BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

Hopefully looking at a 1m coupe soon, tell me everything

I joined this site many years ago when the 1 series coupe first came out, but circumstances and whatnot popped up and I went thru a number of various cars. But now it's time to get serious, and the 1m coupe is on the radar.
From researching, I've read numbers ranging from 100 being sold, to a little over 300. White, black and orange are the colours, and drive away pricing brand new was around the $110-115k fully loaded. With little options avail, the only real "wow" options being the heated seats and comfort access (which is the key in pocket gimmick, which I don't care for).

Besides that, the car came pretty well equipped. I've seen various cars for sale with alcantara steering wheels, what other "options" factory or otherwise were also available, that were a must
I'm not looking for a modified example, I've been there before and I'm past that now. This will be a car to keep me for a while, a modern day classic so to speak.

Carsales has about 9 examples, but I can't understand why they r selling for more than they cost new from the dealer.

Fill me in on what u know
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

They sell for so much used, because as far as I'm aware there is a fairly sized waiting list on production. My dealer sold our origional 5 allocated 1Ms(when they were first released) the same day they were available to order. So I guess it's just supply and demand haha.

You won't regret your 1M purchase, they are fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
Carsales has about 9 examples, but I can't understand why they r selling for more than they cost new from the dealer.
Just because they are asking doesn't mean they are selling.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

This is a forum, no one has any obligation to tell you anything without please .

1. The initial number was 100 allocations. The final number was 301 including the press car that was crashed but now the only 1M race car in the world run by Beric Lynton. List price ranged from 112-117 depending on state stamp duty, dealer and options. Some got a bargain closer to the end of production.

2. There were 9 options available in the Australian cars: a) debadge, b) comfort access, c) Sun protection glazing, d) skibag, e) seat heating f) high beam assist g) extended connectivity, h) 6 disc changing and i) metallic paint. The key in the pocket gimmic is very good - everyone I know had it continues to tick that box. Whilst the high beam assist in this generation is pretty useless.

3. Alcantara steering wheel is not a factory option, they are all listed above. The must option is the music connectivity, and to me comfort access.

4. You will find many 1M has been modified in some way because it is a keeper for everyone. High quality better than stock component is also available for the 1M. Some pieces that actually went into the MotoGP Safety car such as Akra exhuast, is actually available in the Europe dealer network and fully covered in warranty. Most common mods are the front grills and side gills into gloss black. You should still be able to find stock 1Ms, but they are getting rarer. However, IMO, no reason to keep it stock.

5. There were 300 cars available for the Australian market. The car was highly praised by various well respected car journals all around the world. It is the last analogue M car. Market determines the price of used cars, and if I am selling a car, of course I will last it higher than what I am prepare to sell it for. I know two change hands recently. AlpineE92M3 sold his for 92k.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

I like the path you're heading down Walb, I'm no 1M expert so anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but you have the colours right, and the options list on the Aussie cars is very short, they came highly specced in comparison to other parts of the world as I understand.

Stuff like Sat Nav, Big sound was all standard here, you could get the CA as you mentioned as well as the Heated seats, which I personally love. Mine also came with the factory solar tint for the rear half of the car and the audio interface. Not sure what other options there were if any, I just remember meaning to ask as I walked up to the dealer, then taking it for a drive the first time, and then just saying "just get one for me!"

And I tell ya it's a cracking car for a driver. The numbers started at 100 originally, then went to 200 when they allocated another 100 cars for us, but I have a feeling it may have gone beyond that with special orders, probably not by much though.

So it's a very exclusive club, you know this because the cars been out for a year now, and I still get people pointing and mouthing " hey it's a 1M".

The popularity of these cars grew from all of the great reviews as well as the limited production. Add to that the distinct possibility that there will never be another "badged" 1M again as they move to the 2 series, and you have a very special little car.

When I'd decided on one, I called some dealers around the country just to see what they had, and I kept getting, "I've had 8 calls today from people trying to get these, we can't get them anymore". Had one dealer tell me that a gentleman bought one, used it for 5K in three months, went bankrupt, sold it back to the dealer for a loss, and the dealer sold it for $5K above the original drive away price from the second hand lot the next day. So demand is high.

That'll give you an idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
the only 1M race car in the world
Not for long
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Not for long
True, but you guys are the first .
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

As Sparoz said, I sold the wife's 1M for $92k, but it had 24000ks on it and it was 18 months old (but it was mint aside from a couple of gutter rashes). The other reason we weren't upset selling it was that we bought another one to replace it

IMHO anything sub $100k is where they should be.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

Quote:
True, but you guys are the first .
And the second ... She will have a twin shortly.

Sparoz - if you are ever down our way(and interested) feel free to pop in for a look.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

OT - there is a black one on carsales in Qld for 99k, seems like there could be room to negotiate that price. So long as some bugger doesn't buy it and turn it into a race car before you get to it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

A friend sold his for $120K with 3.5k kms on the clock and some performance bits added.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Great car, cant go wrong in any sense. If you're going to rack on heaps of kilometers on the thing, then the whole collector appeal in terms of coming to re-sell it will not be there. You're going to pretty much have to keep it as a weekend-car-if-weather-permits to retain the super collector appeal.

If you are going to rack on heaps of k's and you're planning to modify it, i don't see any reason to not just go for a M135i, or a 135i Coupe. You can LSD, Front and rear swaybar, coil over, brake / wheels and JB4 it up for less than 10k.

If you're like me, a few cosmetic additions, wheels/tyres (no runflats) and a tune is more than enough for a daily drive

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

well, it will be my daily, and i have a weekender anyway.

if anything, i would look at some nice rims, something like hre or similar
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
And the second ... She will have a twin shortly.

Sparoz - if you are ever down our way(and interested) feel free to pop in for a look.
Definitely interested! I will PM you guys first on my next trip down and see if I can convince my wife to visit.

Quote:
well, it will be my daily, and i have a weekender anyway.

if anything, i would look at some nice rims, something like hre or similar
modulare - looks really nice. However, I always think form should follow function.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
A friend sold his for $120K with 3.5k kms on the clock and some performance bits added.
The one with akra and ets?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The one with akra and ets?
was it the white one with a ton of mods
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
was it the white one with a ton of mods
This one have quite a few mods - all tried and tasteful.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

Why not get an older 135i with the N54 engine? The difference in cost will get you pretty much the works in 135i mods.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask
Why not get an older 135i with the N54 engine? The difference in cost will get you pretty much the works in 135i mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Euro1Concept
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

We were looking at the 1M, but at this stage cant justify the price so will have to 'settle' for a 135i. A 1M is on the cards a few years down the line though, once they are a bit cheaper. But by then might be tempted by something newer - we were originally looking at an E46 M3, but after testing the 135i, for roughly the same price its the better proposition!
Appreciate 0