E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread

Closed Thread

01-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #353
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
BTW... I'm sucking it up too. Even with the slim discount the car was still a very very good value in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #354
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Actually, in the US until recently they paid x over invoice.

I got slightly better discount because we bought both BMWs from the same dealer.

Audi I think has failed to meet projections with the A3-nice car but gets pricey very quickly with the option packages AND the 2.0 is only a frontie.

When we got the X3 the dealer dealt much more-we got a great deal, because the X3s were (despite the dealer's protestations) not moving as well as they hoped and the one we bought was sitting on the dealer's lot. Today BMWNA President has as much as acknowledged this and vowed to tweak the X3 as a result.

Bottom line NO manufacturer is going to discount a popular model. In the USA, there is much more competition and therefore the pricing is adjusted accordingly - there the discounting started earlier than here. I am certain that today one could probably get a better deal than a couple of momnths ago etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #355
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Someone in another thread (from Montreal) said they were offered 3% right off that bat on the E90. I guess the 1%/2% party is over.

In hindsight I guess I should have checked with more than 2 dealers to see if they really were all sticking to the deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #356
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
Someone in another thread (from Montreal) said they were offered 3% right off that bat on the E90. I guess the 1%/2% party is over.

In hindsight I guess I should have checked with more than 2 dealers to see if they really were all sticking to the deal.

Maybe we got hosed because we bought the car last summer?

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #357
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:

Might have been me ! Hi guys, it's me. I'm back .

Indeed, I got, if my memory is not faulty, 3% off. I didn't even negotiate with the SP. But I must add that, my father and I have already bought 5 Bimmers from the same guy. So I guess he was more than inclined to give me the deal. In fact, he didn't even ask for a down payment. And it was in July. Sorry guys!

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #358
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch

Indeed, I got, if my memory is not faulty, 3% off. I didn't even negotiate with the SP. But I must add that, my father and I have already bought 5 Bimmers from the same guy. So I guess he was more than inclined to give me the deal. In fact, he didn't even ask for a down payment. And it was in July. Sorry guys!

We already know about your story....6 Bimmers, family legacy....some of us aren't so lucky!

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #359
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Maybe we got hosed because we bought the car last summer?
No, I think we just got hosed because we didn't shop around enough like we should have. Anyway, in the grand scheme of things 1% is $400-600 depending on the model and options. I got what I wanted, when I wanted and got at least some discount (and free hat + lock nuts that possibly saved my wheels from being stolen + a groovy pen) and I love the car and the service has been good so far... so what the hell.

That said. I did a single payment lease for my car, and the discount is applied after the residual is calculated. Many car companies don't do that (Audi for one) which is a dirty ploy because with a 63% residual value every $1000 they knock off the price is only saving you $370 + the ammortized interest and the interest on the residual value (or in my case the interest on the residual value only). Which is stupid because a discount negociated on the purchase price of the car shouldn't effect its projected value in 3 or 4 years time. You'd only really be benefiting from that if you were planning on buying the car at the end of the lease in which case you probably shouldn't be leasing.

Cliffs: All car dealers are crooks.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #360
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

In that thread the same guy came back and said he miscalculated and the discount was about 2%.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #361
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch

I got only .5 less than you, and that's only after one other Bimmer..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #362
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
In that thread the same guy came back and said he miscalculated and the discount was about 2%.
I know which one you're talking about, I meant this guy:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=10740&page=2
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #363
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ah, I don't know if he actually got that discount. If he did, it was likely only 3%, not more.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #364
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Got about 2% when I bought mine in May (Got it June 30th). And that was before the 1000$ price hike in September, so I think it wasn't a bad deal.

Actually, I'm all for the unique price. Saves time and energy to everyone. You don't have to shop around the other dealers if you know you'll pay the same, and you'll probably have better service from a salesrep you didn't back up to the wall. The competition should be among brands, not among retailers of the same brand. If they want to give you a bit more for the car you give in exchange to gain a bit of an advantage, that's okay too, but what they are selling should have a price fixed by the parent company, and a competitive one.

You see a DVD at a rock-bottom price at Wal-Mart, are you going to visit all the Wal-Marts around just to try finding a cheaper copy? It's a banner, they're all selling at the same price! Why should car companies act any different?

You go to Canadian Tire buy a shovel, will you start dealing it's price down at the register? If everybody did that the line-ups would have no end... Anyways, they sell to the price they display in their publicity and everyone's okay with that, we just pay what's written on the sticker. Besides, you wouldn't be happy to know your neighbour got 15% off on that same shovel the same day you bought one and at the same store.

