BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

DIY Request: M3 tension rods, wishbones, and front sway

Hi folks,

I've read that adding the M3 front tension rods, wishbones and swaybar can really help to tighten up the front suspension and reduce body roll.

I did find one DIY here on this process, but there poster did not include any pics, so I'd like to request a more visual presentation if anyone has anything?

I've been thinking of doing this, but when you get into doing a project that can immobilize your car, planning to have all the correct parts on hand before starting is key to success, and a pic is worth 1000 words...

Thanks,

ianc
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Try a search at e90post also, because I think more have done it there. The following links are from Berk (with lots of pics) and my install here on 1addicts:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ension+install

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ension+install

There are more to found as well. (Take mine as an amateurs POV, so I don't guarantee anything!) I was nervous and searched everything a million times before my install, but I have to say it was very easy. It can be intimidating on paper, because as you said it could be immobilizing! With the alignment after the install, it is almost imobilizing, just be prepared for that! The install is pretty straight-forward, literally unbolt the old parts and put in the new parts. See my install blurb from my post above to see some tips that helped make it easier. It does take some moving of the brake around to get out some of the bolts and pieces, so just take your time and work with it. If you buy the kit from HP they will include all of the parts needed, so there is no worries there.

My main caution to you is: if you are installing the wishbones at your home, be very careful driving anywhere without an alignment. Mine was dangerously far out, and I had someone follow me to the alignment shop. In fact, the first shop turned me away because the toe was so far out of alignment...but after that is sorted you will be very happy with the parts!

Hope this helps!

Tim
      03-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Hi Tim,

Thanks alot for the link to the E90 post about the Berk machine. That was just what I was looking for. I've only been a BMW owner for a couple of weeks, so I was happy to find 1addicts.com, but haven't explored much else yet. That is a big help. Yours was in fact the post I initially read on the subject, but I was looking for some pics as well...

It seems clear to me that if I want to approach the handling feel of my old 80's 911, I will probably need to add springs as well, as I just feel like I'm sitting very high in the car and the springs feel a little soft to me. I've read some posts on installing springs and it seems like everyone has trouble getting the strut out from under the fender, but if you have the wishbone off, it should prove much to be not an issue. Ride comfort is not really an issue to me I don't think. Right now the car doesn't really transmit much in the way of road feedback to me, so if I need to have a harder ride to get this, then so be it.

Still thinking about the springs. I see the most popular options are the H&R's and the Eibachs, although the rake seems a bit much with the H&R Sports (as alot of people have noticed). I have to say that the notion of a progressive spring does not seem attractive to me, since it would seem to add a layer of inconsistency to the car's handling if the spring rate is not linear. Would like to read more thoughts on this though, and I don't know if the H&R's, Eibachs and Swifts that I've read about are linear or progressive? I don't even know if there is a linear option available for our cars. I was thinking of retaining the stock dampers for awhile as the car only has about ~1K miles on it. Ditto the RFT's. These will go in a year or two, but I'm not going to chuck a practically new set of tires...

Anyway, thanks again for the link,

ianc

P.S. One more question:

Quote:
you will need a torx and a 21mm wrench
What size torx would that be? I don't really have any torx at all except some small drivers that came with a Craftsman screwdriver set, but it sounds like I will need some, along with the 21 and perhaps an 18 mm. Porsche didn't use any of these...

Last edited by ianc; 03-07-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Hey Ianc,

Sorry I missed your post. There are a few people here that have these, so maybe they can help. I forget the size of the torx needed (sorry!), but I remember it is quite big. It is on the back of the hub, and this is what keeps the bushing from just turning while you tighten the other end of it. You might be able to peak under the car and see it without the wheel off. If you see this picture, it will be where the it attached to the hub. On the bottom you can actually see the torx! Search around the forums though, and you may find some better information. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. Otherwise, good luck with the installation!

Tim
Attached Images

07-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
My main caution to you is: if you are installing the wishbones at your home, be very careful driving anywhere without an alignment. Mine was dangerously far out, and I had someone follow me to the alignment shop. In fact, the first shop turned me away because the toe was so far out of alignment...but after that is sorted you will be very happy with the parts!
Before driving the car, adjust the alignment yourself. Adding the M3 bits results in severe toe in. To get the toe back to where it was before you added the M3 bits, adjust both tie rods by exactly 3.5 turns (longer). Mark the tie rod so you can count the rotations, and make sure you start and finish with the tie rod outer end centered in its range of travel.
Appreciate 0