BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Evolve Race Rear Exhaust with N55 mids

Fellow members: remember my recent post in the other Evolve thread concerning installation of this set up? Here is a few photos before and after the dyno and installation of the exhaust, one of the posted photos is the actual dyno chart (before install so fully stock, Mustang dyno), this website does not let me post it otherwise, don't know why yet. About the dyno results and my first impressions please read my previous post in the other Evolve thread in this section. A sound video is coming soon (fingers crossed). Any questions, I will answer here or as PM.

Name:  DSCN1577.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1573.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  DSCN1581.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1583.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  179.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1579.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  DSCN1585.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1586.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  128.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

More Pictures:

Name:  DSCN1587.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1588.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  259.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1589.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  327.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1591.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  212.1 KB

Name:  DSCN1592.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1594.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  183.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Here is my recent post from the other Evolve thread:

"Long Post, WARNING!

So I just installed the Evolve Race with N55 midpipe today. First sample of this combo as far as I know. Also put the car on a dyno before the exhaust install in order to have a baseline and see what it makes stock. I can't post the pictures I took here and now plus dyno chart will be sent to me tomorrow or so by mail from the shop (very late here and shop closed later than normal just because of my car so...), in the meantime I plan to make a sound clip too and post everything packed together in a separate thread as soon as I have some time.

Here I got to say that it was great service and price from Evolve (thanks Imran) for such a fine product. I also found a gem of a workshop in Santiago and met some great people thanks to fellow Forum member ///Morgan.

In a nutshell, car performed as expected (butt dyno impressions) at the dyno, no more no less; it was a Mustang Dyno, and the operator told me that it really really reads low(er than people want to see) so I should not wait anything over 280 hp or so he commented, they had 2 1Ms there previously but for install jobs merely not on dyno, I told him that it will perform better and be closer to 300 than 280, my car has just 3100 or so kms., was a quite warm day (25 to 30 Celsius) but no humidity to speak of, acceptable but not ideal fuel quality (Shell 97 RON V-Power is best we have here, I assume it is somewhere between 91 to 93 US, or 95 to 98 Euro gas), M button pressed, DSC off, a total of three runs at 4th gear, all consistent, peak power was 294,2 hp and torque was 342 lb-ft at the wheels. If I follow what I keep on hearing and what the dyno operator suggested I should take it as minimum 350+ hp and 550+ nm of torque crank, confirming what I always thought, that the stock car is closer to 360 hp and 550-560 nm torque than the factory's official numbers. The real point is now I have my baseline and car will go for another dyno run there but only after I make around 500 km. with the new exhaust and I'll see if there is any change.

And exhaust: I know everyone rightfully will want a sound clip and photos and I will provide ASAP but I have to say it is exactly like I wanted it (and the stock car) to be: calm and understated when you keep it low and very rich and strong when you press it and there are lots of tones in between. It burbles all the time Drone was still present during my first drive back home but it is much less annoying (my car had a good deal of drone between 2000 to 2900 rpm) and at a narrower band than stock (like 1800 to 2300 and less in tone), much better to my ears. I can already say that throttle has a more natural feel (default setting, non M mode) and good response. Fit, finish all top notch and very light exhaust compared to stock (did not weigh it but I remember that Imran posted when they first announced it). Overall, very refined exhaust set up for half cost of some top priced ones and far from some one-dimensional products (I mean just making loud for sake of loudness), imo fits the 1M like a glove, an enhancement of the stock sound, polishing it wherever it really needs and preserving whatever was already good; only educated eyes and ears can (quickly) tell that there is something else down there. Together with my Michelin PSS set, the exhaust kind of complete the stock car's near perfect feel and give full satisfaction. Promise: next is a separate thread which will have essentially what you guys can see and hear."

Last edited by ozinaldo; 09-16-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Nice! ... So what was the post install dyno numbers?
I'll wait a few hundred kms. before having the "after" dyno and then post the results here.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Cold start, static video.

Link to youtube cold start-static video is below and please do not expect a masterpiece in terms of sound quality. I will try to make a better one later and definitely another which will show the car in movement, in different gears:

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
chimanlau
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Fantastic !!!. I hope it give you some gain on the Dyno.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

LONG POST: New Dyno; Better curve, a bit more hp and tq

I finally had the chance to go to dyno shop again to check what is the difference after installing Evolve Rear muffler and N55 mids sometime ago. I made close to 580 km. before doing this second dyno and the car is exactly same, nothing else changed since then. Did my best to secure close to identical conditions; same gas brand and type, same levels, same dyno shop and operator, same 4th gear runs ending around 6600 rpm, M button pressed, DSC off. I was not able to pick a day with exact same temperatures though but don't think the difference of max 5 degrees Celsius worth too much, was just a bit cooler today than the first dyno day.

