BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #155
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA1 View Post
Stick with the CA that gave you an order number! He came through for you. Everything else is just talk.

And I'd be concerned that you could end up losing out on your order entirely if you try to get it transferred.

Just my $.02 ....
Well, currently my CA does not want to talk to me. He's had a day and a half to respond to my email/call me. I'd much rather wait a few extra weeks if I have to order again. After all, what's a few weeks if you're saving over $2,000.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #156
Ringmeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs and some other stuff

Garage List
1974 BMW 2002 turbo  [0.00]
2001 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
I look at car sales like this... The car salesman are not your friends, nor are the guys in the service dept., they don't really care about you, they just want to move units in and out efficiently and quickly with minimal hassle. In the end, all these people wanna do is make money and go home.

You can schedule test drives any place and get service almost any place.

Now, if I encounter a salesman or a service writer who consistently and blatantly looks out for my best interests and it shows, then I would send him my friends and family.

But none of that reasoning would push me to spend an additional $2500-$4200 on a car.
Who said anything about $2500-$4200. I said a couple hundred and that's how much more I paid than the guy who used the fax shop around method.
Plus I got the first car and my salesman came in on his day off to deliver it.
If I have a problem with the car I just show up and they take it with no appointment. I've had problems with BMWs out of warranty and the dealer went to bat for me with BMW NA to have the problem repaired free of charge. I saved over $4000 on a 740i that the transmission went bad on after the warranty ran out.

With your attitude and outlook you won't have to worry about finding a salesman or service writer that looks out for your best interests because it will never happen but who cares right because you can brag that you got the best deal around.
Some people view purchasing a car like purchasing a washer/dryer. Just find the best price and buy it. To me I think there is a lot more to think about.
1989 M3 Sport Evo #601
2001 M Coupe
2010 M3 Individual
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #157
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmeister View Post
Who said anything about $2500-$4200. I said a couple hundred and that's how much more I paid than the guy who used the fax shop around method.
If I have a problem with the car I just show up and they take it with no appointment. I've had problems with BMWs out of warranty and the dealer went to bat for me with BMW NA to have the problem repaired free of charge. I saved over $4000 on a 740i that the transmission went bad on after the warranty ran out.

With your attitude and outlook you won't have to worry about finding a salesman or service writer that looks out for your best interests because it will never happen but who cares right because you can brag that you got the best deal around.
Some people view purchasing a car like purchasing a washer/dryer. Just find the best price and buy it. To me I think there is a lot more to think about.

well said...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #158
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is a term that means the polar opposite of "Schadenfreude." In other words, "despair from someone else's good fortune?"
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #159
adrian's bmw
Here to help
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330Cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.payne View Post
Some people were speculating that the dealer didn't have an allocation for me and was just blowing smoke up my skirt. The reality is that my CA was having difficulty inputing the P1 options I wanted because he was trying to change their April allocation from a dealer spec to a customer car.

Adrian was kindly trying to look up my car in the system and noted that Valley BMW didn't have any allocations. I didn't order from Valley, never said I did. I only mentioned them as one of the dealers who responded in a positive manner to my original offer thinking someone else might be able to get a better deal than msrp through them.

-robert
As a proud respondent to your Rizzo method offer, I'm glad that you finally got your production number and that your order is finally in the system.

As I mentioned before, until I see a signed buyer's order, I will continue to be skeptical of the offer you've claimed to have received from this dealer.

Indeed, I speculated based on the available information at the time that you either ordered from Valley (who didn't have an allocation) or after considerable time, the center you've ordered from failed or delayed to put your order in the system. Now that it's in there, I feel compelled to congratulate you on your future BMW purchase at least for now.

I pity the BMW center you ordered your 135i from if they really did do this below market deal. I know who the center is and I feel sorry for them. If they took this deal on their one and only 08 135i allocation that they'll get for the whole year, well, let's just say you can't operate a business with your tail between your legs.

For those of you very few 1 ED guys who've claimed to earn $1,000 over ED invoice for your 1 Series ED's, let's just say that those centers really took net losses for you guys. I pity them as well for having the lack of knowledge that they're giving up alot more than just an allocation to BMW ED. For those BMW centers who have respectfully declined to give up their allocations to ED, I know they recognize the true ramifications of donating coveted 1 allocations.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #160
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:

So in other words, you love to get "the full service lube job up the rear end" and tip the guy as well? Sorry - too easy to resist.:biggrin::biggrin:

Whatever you say, different strokes for different folks. I'm happy for you and what you decided to spend on your car. I on the other hand enjoy saving money on my purchases for other expenses and still get preferential treatment. I could care less if I got the first car on the block.
If you care that much about the Salespeople and Service Writers, why don't you change careers? I have no qualm with the people whom work at the dealer. They are there doing their jobs and its a customer-oriented environment. If I was a true jerk like you imply me as being - I'd negotiate for below invoice pricing. Some of you don't realize this, but dealers still make profit on cars even selling them AT invoice. Some cars have dealer holdback and incentives. The 1 series does not. I know salespeople need to eat to so I am happy to offer $1k over ED invoice.

It all boils down to this. Some people enjoy getting ripped off. Some people justify getting ripped off. Others don't even know its happening. I am neither of the 3 and am a smart shopper.

Maybe you just have too much money and love the respect from others when you throw it around?
      04-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #161
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just got an email from my current CA. He said that he will not do ANYTHING below MSRP. Not even free stuff like key fobs, floor mats, or anything like that.

I sent an email to the new dealership and he should be faxing me over a signed order sheet with the price I want. Until I get that piece of paper and find out if he's actually got allocation, I'm not going to burn any bridges lol

PS: This new CA is on-the-ball. He's already emailed me twice today within an hour. He seems more than happy to do the deal.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #162
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
well said...
Informative post, if only I had some spray to weed out the trolls off my back.
      04-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #163
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian's bmw View Post
As a proud respondent to your Rizzo method offer, I'm glad that you finally got your production number and that your order is finally in the system.

