BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #45
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbox View Post
With any of the drop-in filters, can you hear the DV?
It Might sound corny, but I like to hear the PSHHHT between shifts, and with no intake options for the N55 yet, I have no choice but to use a drop in.
The HP Autowerks, Inc. drop-in replacement filter has been tested with great results.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416803
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #46
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Why doesn't someone put these things on a flow bench to measure increased airflow after the filter? Ceteris perebus, I can assume if it flows better it'll make power under increased boost (assuming that the panel is a restriction as opposed to the diameter of the intake tract)

Dyno results are *way* too variable to be able to measure such a small power delta reliably, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Nick brings up a good point. Most cotton-gauze filters will share the same characteristics - cotton, oil, mesh and rubber/polyurethane construction. The MS54B32 goes a bit further, which we'll get into:

Layers
The Macht Schnell N54B30 are an 8-layer construction, twice as many cotton piles as K&N and 3 more than aFe. This allows more filtering and greater oil saturation for dust collection.

Wicking
An important factor not really talked about in the past is the bleed area or "wicking". This is the urethane bleed that is soaked up by the gauze, reducing the surface area of the filter and limiting airflow:

Here's an example of poor wicking on a panel-type filter:

This example (using the Macht Schnell MS54B32 filters as an example) shows very little bleed, keeping the wick area to a minimum and permitting maximum airflow:

Is it the cheapest? probably not. The best? Without a doubt. Rest assured - you are getting the best stock-replacement filter for your N54's powerplant.

Look into this thread here, which will show Mr 5's 335, with the current world record-holding N54 on the dragstrip, equipped with MS filters: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349293
Green made a very nice drop in for my A4 2.0T, but I don't know if they make an application for the 135i.
They too make a very clean style filter with non of the wicking or rubber flashing that can happen with a K&N.
I've used K&N mostly in my bikes and cars and they've always been great.
I ran a large cone style in my 1990 Mit/Plymouth Laser turbo for about 130,000 miles, and the engine still ran great when I sold it.
So, in my singular experience, I have no complaints or problems with K&N.
I did like the better build quality of the Green filter.

You mention the added layers of cotton in the MS filter, and you claim that the added wicking of the K&N restricts air flow.
However, I don't see how doubling the cotton layers isn't adding more restriction than the extra wicking of the K&N.
Any added layers for extra protection is also going to add restriction.

For me, these types of filters have a minimal, if any, effect on how easy the engine can breathe in.
The greatest benefit is that they are reuseable, so in the long run they save us money and offer less junk for the land-fill.
Appreciate 0