E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Afraid 335 rumors are true - second thoughts.

11-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #23
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverE90Sport
If it came from a salesman then it must be true...
salesmen are morons!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 11:26 AM   #24
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
salesmen are morons!
As always, there are exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #25
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
The people who bought the 545 are themselves a little miffed because that engine only had a 2 year run.
they forget the engine was already a few years old when it was put in the 545i. It came out in the 745i.

Just like the 330i engine came out in the 630i well before the 3 series

A engines production life is from the first model it was introduced in
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 05:58 AM   #26
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

brucec32 said in part, "...the vast majority <snip> do not use anywhere near the max power these improved engines offer. <snip>...I for one would have liked to see a low-content version of the E90 made available (no sunroof, auto wipers, auto up/down windows, etc) for $3,000 less to give those of us who love the driving aspects of the car a chance to own one for under $30K.<snip>...What makes a BMW unique compared to most mainstream sport sedans is the road feel, steering, and handling/ride balance, not brute power."
__________________________________________________ __Very well stated, Bruce. Many of us old timers in the BMW CCA have been making this pitch but BMW NA hasn't paid much attention. Their attitude seems to be that as long as we believe the car delivers on the attributes you mentions, we will hang around while the company can concentrate on conquests who value the gee whiz features. So far, so good but one day, perhaps sooner rather than later, Infinity or some other maker will catch up and BMW will start to lose it's core customers in the U S. The fact tht I have owned numenrous BMWs for well over 30 years doesn't mean that I am joined at the hip with NA. When a comparable car with a more attractive price and more sensible options (subjective comment), I will not hesitate to move to the dark side.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #27
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32
I for one would have liked to see a low-content version of the E90 made available (no sunroof, auto wipers, auto up/down windows, etc) for $3,000 less to give those of us who love the driving aspects of the car a chance to own one for under $30K. This is our 3rd car and I'd rather have the extra money available for the other cars. Actually, a 3 series with a good 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual and priced at $25K would be a fun car.
A stripped down sub $30K 3 series will never happen. According to Helmut Panke, chairman of BMW, the BMW brand in the US is perceived to be premium and they will not degrade that brand for any reason. This means they want to keep the premium brand in the US so they can continue to charge as much as humanly possible for the 3 series (and all models).

There will be a sub $30K BMW eventually in the US, but it won’t be a 3 series. Helmut has also been quoted as saying the 1 series is coming to the US once new body styles are released that fit the US market. The current 1 series European hatchback doesn’t fit into the US perception of BMW as a premium brand. We may see a 1 series as early as 2008 in a coupe or convertible form. BMW is being very careful to protect the brand in the US and not make the same mistakes Mercedes made with models such as the hatchback C230 kompressor.

Article mentioning 1 series: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107803
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #28
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325 Saphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
I went by the dealership today to check on the status of my order. Talked briefly with another salesperson who, when I informed him I had ordered a 330i, admonished me to wait. .
I take it this is the sales guy who didnt get commission on the car you were sold ? Sales ethics dontcha love em .
Appreciate 0