Reminder: it is otherwise a stock car. Bone stock, peak power was 294.2 whp and peak torque was 339.9 lb.ft (note: car did better tq in another run with 342.9 lb.ft). Almost identical numbers with GIAC's Mustang dyno tested stock 1M, so reliable and believable.

It is a Mustang dyno reading seriously lower than some other dynoes. But it is well calibrated and consistent like its operator (great guy). Recently a 2012 stock E9X M3 dynoed there he told me, with 323 whp, before installing a supercharger and other stuff. I saw the chart and numbers which is confirming other Mustang dynoed M3s from US and other countries.

Today my 1M with stock down pipes, N55 mids and Evolve Race rear muffler dynoed 300.5 whp and 347.1 lb.ft. So, registered an increase of 6.3 whp and 7.2 lb.ft wtq.

I am going to post the new chart and a second chart with old and new together as soon as possible, when I receive them by mail. The real good news is there is constantly more hp and torque after around 2600 rpm till the end, and the higher the rpm the higher the difference from stock car. The hp simply doesn't fall at all after 6000 even 6500 rpm and torque is also smoother at the top, lots of power and tq up there (stock was not too bad too compared to other N54s). The stock car's peak hp came at 5095 rpm while today it was reached at 5454 rpm.

This exhaust set up is just perfect for someone who wants a calm and refined sound before around 4000 rpm and wants the car sound mean and loud after that. And after this dyno I happily noticed that my butt dyno impressions during this last 580 kms. were right and revs flow easier now and when the sound starts getting really different vs. stock exhaust, which is after 4000, the car indeed is pushing harder all the way to the top.

If I follow the same suggestions for calculating the crank hp and tq, stock car was 350+ hp and 550+ nm and with the exhaust it is now 360+ hp and 560+ nm. The operator thinks it can be even more than 370 hp but I am playing safe and conservative here. Literally, only 23 less whp and around 60 % more wtq than a V8 M3, that's what it is, nothing more nothing less.

Another thing that I now know is there is no way you can make 15 whp or more just with a midpipe or rear exhaust on a bone stock car, you make less, even midpipes and muffler together hardly gets close to those numbers at crank. But whatever you make you can make at all the right places. I am sure a car with full bolt on mods and a good tune will have double or more gains from this exhaust set up but for me it just delivered everything I was hoping for

Charts and a new sound clip during one dyno run will follow.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-09-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats Dear Oz!
I'm glad it all worked as you expected. Also, I'm happy to hear that the workshop was a good place for your requirements. A couple of weeks ago I went there and had some great conversations with them..
I'm looking forward to the "1M's and coffee" meeting we talked about for having some discussions regarding our cars/project.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Thanks for the great writeup!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Morgan View Post
Congrats Dear Oz!
I'm glad it all worked as you expected. Also, I'm happy to hear that the workshop was a good place for your requirements. A couple of weeks ago I went there and had some great conversations with them..
I'm looking forward to the "1M's and coffee" meeting we talked about for having some discussions regarding our cars/project.

Cheers!
Thanks Morgan. I will be visiting BausTech soon again probably more than once since BMW carbon trunk spoiler (matte CF and gloss VO stripe) and BMW M Performance steering wheel with VO dyed center leather on top instead of blue are on the way from IND, while I also wait since almost a month now (thank you USPS...for nothing!) a ER charge pipe, afe dry panel filter and CDV delete that I bought from HP Autowerks. Also can you believe that I still keep the side overlays in my trunk? I think I can change fuel filter, brake liquid and polen filter as well since the car was built almost a year and half ago.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

How do you think the sound will be mated to the maddad midpipes?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
How do you think the sound will be mated to the maddad midpipes?
That was a question I was asking to myself too; I like the way Maddad mids sound, they are so good and loud there is almost no need for an aftermarket muffler. However, I decided finally that this might be an issue when you mate it with a muffler because unless a magical chemistry develops either the new muffler or Maddad sound should compromise/cloud the other one, With the N55 I thought there should be less of this problem because a) I loved the way Evolve-Supersprint exhaust sounded and wanted to keep it as much as possible b) N55 mids are much less louder than Maddads but arguably the other affects (flow, dronelessness, response etc.) are comparable c) They are also close to half price of Maddads. So I thought N55 must be a safer bet for me to mate with Evolve or any other muffler because they wouldn't compromise the sound characteristic of the new muffler and just enhance it a bit with more burbles and a deeper tone. This is what exactly happened in my case.

