BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Will the 128i cost more or less than the TSX?
More than the TSX 32 76.19%
Less than the TSX 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

10-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #23
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Thats why there is an M6 ..! For thsoe people who don't have kids and are SINGLE.

4-door = your taken. Your a father and have a family.

It's embarrasing to drive around in a 4-door when your single, because why would you need 4 doors..? You have no kids, no need.

Sedans are typically cheaper version of the coupes. More subtle and not as youthful. So, yes I find it embarrasing when driving a friends 4-door or my moms CTS.

Sedans(4doors) are perfectly fine for those who need them, but if you don't and do own one :iono: = embarrasing!

-Garrett
Dude did you forget that you own a Ford Escape? You must be going around embrassed all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #24
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixspeed J View Post
Dude did you forget that you own a Ford Escape? You must be going around embrassed all the time.

Forget? No... I drive it every day.
And get this, it's not a car! I was talking about Sedan vs Coupe. Station wagon, touring, hatchbacks are all exempt from that rule because they are utilitarian. dee dee dee
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #25
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I was talking about Sedan vs Coupe. Station wagon, touring, hatchbacks are all exempt from that rule because they are utilitarian.
I like you Garrett, and you and I have always gotten along, so please don't take it personally when I tell you that your argument is ridiculous. A Ford Escape screams "family man" a bazillion times more than a sport sedan does. Sorry.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Forget? No... I drive it every day.
And get this, it's not a car! I was talking about Sedan vs Coupe. Station wagon, touring, hatchbacks are all exempt from that rule because they are utilitarian. dee dee dee
. So if you drive a four door car you should be embarassed, but if you drive a four door station wagon or suv you shouldn't be? :iono:

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #27
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
I like you Garrett, and you and I have always gotten along, so please don't take it personally when I tell you that your argument is ridiculous. A Ford Escape screams "family man" a bazillion times more than a sport sedan does. Sorry.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #28
///MG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '05 M3

Quote:
Thats why there is an M6 ..! For thsoe people who don't have kids and are SINGLE.

It's embarrasing to drive around in a 4-door when your single, because why would you need 4 doors..? You have no kids, no need.

Sedans are typically cheaper version of the coupes. More subtle and not as youthful. So, yes I find it embarrasing when driving a friends 4-door or my moms CTS.

Sedans(4doors) are perfectly fine for those who need them, but if you don't and do own one :iono: = embarrasing!

-Garrett
Forgive me, but I wouldn't it be more "embarrassing" to drive your mommy's car around compared to a sedan paid for out of your own pocket. Grow up.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post

Hunh..? :drinking:

Thats why I always own BOTH. I don't drive my expensive cars in the winter, they sit in the garrage!

It's not a big SUV, but a practical smaller, inexpensive beater!

Quote:
Forgive me, but I wouldn't it be more "embarrassing" to drive your mommy's car around compared to a sedan paid for out of your own pocket. Grow up.
And no.. My mom is retired and when she comes to visit me, I drive her around because she doesn't know the roads. Plus, like a good lil' son I'm also making sure there is no problems with it. Why, you think the CTS is a bad car for a Mom..? Or mommy..? Even though it's a nice car, I'm still embarrassed being seen driving it. I'm not a 60 year old retiree with granchildren and the need for 4 doors, like my mommy..!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #30
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
stuff

Stop it, your killing me with this crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #31
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Ford Escape=Soccer Mom

Garrett I don't see any single men driving these types of vehicles. I'm not sure I have heard about the exemption because it is practical rule. By that rule though then a four door car is exempt right? Because it is definately has more utility than a coupe. I can pull the seat down haul more stuff and if I need to haul to people (friends or children) then I can and that makes it practical.

Also I doubt that the Evo and Sti owners are embrassed by four doors.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #32
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Ford Escape=Soccer Mom
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #33
vegasthrowdown
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

-Garrett

"4 door = taken"? That's a broad and stupid generalization. I had Audi S4 through my single years. S4=not embarrasing, neither are: RS4, M5, RS6, any 5 or 7 series, etc.

So how do you feel driving your Ford Escape? Do you wear a bag over your head while you drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
vegasthrowdown
Rep
Drives:

what's more "embarrasing"?

Ford Escape

OR

a "4 door non sporty sedan"?

