BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

Going to drive a 135i and STi this week

Finally going to take a 135 out for a spin. If the reviews are half correct, Im sure Ill be impressed. I am also going to take out a new subi STi. I wasnt seriously considering it until the dealer told me about 0- 3.9% financing and $100 over invoice. I guess the hachback design isnt going over too well. Also hearing about serious paint issues and a stop manufacter edict earlier in production on all 2.5 subies.

The BMW dealer told me that most dealers require $1000 down to order. Is this true? Also basically told me not to expect any haggle room or discounts.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

^ after owning a LGT and cousin owning one and being on an LGT board, I can say the paint isn't up to par. I got my LGT for 3k under dealer asking price and i got 500 over kbb for my jeep trade in. They were wanting to get the cars out.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins View Post
Finally going to take a 135 out for a spin. If the reviews are half correct, Im sure Ill be impressed. I am also going to take out a new subi STi. I wasnt seriously considering it until the dealer told me about 0- 3.9% financing and $100 over invoice. I guess the hachback design isnt going over too well. Also hearing about serious paint issues and a stop manufacter edict earlier in production on all 2.5 subies.

The BMW dealer told me that most dealers require $1000 down to order. Is this true? Also basically told me not to expect any haggle room or discounts.

Dude that new hatch back STI is fugly. In pictures the vehicle doesnt look to shabby, but in person seriously dude its a ugly ugly car i also considered this as an option also. I would rather have a VW GTI etc etc before i got that sti hatchback

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
RobLS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
Dude that new hatch back STI is fugly. In pictures the vehicle doesnt look to shabby, but in person seriously dude its a ugly ugly car i also considered this as an option also. I would rather have a VW GTI etc etc before i got that sti hatchback
Even though Americans tend to be against hatches, such as me, this is struck me as ugly. Pictures I thought made it worse than the real life. Hood scoop is definately better, but that doesn't justify the rest of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

LOL, I actually think it looks better in person. I dont mind the looks. What does bother me is its econo car roots. Cheap paint, cheap interior. You figure it has most of its DNA in common with a rental grade car. I have looked inside 3 different ones and all had interior pieces not connected to anything sitting on the floor. Plus people are complaining that the paint just peels off in sheets during high pressure car washes. There are countless people with pics of their dinged up $41k cars. For me to actually consider an STi we would have to get down to below invoice with some extra written gaurantees.

Honestly I am 99% 135i. But just have to check out the competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

dont forget to check insurance quotes.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
LOL, I actually think it looks better in person. I dont mind the looks. What does bother me is its econo car roots. Cheap paint, cheap interior. You figure it has most of its DNA in common with a rental grade car. I have looked inside 3 different ones and all had interior pieces not connected to anything sitting on the floor. Plus people are complaining that the paint just peels off in sheets during high pressure car washes. There are countless people with pics of their dinged up $41k cars. For me to actually consider an STi we would have to get down to below invoice with some extra written gaurantees.

Honestly I am 99% 135i. But just have to check out the competition.
If you looking for competition Check out the some Vw's, Audi's and Infinite G35 is not shabby.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
RobLS
Major
Rep

Bah, go 135i.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
If you looking for competition Check out the some Vw's, Audi's and Infinite G35 is not shabby.
Dont like VW, never have. Audi is VW with even higher and more frequent repair costs. I do like the new G37. The nearest Infiniti dealer is over an hour away, and I need speed. No competition between g37 and 135. Next choice is probably an E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaDog View Post
dont forget to check insurance quotes.
No kidding I was absolutly floored when I found out my insurance qoute on my 135i. Im paying $45 a month for a 300hp twin turbo beast. I payed more for My dodge r/t when it was brand new. People always forget to mention on BMW safty, thats why they are a little heavier than we all would like them to be.. If I was to get into an accident I rather be in a BMW.... STI/evo's crumple easily like you wouldnt believe.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dont like VW, never have. Audi is VW with even higher and more frequent repair costs. I do like the new G37. The nearest Infiniti dealer is over an hour away, and I need speed. No competition between g37 and 135. Next choice is probably an E46 M3.
M3 cant go wrong with that, what color?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I never had serious paint problems with any of my Subarus, although the door dings seem to take their toll. Paint peeling off in sheets? No.

The "econobox" or "rental car" label is also ignorant. Subaru reliability is sky high.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
I don't know if it's necessarily true, but I was told the exact same things from my BMW CA.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I was also considering the STi, but ended up going with the 135. Really, there was no question after driving the 135 as to which car I should get.

I wasn't fond of the hatch design, and with the paint issues, stop sale, and general change of direction of the 08 model, I just couldn't justify the Sti.

I also put down $1000 when I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
RobLS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I never had serious paint problems with any of my Subarus, although the door dings seem to take their toll. Paint peeling off in sheets? No.

The "econobox" or "rental car" label is also ignorant. Subaru reliability is sky high.
I can agree with the reliability. Its a solid car, can't speak for the one mentioned, but mine is. My car does attract door dings like a bitch for some reason though. It chipped once but not in sheets when being pressure washed. That paint quality is, however, far better with a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
DeathfromAbove
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
STI/evo's crumple easily like you wouldnt believe.

I'm sorry, that's just flat out wrong. Subaru builds extremely safe vehicles, most of the models have the top safety marks in their respective classes. I can't speak for the Mitsus though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
RobLS
Major
Rep

The subies have one of the best ratings actually. The evo on the other hand crumples like paper.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

I really like subies.. but all I had to do was sit in the STi to compare it to the 135. There is no comparison in terms of interior finish and feel. The STi may be more of a performance bargain and I love the utility of a hatch, but in terms of living with and enjoying, the 135 easily wins.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I really like subies.. but all I had to do was sit in the STi to compare it to the 135. There is no comparison in terms of interior finish and feel. The STi may be more of a performance bargain and I love the utility of a hatch, but in terms of living with and enjoying, the 135 easily wins.
I totally agree, some of the other Subies are quite nice inside, but WRX has always been pretty plasticy inside in my opinion. Again, no argument that they are reliable as, fast as hell, and (used to) look quite sexy on the road, but I love the inside of my BMW's, and that's were I am most of the time.
      06-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I really like the Subarus. I currently own a liberty GT (Legacy GT in the USA) and a Forester. Also owned a WRX. I have never had any reliability problems. Subarus have a reputation of being bullet proof and have also got the best safety ratings in their class. I have never had any problems with the paint.
I think that in Australia they are the best value for money cars around and also have one of the best resale values. The AWD is fantastic. In terms of performance there is not much competition for the price. The EVO is competition however in terms of quality I don't believe it has the same reputation.

When it came time to upgrade my Liberty GT, I considered the STI however, I don't like the hatchback. I also did not want to get another Liberty GT as the new one is no different from my current model. I purchased the 135i instead since at about $83,000 was only a bit dearer with even more perfomance than the STI and Liberty GT. The STI is about $65,000 and liberty GT is about $70000 in Australia.

I'm still keeping the Liberty GT for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #21
DeathfromAbove
Rep
Drives:

I loved the STis until they got up into the mid $30ks-high $30ks.

Why would I spend that much money for a hot rodded econobox when I could get an equally as fast German luxury car for the same price? I think Subaru really priced themselves out of the market with this new STi.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
avus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

quite a difference between the 2.
friend at work has the new STI, and we decided to swap cars for a quick around-the-parking-lot test drive.

she didn't want to give the key back! just as i had noticed, she remarked how her STI felt decidedly low rent compared to the 135 -- an econobox with a big engine.

i agreed. the level of refinement and composure of the 135 is markedly higher than the STI, and the interior is a nicer place to be in.
Appreciate 0