BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Seating Position

I am considering a 135i, I went to check them out today and I found the seating position to be a little...well wrong.

I feel like I am perched on top of the car rather then sitting in it. I am 6'2" and I have driven BMWs off and on (more on then off) since I got my license, and I have never had this feeling in a BMW. The car I sat in had the sport pack, and the seat was adjusted all the way down, but if need to go down about two more inches. Other then that I like the size of the car.

Do any of you guy feel like this? Has anyone found a solution?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I'm 6'8". And one of the reasons I bought it was seating position. I put the seat all the way down and then "rock" it back. It's the most comfortable car I have ever been in. I sat in it the first time jokingly just to see people laugh at me getting in the "small" bimmer. After I adjusted the seat I was like WOAH. Let's do a test drive. I bought the car 2 days later.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i am 6'2" as well, and i find that i put the seat back far enough so that i can comfortably push all the pedals to the floor, and the steering wheel is all the way up and out so that i can see the dials. i also find that i have to raise the seat height just a tad to see the dials [with manual seats] where it raises out of the back so that there is one fist between my head and the roof. finding a perfect position takes some time
      08-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

There are not many 1's at my local dealer, do the manual seats go any lower then the power seats (I am guessing no, but...)?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
There are not many 1's at my local dealer, do the manual seats go any lower then the power seats (I am guessing no, but...)?
hmmm, i am not sure.....
      08-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
manual seats Do go lower than powered ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
Schneller!
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi & 2010 X535i

...you could drop the car two inches
      08-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
The manual does go lower, But I got a loaner with power and I'm not convinced it's Significantly lower. I've spent now a year and two months trying to find a good spot on this car. It's a constant compromise between comfortable legs and an acceptable reach for the shifter. I'm Just not shaped right I guess. (And I won't even bother bitching about the no-option sunroof and the top of my head again.)

I'll find the sweet spot someday, then I'll tilt the seat forward to stick something in the back and it will be gone forever.

P.S. I was able to get comfortable in the loaner in like 2 min. Get Power seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I am 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam (and waist). I like the seating with my manual sports seats. I raised the seat from all down, partially because it allowed me to see the gauges better and partially because it felt I was too low. I have a little more than a hand over my head but probably not a fist, I should try it. I do not have the seat all the way back but I could. But I like to use a touch screen GPS and with the seat all the way back, it is along reach. I like my legs to be flexed a little when working the pedals too. And bringing the seat up a little allows at least a small person to sit behind me.

To get all the way down on a test drive, my son and I had to rock forward a bit in the manual seats.

Jim
      08-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

6'2" here as well.

I tilt the bottom of the back of the seat all the way down. Raise the front up most, if not all the way to create a sloping effect for thigh support. Adjust the side bolsters to fit. Extend thigh support as well for additional comfort. Adjust tilt and telescope wheel to see gauges and for comfort.

I find there is more headroom in the 1 than in my wife's 335 coupe. But, my seating style as described above has been the same in most cars (other than the Avalanche I had) for many years.
      08-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
6'2" here as well.

I tilt the bottom of the back of the seat all the way down. Raise the front up most, if not all the way to create a sloping effect for thigh support. Adjust the side bolsters to fit. Extend thigh support as well for additional comfort. Adjust tilt and telescope wheel to see gauges and for comfort.

I find there is more headroom in the 1 than in my wife's 335 coupe. But, my seating style as described above has been the same in most cars (other than the Avalanche I had) for many years.
We are the same size, and that is how I adjust my seat also, I'll try again.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135

I'm 5' 8 my issue is trying to compromise between not being plastered against the steering wheel and having a comfortable reach for the clutch.I regret not getting power seats for this one reason. I think it only took me 4 months to find the sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Maine1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235xi

I'm a six footer, and I like the seat all the way down and reclining back a little. The sport steering wheel does block the instrument view a little. I like to tilt it down as far as I can while allowing some view of the speed dial.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I am considering a 135i, I went to check them out today and I found the seating position to be a little...well wrong.

I feel like I am perched on top of the car rather then sitting in it. I am 6'2" and I have driven BMWs off and on (more on then off) since I got my license, and I have never had this feeling in a BMW. The car I sat in had the sport pack, and the seat was adjusted all the way down, but if need to go down about two more inches. Other then that I like the size of the car.

Do any of you guy feel like this? Has anyone found a solution?
I agree. The seat needs to sit down at least 1" more if not 2".

