'm thinking faulty cam sensor.

Can anyone point me to the cam sensor Ohm readings? I can take my multimeter to it and check but would like to find the right readings first.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0