BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
cleveland797
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 M2

Question on unique set up...

I apologize in advance if I run on and this makes no sense to some people, but Ill do my best...

Car:
08 135i DCI, JB3, ER FMIC, 19" LM reps, Stock suspension
57k miles

Me: 25, Med device rep (spine), single, no kids. I ride off-road motorcycles and snowboard. Car whore.

I love this car. But I have a few questions. Im posting this here cause I feel its going to be mostly chassis related.

Currently with the stock suspension and 19" (225/35 19, 265/30 19) lm reps I rub fairly often. For work I have to carry surgical sets, which can be pretty heavy. I've stuffed like 12 in the truck/back seat before. Each weighing anywhere from 15-50 lbs...just depends. So lets say worst case, Ill have 400lbs back there. This is rare though, most of the time I would say its closer to 250lbs total in the car.

Most times its just around ABQ hospitals running sets for our cases. But we do a lot of business in Santa Fe and Farmington so I am making this trek fairly often. Hitting expansion joints at 80+ mph isn't fun. It isn't fun without surgical sets in the car.

Next I wanna put a hitch on to pull my little 3 rail dirt bike trailer. I've seen the DIY thread, and know that with what I wanna be able to do, this is work fine. My GF has her 4runner which we usually pull the trailer with (I got her a bike, so she rides too), but when I wanna go ride for a couple hours without her, I don't have to steal her 4runner and leave her home. Max 2 bikes at around 220lbs plus gear and gas shouldn't really be a problem. I saw the dude towing the two jet-skis with his 135i, my set up is much less weight.

With NM's weather I need a winter wheel set up. Its doesn't snow much around ABQ or SF, but it gets into the 10-20's F*. Snow is always possible up to Farmington, and in this business, you HAVE to be there. When your responsible for implants going into someones spine, you gotta be there. I would like to know I can head up to Taos, or WC to snowboard when its coming down and make it up there. I have my stock 18" staggered wheels I want to put tires on.

So I guess Im looking for set up advice on a suspension set-up. Im not super concerned with a low set up or any real "stance". I just want some peoples opinons on what the think I need. I want something that can handle the situations its put in comfortably. Go before show...

Should I put some ultra high perf All Seasons on my 18"s or go to a full 17" winter set up?

And yes, I have owned numerous trucks...not interested in going that route right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I would first look into changing the rear springs to a higher rate. This should help with the extra weight you carry around in the back. This would also be the cheapest route. I can tell I had no trouble with traction in 6" of snow on my Conti DWS tires. Great year round tire.
      12-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
cleveland797
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 M2

Thanks. What about a spring/shock combo all around? Any suggestions?
What size conti dws where you running?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Your rubbing issues are from the large 19's with the 265s...got with something smaller 255 and or 18" wheel and you'll get rid of the issue. Also a smaller rim with more rubber around the rim will help with the expansion joints.
      12-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Pixelblue is right, you will need more spring in the rear. That will help it stay level with weight, but in all honestly I would expect the car to burn through dampers with your level of use with anything aftermarket for this car. They weren't designed for your utility like use. If I were you I would stick with stock everything for the durability benefits and get a smaller set of wheels and tires so that when it is loaded up they wheels aren't buried in the fenders. That's for a cost effective, functional solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland797 View Post
Thanks. What about a spring/shock combo all around? Any suggestions?
What size conti dws where you running?
Yeah that'll be the next logical step up. I would hit up Harold at HP Autowerks. He'll take care of you. Also I agree with the previous post regarding 19" harsh ride. I'm running 225/255 with my tires