If you sit back farther, which makes it more comfortable, then the steering wheel doesn't come back as far as it should either.

Some ergo things on the 1 make me think they let a young, not so experienced ergonomics designer and/or engineer decide on the what goes on in the 1.

Try sitting back farther, and make sure you start with the side bolsters full wide, then adjust them in as much as you need.
If they are set too far in, you'll get a feeling on sitting "on" the seat rather than "in" the seat.

The other thing that can cause this feeling is the lumbar setting. Make sure it too is set fully deflated. Then adjust it once you're in the car.

The center armrest's low height and nonadjustability don't help either.
I use my CD case under the armrest to push it up, and now my arm/elbow naturally rest on it, and it's much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
i am 6'2" as well, and i find that i put the seat back far enough so that i can comfortably push all the pedals to the floor, and the steering wheel is all the way up and out so that i can see the dials. i also find that i have to raise the seat height just a tad to see the dials [with manual seats] where it raises out of the back so that there is one fist between my head and the roof. finding a perfect position takes some time
1 fist?!
What? Are you measuring the actual headliner, or the distance to the sunroof?
I wish I could get a tad more headroom, maybe about 1-1.5"

I'm 6' 1" and the best I can get is about 1" for headroom, and about 1.75" in the morning, when we're naturally taller.
Head room of course depends on how you set the seatback, and the length of your torso.
I have a tall torso, with a 30-31" inseam, so my torso is tall for a 6' 1" guy.
Also, I like to sit nearly upright, with the back of my head naturally resting on the headrest. I don't have to crank my head backwards to hit the headrest. So, I'm pretty upright. It helps my back feel right.

The clutch-stop I made has really helped me become more comfortable in my 135i as well. Given my shorter leg to torso ratio, with the clutch stop, I can put the seat at least 1.5" farther back, and it REALLY does make a difference.

Question to the manual trans drivers:
When your seat is set to your liking, when you push the clutch pedal all the way in, how much bend is there in your knee? Just guess, like; flat, slight bend, knee sticks out like a hill, 25 degree bend, 45 degree bend, etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
The manual does go lower, But I got a loaner with power and I'm not convinced it's Significantly lower. I've spent now a year and two months trying to find a good spot on this car. It's a constant compromise between comfortable legs and an acceptable reach for the shifter. I'm Just not shaped right I guess. (And I won't even bother bitching about the no-option sunroof and the top of my head again.)

I'll find the sweet spot someday, then I'll tilt the seat forward to stick something in the back and it will be gone forever.

P.S. I was able to get comfortable in the loaner in like 2 min. Get Power seats.
And, with power seats, you get memory too, so you can easily recall your perfect setting.

Do you feel you need to go farther back, but the clutch pedal travel is too far if you do go back?

If so, I made a clutch stop that helped me.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I also sit upright. I do not like seats tilted back. And tilted back is very unkind to anybody in the back seat. I have a slight bend in my leg when I am working the clutch. I can drive fine with the seat all the way back but it feels like a long reach to the radio and GPS. So I come in a few notches. Which also lets small people sit behind me without having to move the seat more forward than normal. I have enough headroom without having to tilt the seat back (but I can see how somebody 6' 8" might have to tilt).

Jim
      08-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
superpowers
Private
Rep
Drives: none

gee, all 1 drivers are hella tall.

I sat in a 1 series today and I had to push the seat up a bit. I was staring at the bonnet the entire time. I'm 5'9 by the way. I found the ergo VERY good, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Do you feel you need to go farther back, but the clutch pedal travel is too far if you do go back?

If so, I made a clutch stop that helped me.
No My problem is, with the seat back even a bit farther 5th gear becomes a serious reach. Right now I feel too close to the pedals and my left leg meets the steering wheel too often, and the wheel is tipped up too much for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #20
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I slide my manual seat all the way back when I get out.
I slide it up when I get in. (depends on shoes)
I keep it mid height and tilted all the way up in the front.
I am 6'2" and 210 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #21
touareg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I'm 5'9" and have the manual seats all the way down, though I still kind of feel that I'm sitting a bit high sometimes. I find the side bolsters to be in the way sometimes when I shift or when I want to use the iDrive controller, but I dont' want to slide the seat back anymore because then I'd be too far away from the clutch.
      08-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #22
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135

I'd like to know more about this clutch stop. I'd like to sit further back but can't do it because of the clutch.
Appreciate 0