Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
Yeah, I thought about the heat here in Georgia, but I live on the coast (Tybee Island) and it won't be my DD, so I think it'll be ok. Everyone and their brother has a white car/truck around here, so I wanted something a bit different anyway.
As they say down here..."totally" get it. Too many white cars on the road. On the other hand when I was driving in Europe in my white car, people where all checking out my car at every gas statiion, on the autobahn, etc. Color didn't seem to matter. I guess there are a lot of white cars, but not a lot of white 1Ms.

!
While BMWs are everywhere, M cars are rare in Germany. They are incredibly expensive to own and also one must have a great driving record. I only saw an E 46 M3 and an an E60 M5 while in Europe, aside from cars at the Welt. With 40% or more of M cars going to the US, and strong sales in Asian markets, M cars are rather rare in their homeland.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #24
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
While BMWs are everywhere, M cars are rare in Germany. They are incredibly expensive to own and also one must have a great driving record. I only saw an E 46 M3 and an an E60 M5 while in Europe, aside from cars at the Welt. With 40% or more of M cars going to the US, and strong sales in Asian markets, M cars are rather rare in their homeland.
Strange, I didn't realize you actually had to meet a certain driving record to own one?

I just thought they were expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs View Post
Strange, I didn't realize you actually had to meet a certain driving record to own one?

As i understand it... you first can start off by licensing a motorbike. and then go up from there as your driving experience grows and one keeps a clean record.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #26
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I take it Chris that your 1M is coming in AW? ???
Yep mine will be AW

Up until today I've only seen VO and AW and chose AW as I personally preferred it. However after seeing the BSM today I was very impressed. It has a real menacing look to it
Chris - I'd love to see the AW if you get chance to drive half the M25 on one of your early runs. I've not seen any of the colors yet, and still have time to change. I'm fairly sure I will stick with AW though. Had a few black cars and fancy a change. VO too ladish for me I think - said as a 32yr old.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #27
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
While BMWs are everywhere, M cars are rare in Germany. They are incredibly expensive to own...

not to mention in austria where consumption and emission taxes push the german base price by about 20% and a monthly motor tax which is about ten times higher than in germany

as for the bsm: i first saw it on my own car there was only the vo on display at the welt and i saw one aw bmw-company car before

- i like the color - i never had a black car before because i always wanted details like air intakes and so on to be seen... but boy does this bsm look good - especially after applying some svizöl concorso

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #28
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmez View Post
Chris - I'd love to see the AW if you get chance to drive half the M25 on one of your early runs. I've not seen any of the colors yet, and still have time to change. I'm fairly sure I will stick with AW though. Had a few black cars and fancy a change. VO too ladish for me I think - said as a 32yr old.
Sure I'm happy to meet up when it comes (hoping next week!). I need to put 1200 miles on it, so any excuse Let's sort the details nearer the time

Also, I'm with you that VO was a bit ladish for me (and I'm 32 also ).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #29
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Sure I'm happy to meet up when it comes (hoping next week!). I need to put 1200 miles on it, so any excuse Let's sort the details nearer the time

Also, I'm with you that VO was a bit ladish for me (and I'm 32 also ).
It wasnt for me and I'm 51
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #30
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
It wasnt for me and I'm 51
I'd normally say you are never too old to be a LAD, but I was trying to get GF approval, claiming this car is more 'future proof' than the 350Z (back seats in case you are not hearing the same ticking of a body clock that rings in my ears). Anyway, I am tempted by this to make up for it! https://www.britishcarregistrations....%20LAD/summary

Now I have posted, I am sure someone with a VO will snap it up?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #31
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs View Post

Not to own, just insure

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #32
Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

I still haven't seen one on the road! Closest was the one I saw at Heathrow airport T5 car park about a month ago.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Apart from mine and AW and VO in showrooms not seen any on the road in the UK.