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #35
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ford Escape=Soccer Mom

Garrett I don't see any single men driving these types of vehicles. I'm not sure I have heard about the exemption because it is practical rule. By that rule though then a four door car is exempt right? Because it is definately has more utility than a coupe. I can pull the seat down haul more stuff and if I need to haul to people (friends or children) then I can and that makes it practical.

Also I doubt that the Evo and Sti owners are embrassed by four doors.

You don't see the difference of a truck and a car..? Really..? I drive a car for pleasure, own a truck for towing, hauling, sporting..etc. Hard to keep a keg and 4 Michigan tailgaters in a BMW coupe.

Admittedly, if I had kids I would be a FATHER and do what was right for my FAMILY and own a 4-door sedan. My kids would over-ride my dilusional fantasy that I'm Mario Andretti.

BTW, if I had need of an Audi RS4, i'd own one right now. I don't! I've owned a sh!t load of nice cars over the years, but always, always had a beater for winter driving. Nothing changed, now my beater is a 2007 Ford. To me thats a nice enough beater to be un-embarrassing..!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #36
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
You don't see the difference of a truck and a car..? Really..? I drive a car for pleasure, own a truck for towing, hauling, sporting..etc. Hard to keep a keg and 4 Michigan tailgaters in a BMW coupe.

Admittedly, if I had kids I would be a FATHER and do what was right for my FAMILY and own a 4-door sedan. My kids would over-ride my dilusional fantasy that I'm Mario Andretti.

BTW, if I had need of an Audi RS4, i'd own one right now. I don't! I've owned a sh!t load of nice cars over the years, but always, always had a beater for winter driving. Nothing changed, now my beater is a 2007 Ford. To me thats a nice enough beater to be un-embarrassing..!
Give it up. You've lost the debate. You've been presented with irrefutable examples of 4-door cars that are not only non-embarrassing, but that most men would prefer driving to their current vehicles (single or family-men, young or old).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #37
vegasthrowdown
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Give it up. You've lost the debate. You've been presented with irrefutable examples of 4-door cars that are not only non-embarrassing, but that most men would prefer driving to their current vehicles (single or family-men, young or old).
smoothstyle1 is correct. Thr Ford Escape driving Garret has lost the debate
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #38
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post

Your stance is jaded. I have not counterdicted myself and the many youthful and afluent, don't drive sedans. They drive sport cars, coupes..!

Do you see a Mustang in sedan form?, Ferrari?, Corvette?, Porsche? (yes, I know), etc? They are American icons that convey masculinity and youthful outlook!

Why does BMW always illustrate the Coupe as more prestigous, and youthful car over the sedan? You don't see a family of 4 going to the beach, with a few blankets and a beachball in the trunk of an e92 on their broshures, do you..?

That is mirrored in every catalouge from every manufactureer, because it's true!

BMW's sedans are less expensive, aswell!

My perception, of the driver of sedan's -VS- coupe's, is not mine exclusively...!

If you opt to choose a sportier car over a utilitarian minivan, suv, wagon, jeep, etc. For your family needs, then you are sacrificing for a greater good. But why would anyone do that, if they arn't married, have kids or recently devourced..?

:iono: ..? Why would you own a sedan?
The Looks?
The Gas mileage?
Easier to clean you car?
More road noise?
More weight?

Most likely because it was cheaper and you have kids. How else can you logically justify owning a sedan..?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #39
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Your stance is jaded. I have not counterdicted myself and the many youthful and afluent, don't drive sedans. They drive sport cars, coupes..!

Do you see a Mustang in sedan form?, Ferrari?, Corvette, Porsche (yes, I know), etc? They are American icons that convey masculinity and youthful outlook!

Why does BMW always illustrate the Coupe as more prestigous, and youthful car over the sedan? You don't see a family of 4 going to the beach, with a few blankets and a beachball in the trunk of an e92 on their broshures, do you..?

That is mirrored in every catalouge from every manufactureer, because it's true!

BMW's sedans are less expensive, aswell!

My perception, of the driver of sedan's -VS- 2 door coupe's is not mine exclusively...!

If you opt to choose a sportier car over a utilitarian minivan, suv, wagon, jeep, etc. For your family needs, then you are sacrificing for a greater good. But why would anyone do that, if they arn't married, have kids or recently devourced..?

:iono: ..? Why would you own a sedan?
The Looks?
The Gas mileage?
Easier to clean you car?
More road noise?
More weight?

Most likely because it was cheaper and you have kids. How else can you logically justifie owning a sedan..?

<edit> Removed the error...

