BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

my car is AW

so does this ONR work for the windows as well or do i have to use a specific window cleaner, like rain-x wipes?

also, no one answered my question about sealant/wax!! since i'm ordering online i need everything in one batch
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #24
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm View Post
my car is AW

so does this ONR work for the windows as well or do i have to use a specific window cleaner, like rain-x wipes?

also, no one answered my question about sealant/wax!! since i'm ordering online i need everything in one batch
no you should use the Adam's glass cleaner on the windows, inside and out. don't waste the ONR on windows.

For wax/sealant I got this stuff.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszett-glanzwax.aspx
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...ckpolitur.aspx

I think you should be washing weekly but don't let the ONR skew your view of how clean you think your car will be. Yes I would go to a full blown hand car wash or detail like once a month or so, but the ONR will do it's job. Keep in mind most of the actual CLEANING of stuck on dirt and grime is actually done in the drying process with your microfiber towels. I would just make sure you have a VERY healthy collection of them as you'll go through a bunch every time you wash.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
Keep in mind most of the actual CLEANING of stuck on dirt and grime is actually done in the drying process with your microfiber towels. I would just make sure you have a VERY healthy collection of them as you'll go through a bunch every time you wash.
This part I can't really agree with.....if you're not getting the dirt off with your wash media then you're going to scratch the surface wiping dirt with a dry MF cloth. The way I wash is using a cotton mitt or grout sponge to wash the panel thoroughly, then I use a waffle weave towel to get the majority of the water off. I then spritz with spray wax or detailer and buff to dry with a second waffle weave.

With my method, the level of dirty media looks like this:

Sponge/mitt- Very dirty

1st waffle weave used- slightly dirty

2nd waffle weave used- perfectly clean

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

There are several products out there that can help you wash the vehicle with just a bucket of water, no hose needed. The ONR is safe on glass and the rest of your exterior. I generally don't use it on filthy paint, but in most situations it works great. Check out the product description of these kits for more details:

DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR
DI Packages Complete Detailing Advanced Kit

Both kits have the products and info you need to wash safely without a hose. Also here is a great article on how to Wash and Wax in 60 minutes. If you want to purchase all the items in this kit check out this link Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit. If you have any questions please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #27
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
This part I can't really agree with.....if you're not getting the dirt off with your wash media then you're going to scratch the surface wiping dirt with a dry MF cloth. The way I wash is using a cotton mitt or grout sponge to wash the panel thoroughly, then I use a waffle weave towel to get the majority of the water off. I then spritz with spray wax or detailer and buff to dry with a second waffle weave.

With my method, the level of dirty media looks like this:

Sponge/mitt- Very dirty

1st waffle weave used- slightly dirty

2nd waffle weave used- perfectly clean
i'm talking about the little stuff, not big chunks... think on the granular level. The ONR wash will get all the other stuff off. The microfiber is supposed to take out the little tiny dirt particles, it's like flossing for your paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #28
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
There are several products out there that can help you wash the vehicle with just a bucket of water, no hose needed. The ONR is safe on glass and the rest of your exterior. I generally don't use it on filthy paint, but in most situations it works great. Check out the product description of these kits for more details:

DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR
DI Packages Complete Detailing Advanced Kit

Both kits have the products and info you need to wash safely without a hose. Also here is a great article on how to Wash and Wax in 60 minutes. If you want to purchase all the items in this kit check out this link Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit. If you have any questions please let me know.
cool thanks for the tips.

i think i'm all set in my decision to try out ONR, let's see how that works for me... one thing though that I can't decide, I've read reviews on this forum and elsewhere about this sealant:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfi...ct-description

are there any spray on sealant or waxes (like the one on the 60 minute wash and wax kit) that'll give me similar quality? I'm guessing this blackfire takes forever to apply?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:

i think i'm all set in my decision to try out ONR, let's see how that works for me... one thing though that I can't decide, I've read reviews on this forum and elsewhere about this sealant:

are there any spray on sealant or waxes (like the one on the 60 minute wash and wax kit) that'll give me similar quality? I'm guessing this blackfire takes forever to apply?
Blackfire is actually very easy to apply, it's not quite spray-on easy, but it's just a wipe on, let dry, remove sort of product, nothing tricky. It is a last stage product though, so any polishing would need to be done before hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #30
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Blackfire is actually very easy to apply, it's not quite spray-on easy, but it's just a wipe on, let dry, remove sort of product, nothing tricky. It is a last stage product though, so any polishing would need to be done before hand.
for a brand new car i don't need to do any polishing though right?

wait I need to remove it with a towel after it dries? ughh this detailing stuff is starting to get very confusing
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #31
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Honestly I guess im just very picky. Even if the car wasnt FILTHY and I was going to wash it, I would def do no less then my typical spray, foam, sponge, no bucket, blow dry, windows inside n out, wheels clean n brushed, tires treated and paint detailed after. Anything less does nothing but disappoint, leave spots n leftover shit all over the paint that honestly, no damn no-rinse will ever take care of unless you wanna spend 4 hours just on the paint (not even talkin bout the detailing after). Also, id rather not go thru 1000 towels a month. I have some sweet mf towels, the good ones, from chem guys. Some for buffing, some for picking up polish, some only for windows and some shit ones to use if I chose to polish n wax the wheels or something.

Hell man, you cud just come to my rents garage n check out the array of stuff I have, I have a whole "bookshelf" of different chemicals, towels, foamers, etc. Sounds n looks like alot but it all has a purpose. And really I prob have no where near as much crap as some of these guys listing like 10-15 chemicals n shit just for a normal wash, etc. Thats just nuts. Ive narrowed my typical wash to pretty much the soap, wheel cleaner, aio polish, detailing spray, rain-x, invisible glass and tire treatment. Period

And hell, even with that narrowed list and having done this type of shit for a while now, typical wash, dry n detail still takes me around 3 hours, moreso if I do a heavy polish n wax. .Imagine the time itd take you with all that no-rinse nonsense? Or maybe im just that meticulous. Keep in mind, I dont rush and I take my time except for the blow drying cuz the quicker the better there, but to me, washin n detailin the car is a relaxing "chore" for me to do on a day off, if I couldnt take care of it this way or be forced to pay someone else consistently to do so, i wouldnt get near as much enjoyment out of the car and seeing how goddamn gorgeous I made it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Honestly I guess im just very picky. Even if the car wasnt FILTHY and I was going to wash it, I would def do no less then my typical spray, foam, sponge, no bucket, blow dry, windows inside n out, wheels clean n brushed, tires treated and paint detailed after. Anything less does nothing but disappoint, leave spots n leftover shit all over the paint that honestly, no damn no-rinse will ever take care of unless you wanna spend 4 hours just on the paint (not even talkin bout the detailing after). Also, id rather not go thru 1000 towels a month. I have some sweet mf towels, the good ones, from chem guys. Some for buffing, some for picking up polish, some only for windows and some shit ones to use if I chose to polish n wax the wheels or something.

Hell man, you cud just come to my rents garage n check out the array of stuff I have, I have a whole "bookshelf" of different chemicals, towels, foamers, etc. Sounds n looks like alot but it all has a purpose. And really I prob have no where near as much crap as some of these guys listing like 10-15 chemicals n shit just for a normal wash, etc. Thats just nuts. Ive narrowed my typical wash to pretty much the soap, wheel cleaner, aio polish, detailing spray, rain-x, invisible glass and tire treatment. Period

And hell, even with that narrowed list and having done this type of shit for a while now, typical wash, dry n detail still takes me around 3 hours, moreso if I do a heavy polish n wax. .Imagine the time itd take you with all that no-rinse nonsense? Or maybe im just that meticulous. Keep in mind, I dont rush and I take my time except for the blow drying cuz the quicker the better there, but to me, washin n detailin the car is a relaxing "chore" for me to do on a day off, if I couldnt take care of it this way or be forced to pay someone else consistently to do so, i wouldnt get near as much enjoyment out of the car and seeing how goddamn gorgeous I made it.
PMed you
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #33
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

So I just found a decent car wash about 15 miles away from home (close to work though) that did have clean high pressure water !

Didn't have all my stuff on me but at least i could spray the car down, spray a little soap from the high pressure thing (no i did not scrub with anything it was just to get that nasty layer of dirt out of my car, i'm aware of how bad that soap is), and rinse the car again. looks much better already. AA wheel protectant works insanely well btw for those of you who haven't tried... 95% of the superficial dust came right off and the rims look pretty decent.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #34
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:

The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger provides exceptional protection and is very easy to work with. It applies quite easy and you buff it off about 15+ minutes later with relative ease. Just use 1 - 2 clean microfiber towels (DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel) and you will have no problems. I can usually apply and remove a coat on an average sized car in about 45+ minutes.

Don't forget about the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal, it's as good as advertised. You literally just spray it on the paint or applicator and buff it on and you are done. It's not quite as durable as the Wet Diamond but it's protection lasts months. It's really the only spray on product that I can comfortably say lasts months not days or weeks. So if time is an issue this is definitely the product for you. I also use this product to protect my glass and wheels because it's so easy to apply!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #35
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
You can also use Griot's products. I like em.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Too much to read, so I guess I will say how I wash my car. If I am repeating things, ignore it. I live in a Condo also without hose, so I know how it feels at first.

My first hand wash was last week after I got my car for a month! I was waiting for my orders of "Detailer's Pride Rinseless Wash & Gloss" and "Klasse HGSG" (Sealant). Bought my 16 Microfiber Towel from "Canadian Tire" (Canada) @ 3.99 for 8pcs (on specail, was $9.99) plus a bucket.

What I did:

- $2 Self wash with only soap than rinse
- drive home and park underground than head up back home with my bucket
- 1.5 Gallons of water in the bucket from my bathtube
- head down to underground where my car parked
- 2oz of rinesless wash in the bucket
- Microfiber sponge in the bucket and start washing
- used 2 microfiber to dry off the car
- clean my rims with 1 cotton towel
- went back up, and took a shower myself
- DONE, takes around 1 hour

What I found out:
I need more water to clean off my rims, so I am planning on buying another bucket tonight.
It looks bad carry'n 2 bucket with water, so I am planning on buying 2 bottle of water with handle (around 3 to 4 gallons in total).
With the setup I will have, I can wash and wax my car at the self wash at night with my friends also. So everything is mobile, all I want is a place to chill with.

Hope it helps, PM me if you thought of any suggestion, I am open for them! And I do have a place where you could order your rinesless washes if you are in the US with 10% off.

Kcc

Last edited by Kcc; 09-07-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #37
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Too much to read, so I guess I will say how I wash my car. If I am repeating things, ignore it. I live in a Condo also without hose, so I know how it feels at first.

My first hand wash was last week after I got my car for a month! I was waiting for my orders of "Detailer's Pride Rinseless Wash & Gloss" and "Klasse HGSG" (Sealant). Bought my 16 Microfiber Towel from "Canadian Tire" (Canada) @ 3.99 for 8pcs (on specail, was $9.99) plus a bucket.

What I did:

- $2 Self wash with only soap than rinse
- drive home and park underground than head up back home with my bucket
- 1.5 Gallons of water in the bucket from my bathtube
- head down to underground where my car parked
- 2oz of rinesless wash in the bucket
- Microfiber sponge in the bucket and start washing
- used 2 microfiber to dry off the car
- clean my rims with 1 cotton towel
- went back up, and took a shower myself
- DONE, takes around 1 hour

What I found out:
I need more water to clean off my rims, so I am planning on buying another bucket tonight.
It looks bad carry'n 2 bucket with water, so I am planning on buying 2 bottle of water with handle (around 3 to 4 gallons in total).
With the setup I will have, I can wash and wax my car at the self wash at night with my friends also. So everything is mobile, all I want is a place to chill with.

Hope it helps, PM me if you thought of any suggestion, I am open for them! And I do have a place where you could order your rinesless washes if you are in the US with 10% off.

Kcc
Haha..good lord. On one hand that seems very Maguiverish and yet on the other hand I cringe to think how your paint looks up close with a UV light after a couple washes like that

Honestly, If I was really in a situation with no hose or water or area to wash, I wouldnt try some crazy shit like that with a bucket, etc. I would just use the spray n wash places every couple weeks and then every once in a while pay a reputable car wash to wash and dry the car for me as long as they did it the proper way, which some places still do. Then right after, take the car somewhere maybe with a ceiling overhead or wherever and break out the detailing stuff n detail since u dont need water for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #38
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Haha..good lord. On one hand that seems very Maguiverish and yet on the other hand I cringe to think how your paint looks up close with a UV light after a couple washes like that

Honestly, If I was really in a situation with no hose or water or area to wash, I wouldnt try some crazy shit like that with a bucket, etc. I would just use the spray n wash places every couple weeks and then every once in a while pay a reputable car wash to wash and dry the car for me as long as they did it the proper way, which some places still do. Then right after, take the car somewhere maybe with a ceiling overhead or wherever and break out the detailing stuff n detail since u dont need water for that.
hey do you know if Sun Motor Cars does a good job with their detailing? I'm thinking of leaving my car there for the day for the exterior detailing (no need to do interior since my car's brand new, just a quick clean, which they do automatically). They charge like $135 and I know they hand wash it and wax it. I wanted to get sealant applied but they don't do that, I'd have to do it myself... And i'm afraid that just driving from carlisle pike to downtown harrisburg will get dust on my paint again (especially due to the construction on 581) and I won't be able to apply the sealant in my building garage.

FML
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #39
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
hey do you know if Sun Motor Cars does a good job with their detailing? I'm thinking of leaving my car there for the day for the exterior detailing (no need to do interior since my car's brand new, just a quick clean, which they do automatically). They charge like $135 and I know they hand wash it and wax it. I wanted to get sealant applied but they don't do that, I'd have to do it myself... And i'm afraid that just driving from carlisle pike to downtown harrisburg will get dust on my paint again (especially due to the construction on 581) and I won't be able to apply the sealant in my building garage.

FML
Oh hell no, please dont use their detailing business. The regular touchless carwash they use everytime u go in for service does an ok job at just washing, but I would never trust any dealership to do a full job, specially wouldnt pay that much.

Im tellin ya, email that guy who's like i sent you, the Attn-2-detail guy. I sent him an email sayin I wanted to get my car to him soon as well, unfortunately, the damn sponge I thought id give a try instead of my mf mitt, turns out that the sponge left LOADS of micro scratches all over my car when I washed her last sunday. Not noticeable unless u get up close and use a UV light or in the sun, but theyre there and its from the damn sponge...Trust me, if you're washing the car like I do, even with foam, etc. lil bits of grit can still scratch the fuck outta the car, like it did mine, the MF mitt will not since any lil bits of shit it lifts away inside the pile. So now I need to get my car to him and have him do a machine polish, etc. and general prep for winter like i was going to do, just a little later. But hopefully that should get rid of the shit i did to it, car looks great, just in the sun at an angle u can still tell theyre there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #40
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh hell no, please dont use their detailing business. The regular touchless carwash they use everytime u go in for service does an ok job at just washing, but I would never trust any dealership to do a full job, specially wouldnt pay that much.

Im tellin ya, email that guy who's like i sent you, the Attn-2-detail guy. I sent him an email sayin I wanted to get my car to him soon as well, unfortunately, the damn sponge I thought id give a try instead of my mf mitt, turns out that the sponge left LOADS of micro scratches all over my car when I washed her last sunday. Not noticeable unless u get up close and use a UV light or in the sun, but theyre there and its from the damn sponge...Trust me, if you're washing the car like I do, even with foam, etc. lil bits of grit can still scratch the fuck outta the car, like it did mine, the MF mitt will not since any lil bits of shit it lifts away inside the pile. So now I need to get my car to him and have him do a machine polish, etc. and general prep for winter like i was going to do, just a little later. But hopefully that should get rid of the shit i did to it, car looks great, just in the sun at an angle u can still tell theyre there.
i did talk to him, but he charges exactly the same thing. think he's a better bet then?

and is to all of you out there.. do dealerships usually suck when it comes to detailing?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #41
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

+1. Sun has a decent facility but I would go with a place that specializes in detailing as Zack recommended. Especially if the price is the same. I hear you on the 581 road project. Construction here is a long a painful process. The Turnpike is worth every penny just to avoid that crap!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #42
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
i did talk to him, but he charges exactly the same thing. think he's a better bet then?

and is to all of you out there.. do dealerships usually suck when it comes to detailing?
Yes he is def the better bet, specially considering detailing is ALL HE DOES, that and that amount includes wash, clay, polish, sealant. The dealer does not. Also, rick is cool, and he uses softened water when washing, he has mineral collection/salt tanks all his wash water goes thru, this basically makes washing ALOT easier and more effective, and also almost completely eliminates spots. I have something sorta like that just not near as big and nice, mines just a thing i attach to the hose, its a little canister with resin that filters and semi-softens the water, however the resin gets used up pretty quickly im finding out, ive used it about 6 times and the canister is def out, they say you can "recharge" the resin with water softener salts, i tried that but doesnt do as much as i hoped, i saw some spots when I last washed on sunday, but its alot cheaper than the tank method, specially for someone like me who only washes like once every 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #43
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Get used to the microscratches- there is NO WAY to prevent them unless you are literally not touching the surface of your car when washing it. I've been super careful since the car was new, always have a good coat of LSP on it, 2 bucket wash, clean cotton wash media etc etc etc. I've NEVER brought it through an automatic wash, touchless or otherwise. You will go have it polished out and the next couple of times you wash it the micro marrs will come back- trust me. I've learned to live with them and I'm much happier for it. My car still looks great to most people who look at it but like you said in the sun or under florescent lighting you can easily see them.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #44
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Ok so I scheduled a time with the detail guy in Etown next Tuesday, thanks thez99! He told me you're paying a visit soon..?

I'm going to put in an order for some ONR, microtowels, etc to use in between washes since I can clearly see I won't be able to fully wash my car more than once a month. Hopefully that'll keep my car clean for longer

So today as I left work I looked at my filthy dirty AW 135 and felt a huge pain in the heart. I drove over 400 miles traveling over the last weekend alone. My front bumper was (is) covered in huge dirt spots, my windshield is full of bird poop, and my car has this yucky layer of dust that has been drying in 80 degree sun for forever. My leather seats are dirty, my interior needs some vacuuming. I was just heartbroken and decided I couldn't handle another day of that.

Furthermore, something about a layer of dirt + sun on my paint sounded really bad in my mind. So I decided to drive through one of these touchless car washes, opting for just water and soap obviously. It got of the dirt layer, but the big dirt spots (especially on the front bumper) remain. The car wash had no effect on the windshield, so I bought one of those window wipes from a vending machine to clean it and it didn't do much.. Actually, it did: I have horrible spots on my windows now, looks like dried water/soap.

Well enough storytelling. I guess this is the question to ask to you guys:

Is doing what I did worse that just waiting 6 days to get the car detailed? I don't know what's worse for the paint, having it sit in the sun when it's filthy or going through one of those car washes...

PS: I'm still getting the car cleaning properly, obviously. This was just a temporary solution - a very shitty one but I'm less unhappy about how the car looks now than I was before. It looks slightly less crappy, it's sad that I'm even celebrating this...
Appreciate 0