Though saw a BSM in the Paris traffic last week going back and forth over Seine near the Eiffel Tower.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #34
greygoose
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Germany is the country where I have seen the most attention to my car from other drivers and two lads were taking photos at the service station and then followed us for 5 miles on the autobahn in their 745 .
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #35
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I got the most attention in Germany and Italy. Austria was more low key but everywhere in Germany and Italy people would stare, rubberneck, do the double-look, give me a thumbs up. Some took pictures of me driving or even video. At gas stations or rest stops people would go up the car and walk around it. It was pretty weird for me. I have never owned a car that attracted so much attention. I'm driving the invisible green plymouth minivan now in Urban Camouflage and no one sees me.

I really think all three colors are beautiful and it was a tough choice. White ended up being the right choice for me as a daily driver in warm climate, carrying kids and not having as much time for wax etc. Also, white leaves room for decals or other things down the road. Orange is awesome but I see that shade everywhere and it seems too trendy now even though I love it. Black looks the best on this car, but as we have beaten this horse, too warm for me and can't give it the wax care it would deserve.

I wish I could have all three for my different moods! : )
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #36
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

I agree... all three colors look great... Racing white (great for stickers), Stlyish orange, and badass black.. Agree about the looks... In the past, I've received a fair amount of attention driving an E30 M3 (sometimes unwanted from 5-0!) ..... but it seemed like nearly everyone was checking out my car... The first night I drove it, I was driving along in Munich and a passerby turned nearly 180 degrees as I approached a stop sign. I made sure to rev the car and make a decent throaty launch, to which he responded with a big grin and thumbs up as I pulled off.. Of course, not two blocks away ... I pulled up to a stop and a POLIZEI van pulled along side... I was driving very slowly.. under the limit... and the van kept pacing me.... and I noticed that the poor fellow in back was drooling over my car!

Three stoplights later, I couldn't shake the van... and then I looked at the driver, and he had the same look as the passenger in the back! LOL The reason the PO-PO(LIZEI) van was pacing me was because the officer driving was just as enthralled! Had their not been a door on the van, the driver would have fallen out, he was leaning over so much to check out my car while he drove..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #37
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
i hear the lines drop on the BSM.....have yet to see one in person in NJ NY OR CT
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
i hear the lines drop on the BSM.....have yet to see one in person in NJ NY OR CT
One guy's "lines drop" is another guy's "line blend better!"

Lines are in the eye of the beholder.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

i don't know man...

i just got my BSM yesterday and i think the lines look SICK. they were definitely more pronounced on mine than the VO.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #40
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

more pronounced in yours than the VO?! Dude, the orange car is farther away and I can see the air curtains MUCH more pronounced than the ones on your car right in front of the camera.

I have a lot of respect for black as I have owned 2 gorgeous black cars in the past, but reality is that the color hides the details and unless there is a source of light directly pointing at whichever part of the car you are staring at, they just fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
i just got my BSM yesterday and i think the lines look SICK. they were definitely more pronounced on mine than the VO.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #41
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
^maybe he meant the outside lines - saw my first bsm driving by (other than mine) and the wheel arches and even the step where the sidemarkers are really stand out in sunlight - however the air intakes / air curtains sure are more visible on AW and VO - thats why i would have gotten the car in spacegrey

however, i cant stop saying how this is the best (handling) car i ever had the pleasure to own

even here, in the countryside between the mountains () people notice / recognize the car - never had so much attention - had people standing up cheering and screaming as i passed by - kind of funny

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #42
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Even the outside lines...there is a picture showing all 3 colors from behind and there is an upper trunk line that only VO (yes not even AW) shows.

Regardless, this car looks great in all three colors and we all have our own reasons for picking one over the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
^maybe he meant the outside lines - saw my first bsm driving by (other than mine) and the wheel arches and even the step where the sidemarkers are really stand out in sunlight - however the air intakes / air curtains sure are more visible on AW and VO - thats why i would have gotten the car in spacegrey

however, i cant stop saying how this is the best (handling) car i ever had the pleasure to own

even here, in the countryside between the mountains () people notice / recognize the car - never had so much attention - had people standing up cheering and screaming as i passed by - kind of funny
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #43
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
I agree they look great in all 3 colors and have their uniqueness. I've only seen an AW in person and the photos I took don't do it justice, at all. In person, it looks way better and the curves are more pronounced.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #44
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No longer awaiting the arrival of my 1M, now my sights are set on at least seeing one. 1M step at a time!
Appreciate 0