If I would want the exhaust set louder from bottom to top I would go with Maddad but I would never know if the final result would be very good or not, probably would be good since they both sound great. In some cases like Maddad plus Akra, Maddad plus Borla I think they combine more naturally and the results are great. It is really what you want from your new set up, you want louder all around go with Maddad, you want a calmer sound till 4000 rpm and want to guarantee that rear muffler sound will not be altered too much then go with N55.

The irony with Maddads is they are "too" good and too distinct so the question is why they should be mated with any muffler but then they alone are not "that good"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Numbers

Mustang-1.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

New Dyno Chart

Mustang-2.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

New vs. Stock Dyno Chart

Mustang-3.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Ramparus
Rep
Drives: 120d pre-LCI

Whoa, really nice sound, and the gains are considerable, specially if you haven't done any kind of remapping to the ecu.

En todo caso, y ahora en español, que auto más lindo. Simplemente espectacular. Por lo que leía en otros de tus threads, estuviste por cambiar el 1M por un ferrari, buena decisión la de quedarte con el bavaro, especialmente si consideramos los costos de mantención acá en Chile. En verdad felicitaciones!.

Ahora, si puedo preguntar, ¿A que taller lo llevaste?, y la pregunta te la extiendo también a ti Morgan, ya qué al parecer ambos conocen el lugar.

Saludos, y un gusto encontrar a más chilenos fanaticos de bmw!...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramparus View Post
Whoa, really nice sound, and the gains are considerable, specially if you haven't done any kind of remapping to the ecu.

En todo caso, y ahora en español, que auto más lindo. Simplemente espectacular. Por lo que leía en otros de tus threads, estuviste por cambiar el 1M por un ferrari, buena decisión la de quedarte con el bavaro, especialmente si consideramos los costos de mantención acá en Chile. En verdad felicitaciones!.

Ahora, si puedo preguntar, ¿A que taller lo llevaste?, y la pregunta te la extiendo también a ti Morgan, ya qué al parecer ambos conocen el lugar.

Saludos, y un gusto encontrar a más chilenos fanaticos de bmw!...
and thanks.

I take it to Baustech only, no WBM por nada! Or I do stuff myself if I can.

I am not a Chilean so I keep on replying you in English, sorry for that. You can PM me, if you wish in Spanish also, in case you have more questions.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 08-24-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
sick thread. like your setup sounds good too enjoy!
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Ramparus
Rep
Drives: 120d pre-LCI

Baustech, first time i heard of them. I take my Bimmers to NEM BMW, i really recommend them. I know one of the partners and is a very honest guy. They also look cars of WBM, when the problem is too difficult for them. Needless to say that all of the "cacho" cars of carmona, molina, munchen garages also end in NEM.

I notice you weren't chilean, CD plate... cuerpo diplomatico.

I'll send you a PM later, i am little busy right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramparus

En todo caso, y ahora en espaol, que auto ms lindo. Simplemente espectacular. Por lo que lea en otros de tus threads, estuviste por cambiar el 1M por un ferrari, buena decisin la de quedarte con el bavaro, especialmente si consideramos los costos de mantencin ac en Chile. En verdad felicitaciones!.

Ahora, si puedo preguntar, A que taller lo llevaste?, y la pregunta te la extiendo tambin a ti Morgan, ya qu al parecer ambos conocen el lugar.

Saludos, y un gusto encontrar a ms chilenos fanaticos de bmw!...
No offense but this is an English language forum. Keep other languages to PMs.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #21
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

wow, this has to be a joke. if not you have some serious issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
No offense but this is an English language forum. Keep other languages to PMs.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

If we compare Evolve exhaust with stock mids vs Evolve exhaust with n55 mids, the variance with n55 mids louder?
I got the SS sport whitch it the same like Evolve, and don't want to have it louder, but interesting in n55 mids power gain
Appreciate 0