BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Annoying 30FF - Low pressure side - Any input welcome

I've been dealing with this code lately. It happens when I'm in 4th giving partial throttle around 3500rpms, it doesn't always throw the code though so it isn't the easiest thing to replicate for me right now. I have a smoke test scheduled on tuesday to see if that will help determine where the leak could be. But in the meantime I wanted to see if I could find the problem myself. I'm running 91 Octane at the moment only targeting 14psi of boost. I have 37,000 miles, stock turbos, stock DV's, Stock charge pipe, Stock intercooler. I've checked the connections at the charge pipe and intercooler piping, everything seems to be snug and secure.

Some symptoms I've noticed, not sure if they can be directly related to the 30FF problem, but:

1- Idle at times is not smooth. With the AC off, RPMS should be around 680, however I'm seeing at times that my rpms are staying as high as 800 consistently, then after 2 seconds the idle will climb about 200rpms then drop back down to 800. Not once while it is idling like this will it drop to 680, it will just remain at 800. This leads me to believe its a vacuum leak. Remember this problem does not always occur, usually my car will act fine and rest at 680, only occasionally it will do this weird idling, and twice I have noticed that while the rpm is acting this way, if I go to drive in 4th, partial throttle still in boost slightly, I get the 30FF code and limp mode.

2- When partial throttle in 4th gear, I can occasionally hear my DV's sound growing louder but also sounding "spastic", as in it sounds like boost is fluctuating even though my throttle position remains the same.

3- My boost solenoids have never been replaced, but they do buzz occasionally very very loudly, I've posted a video of it before I believe. I've also read this could be due to the wg fix in the procede, so I'm not really sure if this might pertain to my issue or not.

I saw the DIY on the other forum, my only nooby question I have is, is the low pressure side considered the "cold" side? I assume cold means intake side.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you guys in advance

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

What tune? Is this always before or after oil temps surpass 160F?

Have you poked at anything recently?

Edit: can you log just cruising to monitor manifold pressure/WGDC/etc? Just saw you were Procede tuned. I THINK cold side is past the Intercooler. The charge air is always colder past the IC than before.
      02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze
What tune? Is this always before or after oil temps surpass 160F?

Have you poked at anything recently?

Edit: can you log just cruising to monitor manifold pressure/WGDC/etc? Just saw you were Procede tuned. I THINK cold side is past the Intercooler. The charge air is always colder past the IC than before.
I sure can, what channels would you like to see on the log?

Always happens when the car is fully warm, including the idling issue.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I'm not familiar with Procede, so I am unsure of the logging capabilities.
      02-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
I've seen this problem before on E90 post I believe it was the Vac lines that lead to the boost solenoids. If you don't have a boost leak, this is more than likely the culprit.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=30ff

Also with the smoke detector test it has to be pressurized I believe to tell if you're DV's are leaking. If not it won't have enough PSI to show if they are faulty.
Appreciate 0