As I mentioned before, until I see a signed buyer's order, I will continue to be skeptical of the offer you've claimed to have received from this dealer.

Indeed, I speculated based on the available information at the time that you either ordered from Valley (who didn't have an allocation) or after considerable time, the center you've ordered from failed or delayed to put your order in the system. Now that it's in there, I feel compelled to congratulate you on your future BMW purchase at least for now.

I pity the BMW center you ordered your 135i from if they really did do this below market deal. I know who the center is and I feel sorry for them. If they took this deal on their one and only 08 135i allocation that they'll get for the whole year, well, let's just say you can't operate a business with your tail between your legs.

For those of you very few 1 ED guys who've claimed to earn $1,000 over ED invoice for your 1 Series ED's, let's just say that those centers really took net losses for you guys. I pity them as well for having the lack of knowledge that they're giving up alot more than just an allocation to BMW ED. For those BMW centers who have respectfully declined to give up their allocations to ED, I know they recognize the true ramifications of donating coveted 1 allocations.
Not sure you got my PM, but publicly wanted thank you for opening up my eyes. :thumbup: Adrian's BMW
      04-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #164
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post

PS: This new CA is on-the-ball. He's already emailed me twice today within an hour. He seems more than happy to do the deal.
Funny you menion that. In my case, the CA that is selling me my car at $2500 under MSRP was WAY more on-the-ball than any of the other CAs I talked to over the last couple weeks that would not go below MSRP. He clearly really wanted my business and was much more responsive. Proactively contacted me to tell me my car's status had changed to "Scheduled for Production" too, and gave me my VIN. I really appreciated that extra effort. Now, if I buy a future BMW (for example, an M1) I would probably go back to him first to see what he could do for me. So in the end not only did I get a much lower price but a harder-working CA too!

The benefits of the Payne Method just keep rolling in :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #165
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Funny you menion that. In my case, the CA that is selling me my car at $2500 under MSRP was WAY more on-the-ball than any of the other CAs I talked to over the last couple weeks that would not go below MSRP. He clearly really wanted my business and was much more responsive. Proactively contacted me to tell me my car's status had changed to "Scheduled for Production" too, and gave me my VIN. I really appreciated that extra effort. Now, if I buy a future BMW (for example, an M1) I would probably go back to him first to see what he could do for me. So in the end not only did I get a much lower price but a harder-working CA too!

The benefits of the Payne Method just keep rolling in :thumbup:
Wow that's crazy, I figured that any CA not making much profit wouldn't be obligated to go over the top. I'm glad you've got a good CA now, I just hope mine stays the same as he is now. :roundel:

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #166
adrian's bmw
Here to help
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330Cic

Quote:
Not sure you got my PM, but publicly wanted thank you for opening up my eyes. :thumbup: Adrian's BMW
You're quite welcome, AchtungE30. That was kinda fishy and I didn't want your feelings to get hurt.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #167
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I just got an email from my current CA. He said that he will not do ANYTHING below MSRP. Not even free stuff like key fobs, floor mats, or anything like that.

I sent an email to the new dealership and he should be faxing me over a signed order sheet with the price I want. Until I get that piece of paper and find out if he's actually got allocation, I'm not going to burn any bridges lol

I would never deal with that guy. I'm willing to pay near list price but something as simple as free floor mats goes a long way to show you they appreciate your business. Out of ~$3600 dealer profit between list and invoice, I would not deal with a sales guy not willing to spend $60 and throw in some free floor mats.
      04-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #168
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Informative post, if only I had some spray to weed out the trolls off my back.
he spoke of dealer service...i agreed with him....

i'm a troll?

like I was a troll when I sided with Difeo...who you were wrong about...

you have problems.....and a 1 series is not going to fix them...

now go away and pest your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #169
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Gentlemen - tone down the rhetoric please. AchtungE30 and buckwheat986, if you want to continue this conversation take it to PMs.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #170
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Gentlemen - tone down the rhetoric please. AchtungE30 and buckwheat986, if you want to continue this conversation take it to PMs.

my apologies..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #171
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well, I got my signed order form today I'll be filling out the paper work and faxing it back by the end of the day hopefully.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #172
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I too signed my new sales order today - should have ED confirmation this week!

In the interest of this new message board, I will tone down my rhetoric.
      04-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #173
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I got my signed order sheet (with manager's signature) today. Everything was right on par with the price I asked for.

I should have a new production number on Wednesday. Once I have the production number I'm going to cancel my current order.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #174
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Heh, yeah, mine was a few hundred bucks cheaper than I expected too after taxes and fees - and I got free floor mats on my order sheet! w00hoo!
      04-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #175
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep

Once you guys get your new production number, don't freak out if when you enter it into the BMW owner's circle site to check status, it looks like the wrong car for a few days. Mine showed up as a 128 for a couple days, then blammo, it changed to my car, with all my specs. Just had me a little concerned for a day or so despite my CA telling me it was just BMW's system being not quite up to date.

Kinda cool once your actual VIN appears on the site too.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #176
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Once you guys get your new production number, don't freak out if when you enter it into the BMW owner's circle site to check status, it looks like the wrong car for a few days. Mine showed up as a 128 for a couple days, then blammo, it changed to my car, with all my specs. Just had me a little concerned for a day or so despite my CA telling me it was just BMW's system being not quite up to date.

Kinda cool once your actual VIN appears on the site too.
One thing still concerns me about the website. It lists all options I ordered except high gloss black interior trim. Should I call and hassle my CA about it?