The car buying experience should be just the same...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #365
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Wolf, that's what GM is going to try and train their customers to think!!

I agree. My salesman is a gentleman, and I try to be (not around here, that's for sure!), and it's nice to be able to give him the business and (some of) the commission that he deserves. I believe that if you treat those guys right then it'll filter down to your service experience as well, and that is MUCH more important than the purchase experience in my book.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #366
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

"Maybe we got hosed because we bought the car last summer?"

on the opposit as wolf said there was almost 1000$ increase in september....

so we did well.....no regret
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #367
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssam
"Maybe we got hosed because we bought the car last summer?"

on the opposit as wolf said there was almost 1000$ increase in september....

so we did well.....no regret
This is true Ssam....how are those fancy Michelin floor mats working out Sam?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #368
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Haha... so I guess only I got hosed then. Too late to have bought before the price increase, too early for them to start offering better discounts on the car. They also delivered the car with over 70 kms on it, with the gas tank about 70 kms short of full. It didn't really click at the time but I suspect they used my car for a couple of test drives before delivering it to me. I like to think that wasn't the case, but the car I test drove was intended to be sold as new so I know they do that.

Wolf,
You're right. It would be easier to just buy a car and know you're getting a competitive price. You know when you buy a DVD at Wal-Mart that the price is competitive because it's also being sold at a gazillion other stores in the same market (HMV, Best Buy, etc...). That's not the case with cars since the sales channels are much more limited. It doesn't really matter though, even if BMW dealers found a way to not compete with each other they still collectively have to compete with all the alternatives on the market. If they were to all force retail prices they'd be making more money per car, but maybe they'd sell less cars because Audi and Lexus are still willing to deal on price.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #369
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha... so I guess only I got hosed then. Too late to have bought before the price increase, too early for them to start offering better discounts on the car. They also delivered the car with over 70 kms on it, with the gas tank about 70 kms short of full. It didn't really click at the time but I suspect they used my car for a couple of test drives before delivering it to me. I like to think that wasn't the case, but the car I test drove was intended to be sold as new so I know they do that.

Wolf,
You're right. It would be easier to just buy a car and know you're getting a competitive price. You know when you buy a DVD at Wal-Mart that the price is competitive because it's also being sold at a gazillion other stores in the same market (HMV, Best Buy, etc...). That's not the case with cars since the sales channels are much more limited. It doesn't really matter though, even if BMW dealers found a way to not compete with each other they still collectively have to compete with all the alternatives on the market. If they were to all force retail prices they'd be making more money per car, but maybe they'd sell less cars because Audi and Lexus are still willing to deal on price.

If car prices at retail were like other items not being subject to negociation, all the dealers and manufacturers would be able in principle to offer their best price since no haggling is anticipated (price a little higher sell a little lower...) In countries where haggling is the norm, the retail price is "inflated" because the seller does not expect to sell at full price but rather at a discount x to full price.

I am all for no haggling, it is the part of shopping I dislike. Then again, my wife cannot conceive of not haggling or getting something for free, so to each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #370
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
I am all for no haggling, it is the part of shopping I dislike. Then again, my wife cannot conceive of not haggling or getting something for free, so to each his own I guess.

I think haggling is a chick thing.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #371
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

I think you're right...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #372
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I think haggling is a chick thing.
Haha... maybe because chicks are usually smarter about stuff like that.

I don't enjoy haggling, but I'll do it if I think it will save me a worthwhile amount of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #373
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

It all has to do with needs vs. wants. If it's an appliance like an Accord or a Camry, you go and haggle those poor bastards to death.

With a new model BMW...well, we must all be a bit alike in wanting to own the new car on the street...at least that was part of my urge to get this car. And even when there are fleets of them surrounding me on Sherbrooke street, I'll know that I was one of the first dudes in town with that model , and something ridiculous and stupid inside of me will feel somehow satisfied.

Oh, and my financing is Prime minus 1 (Member of the CIBC group of companies).

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #374
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Bottom line: We're all happy with our purchases... but I can bitch anyway.

How did you manage prime minus 1? I have a secured line of credit and know someone at the bank and still the best I could get was prime (TD). I leased the car through BMW finance... 6.7%. Bad interest rate, good residual value (63%).

On the subject of purchasing. Did any of you got for that enhanced warranty deal? 3 years was around $600 IIRC and it supposedly covers everything including brakes. I think in Canada the "all included" warranty is pretty weak compared to US and Europe. I didn't get it but they give you a year to purchase it and it's retroactive for anything you might have needed to buy up until then (i.e. wiper blades).
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread