BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Exige S, 130i

Well it's the big day tomorrow. I've just been a got the bank cheque so we are all systems go. I answered my own mirror question by going through the BMW spare parts list and it shows that if you order electric seats they automatically install the exterior mirror motors that have the memory feature. The dealer was right, if only they had said something to that effect. Will be great to get it run in.

I've just got a smartycam with ECU bridge so I hope to get some video up here soon thats shows a lowly 130i in action.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersracing View Post
I've just got a smartycam with ECU bridge so I hope to get some video up here soon thats shows a lowly 130i in action.
Congrats! Be sure to show off your new ride here.

Just had a read about the smartycam, looks awesome. If you don't mind, how much was it?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #25
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
Congrats! Be sure to show off your new ride here.

Just had a read about the smartycam, looks awesome. If you don't mind, how much was it?

Cheers.
By the time you get ECU bridges and the like its close to 2 grand. We only decided to do it because in two weeks we are off for three weeks around NZ with the Exige on the drivenzclassic and thought we'd get some awesome video.

We've always used a tape video camera with an external pencil cam like we did here but the Exige is so small that we couldn't really spare the room for the handycam and all it's foam packing for three weeks so the smartycam was selected as much for size as anything.

I just have to figure out how to split the AVI and I can fire up some vid from a quick trip in the wrx.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #26
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Congrats Peter
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #27
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Congrats Ian!
Hopefully we get to see some footage from the trip!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #28
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep

We picked up the 130. It's the first white one Ive seen in the flesh and it is nice. The dealer threw in some goodies and all was sweetness and light. Then i found that in spite of emails and phone calls explaining that the number plates would be temporary until we got our personalised ones and instructing that they just be fitted with double sided tape some moron has just drilled holes in the ends of our new car and banged some self tappers in to mount the plates. Now the holes wont even be in the right place for the new plates so it will need more holes, or the new plates will be taped and the holes will (hopefully) be hidden but it's not what I wanted and asked for on a brand new car. I am really pissed off!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #29
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Hi Peter!

I also ordered a 130i M sport in white!!! I got the xennons, business nav, upgraded speaker system and roof. I ordered in June and am expecting october 31st... but after hearing your sad story i'm not so sure...

Please make me happy with pictures of your car!! I've called the dealer 3 times and still no VIN number

Joseph
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #30
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeff View Post
Hi Peter!

I also ordered a 130i M sport in white!!! I got the xennons, business nav, upgraded speaker system and roof. I ordered in June and am expecting october 31st... but after hearing your sad story i'm not so sure...

Please make me happy with pictures of your car!! I've called the dealer 3 times and still no VIN number

Joseph
I'm in Singapore right now but when I get back I'll grab some happy snaps. Might have time to get some video before we go to NZ but in spite of the dealers advice to not bother running it in I'm going to get it up to speed gradually.

Last edited by petersracing; 09-28-2009 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #31
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Only just notice your thread about the 130, nice choice.

Me I have had mine for + 3 years now and it is really hard to let go of. My lease expired at the beginning of the year but no matter how hard I try to replace it I can't get excited about anything <$100K so still driving the thing around for a bit longer LOL

I am sure you and the BOSS will enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #32
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep

Did any of you guys consider the R32 when thinking about the 130?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #33
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Did any of you guys consider the R32 when thinking about the 130?
Yes we sure did. Nice car in a lot of ways and the dealer experience was quite different from what we got from our local BMW place. I had two issues with R32.

If there had been a manual available it might have made the difference. The DSG is quite awesome under many conditions but ultimately I couldnt live with a car where you had to wait for it to realise you had pressed the accelerator before it got going. If I lived somewhere else (like on the end of the SE car park in Melb) and the driving conditions were different I might make another choice. It's that horses for courses thing.

I also think the BMW is also a nicer drive (but slower) as the Vmotion on the R32 is essentially FWD until the computer decides you need rear drive. The BMW is more nimble and the better balance definitely shows.

The R32 is now consigned to history from a new car sense. These are the last of the large engined NA hatches as all the engines are going smaller and T/C to chase emissions. There will be lots of kilowatts but the normally aspirated experience is almost over in this particular market segment. The series 6 Golf R only has AWD over the GTI now as far as I know.

England no longer takes the 130 so the RHD production line must be in jeopardy. It will be interesting to see how long it's still available here.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #34
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Forget the R32, it's overweight and about to be replaced. The next gen is the Golf R which would be worth a look if the price is right. I'd also suggest you have a look at the next Renaultsport Megane if you're shopping against the 130i. Perhaps even the Renaultsport Clio if you don't need as much space and want to save some dollars. They won't have the premium feel of the BMW but are very quick and fun cars.
      09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #35
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

R32 in current shape was not available when I was looking at there was speculation it was going to cost the same as a 130. It ended up being a lot cheaper but I like my car anyway.

Have been trying to convince myself and go back to the old days of a V8 but I just can't get over the shit interior of a HSV LOL even when they have been discount them 15 - 20 K for the run out before the E2.

Guess I will just keep enjoying the 1er why I have it
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #36
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Forget the R32, it's overweight and about to be replaced. The next gen is the Golf R which would be worth a look if the price is right. I'd also suggest you have a look at the next Renaultsport Megane if you're shopping against the 130i. Perhaps even the Renaultsport Clio if you don't need as much space and want to save some dollars. They won't have the premium feel of the BMW but are very quick and fun cars.
Hi Guran,

I used to drive a Renaultsport Clio 172, and damn it was the best car I ever had. If it hadnt been for all the reliability problems (and lack of room ) I would have kept it. I then moved onto a Mazda 3 MPS and initially was taken in by the breathtaking acceleration. I soon began to realise what a one trick pony it was and even though it killed the Clio for reliability, it never made up for its lack of handling, balance and excitement.

I guess it was fun being able to overtake cars in 6th gear on the highway, and i guess for long distance no other car will ever be as strong as the MPS (BMW 135 aside). Its just no fun being able to accelerate that fast and not hear any manic engine growling at 7,000rpm like it was in the clio. It was just the MPS had no feel.

I'm sorta hoping that the 130i will bring back some of that magic excitement that i got everytime I got in the Clio. Only problem is i'm having second thoughts based on 1)the resale value (the coupe has now come out and the new 1 series hatch will be out soon, and 2) everyone is telling me i could have saved about 5k and bought a run out R32.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #37
type one
Rep
Drives: 130i

Went through the same list as you and came up with the same result, love my 130i !

gets taily enough for some fun in the wet, but then traction kicks in and everybody is happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #38
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type one View Post
Went through the same list as you and came up with the same result, love my 130i !

gets taily enough for some fun in the wet, but then traction kicks in and everybody is happy.
Awwwww mate..... how good was the ClioSport.... i just cant believe how heavy the newer one is. I've heard the new Civic Type R is a good replacement?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 01:55 AM   #39
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Awwwww mate..... how good was the ClioSport.... i just cant believe how heavy the newer one is. I've heard the new Civic Type R is a good replacement?
Nope. The Civic Type R sounds brilliant when it revs its tits off, but there's not much go to back it up, and the torsion beam rear suspension is a major step backwards. Admittedly, the one I drove about a year ago didn't have the LSD which has improved the car by all reports.

If you want feel and engagement, could I suggest you have a drive of the new MX-5? As much as I love my 135i, it doesn't have anywhere near as much feel as the little roadster. I realise you've been burnt once by Mazda, but the MX-5 is a superb car ... if you can live with only having two seats and a smallish boot.
      10-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #40
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep

Some pics of our new toy

http://petersracing.com/blog/?page_id=136

Last edited by petersracing; 11-16-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #41
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
If you want feel and engagement, could I suggest you have a drive of the new MX-5? As much as I love my 135i, it doesn't have anywhere near as much feel as the little roadster. I realise you've been burnt once by Mazda, but the MX-5 is a superb car ... if you can live with only having two seats and a smallish boot.

Totally agree. You have to drive the MX-5 is a wet day at Sandown! You may not want to give the key back to the dealer!
      10-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #42
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep

This is why I sent them mails and phoned Adelaide BMW to confirm they weren't going to just screw the number plates to my car. The base wage clown that did this ought not be to working on a lawn mower. The huge burrs on the inside of the number plates are mashed into the paintwork by the self tapping screw they munged into the plastic. Hey it's just a road car but how do you trust the company who does this to service your car. And Ive still not had a reply to my complaint. Adelaide BMW, just stay no!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #43
SP 7757
Rep
Drives: 125 LMB, 1988 Prelude

Scary to say the least...

Completely unacceptable, diplomatically speaking

Would be concerned about rust over the next few years - not uncommon to see some rust visible around the screws on number plates of European vehicles in SA.

Can't remember if it's been mentioned that our NSW Saab dealer provided us with brackets which work like a gem; it is apprently illegal to screw number plates through anything but screw holes in NSW...

How about getting in touch with BMW Australia?
Appreciate 0