Now granted, I have a kid, and I have a 4 dr, and a 2 dr...either way I can take my kid whereever I go...

But even before I had a kid I had 4 door cars...

Personnaly, I like sedans...I also like coupes...I'm not embarassed to drive a sedan just because I'm alone i nthe car...that's stupid.

Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #40
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
Not sure what you've been smoking, but around here a 328i coupe costs more then the sedan...same with the 335... so the comment that "bmw coupes are cheaper" is wrong...

Now granted, I have a kid, and I have a 4 dr, and a 2 dr...either way I can take my kid whereever I go...

But even before I had a kid I had 4 door cars...

Personnaly, I like sedans...I also like coupes...I'm not embarassed to drive a sedan just because I'm alone i nthe car...that's stupid.

Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:

LOL..!

Reread my post!

I've clearly stated the exact opposite. Coupes cost MORE! Thus the budget minded will always choose the sedan. Perhaps a family man? See my point?

Your not embarrassed because you shouldn't be. Your a father, not a single man!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #41
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

hmmm...I could have sworn that said coupes before...but fine, my bad...

But you seem to have avoided the reall meat and potatoes of the post...

"Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:"
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #42
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
hmmm...I could have sworn that said coupes before...but fine, my bad...

But you seem to have avoided the reall meat and potatoes of the post...

"Now you talk of youth and how "manly" men want coupes...well what about all the 16-30 year old kids that lust for the power of an STI or Evo...both if which have 4 doors...are you saying they aren't "sporty" enough for all the YOUNGER, and mostly MEN that buy them???

And if 4 doors are soooo bad, why didn't you get a 2 door jeep, or something instead of the "girly" Escape?:iono:"

Arn't you refering to a niche market, of certified rally cars, that traditionally over the years, always been sedans..? They are classified as wagons, are they not?

Ford Escape, Because my criteria didn't apply to the jeep. Since this was to be a second vehicle, and winter vehicle, grocerie getter, mountain bike hauler. I went with something low cost, local and inexpensive. The only other competition was the Mazda Suv.

Any other questions?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #43
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Arn't you refering to a niche market, of certified rally cars, that traditionally over the years, always been sedans..? They are classified as wagons, are they not?

Ford Escape, Because my criteria didn't apply to the jeep. Since this was to be a second vehicle, and winter vehicle, grocerie getter, mountain bike hauler. I went with something low cost, local and inexpensive. The only other competition was the Mazda Suv.

Any other questions?
Ahhh...so then why can't the same logic be applied to a sedan as what you chose for the Escape?...

ANd while you're at it, what's wrong with throwing in a little(or a lot) of fun by getting a "sporty" sedan?...My galant for instance, is big enough to haul most of the things I need it to, is fast enough and handles good enough, to allow for some "spirited" driving, and practical enough that if I need too I haul family/friends...

As for what Evo's and STI are classifed as, well how is an EVo a wagon??...the STI is sometimes, but not all the time...and it's only a niche market due the price...there's plenty of "tuners" out there with Lancers and Imrezza's that modding the crap out of them...

That's why you're contradicting yourself...you're saying that if you want something practical, you can't get something sporty....but yes, you can...in the form of a sedan, wagon, and on rare occasions, an SUV...

Now if you're arrguement was that a single guy should be embarrassed driving a minvan, then maybe I'd be on your side...but then chances are if he is driving a minivan, then he has his reasons...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #44
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Wow, I didnt read much on this 2nd page, but WTF? I LOVE SEDANS!

I was a coupe person until I bought a Nissan Titan, I enjoyed the practicality of people being able to get in and out of the back on their own. When fuel peaked at just over $3.00/gallon, I sold that SOB. I then replaced it with my e46 330i ZHP...

I wish the 1er was availabe in sedan form, but I'm still interested. My SO just bought a 4Runner and we have an ES300 as an extra car, so I'm willing to trade the Sedan practicality for, well, basically the performance of the 1er. If we are going to have extra people, we'll take one of the other choices above.

No need to be arrogant and rude at what others like. I dont care for e46 coupes at all, not even M3's. But I love a tastefully modded, or stock, e46 sedan. And I would KILL for an e60 M5...

If you think a coupe gets you closer to a supercar, well, hell, just buy a supercar if thats what you really want...

^ thats my "lower end" car, since its not a coupe. I had the money and could have easily bought an e46 M3, but I dont like them, so I didnt...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0