BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Wheel shaving?

Don't want to diss any vendors but there is currently one (commercial vendor forum) offering to take 3mm off the bolt surface of a wheel for better fitment for the 1series. I have never heard of such a thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Interested in a response (possibly from tire rack) too. The wheels are cast or forged for certain tolerances. I would think that "shaving" could easily compromise structural integrity.

Unless the manufacturer blessed the "shaving", it sounds really dangerous to me.... but what do I know? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Interested in a response (possibly from tire rack) too. The wheels are cast or forged for certain tolerances. I would think that "shaving" could easily compromise structural integrity.

Unless the manufacturer blessed the "shaving", it sounds really dangerous to me.... but what do I know? :iono:
Larry,

You could not be more correct. That material is there for a reason and should not be removed.

Gill

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Also find it hard to believe that 3mm could make any difference. Their wheels are 1" wider than stock with 3-series offsets.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Misterkris
Private
Rep
Drives: R32

so why not shave the hub?

But also i would assume a forged wheel, especially the "forged stye" wheels that are now popular that are just machined blanks could tolerate a couple mm's. but youd have to have confidence, and i dont know how you could mount it on a lathe.
Or now that i thik of it it would be somthing mounting a wheel on a lathe wouldnt it. Id probably have a friend whos a cnc guru do it, but i dont know how else you would.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Talk to your manufacturer and see what they recommend. Don't take what I'm saying as a end all to the question. I'm sure most will recommend against it.

I've had the backpads on a wheel shaved before. The manufactuer told us that 3mm was the safest limit that we could shave without sacrificing structural integrity. It was for this one particular wheel, so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

ulrichd, shaving your wheel is possible, and it does happen. We have shaved wheels before, but it is definitely a process that you'd have to consider before you take the plunge for it. Once you do it, it cannot be reversed.

The amount of the hub that can be shaved depends on where the wheel is manufactured and who manufactures it. Either way, it's typically minimal on how much you can shave. There is a certain amount of the hub you can shave before the structural integrity is compromised, but wheels, like our Miro wheels for example, can be shaved 3-4mm at most until the structural integrity is compromised. We do not recommend it, but if a customer asks for it to fit, we do offer this option.

You should definitely do research on the wheel, talk to the retailer/manufacturer, and look into cast/forged wheels before you do shave the hub.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKris View Post
so why not shave the hub?

But also i would assume a forged wheel, especially the "forged stye" wheels that are now popular that are just machined blanks could tolerate a couple mm's. but youd have to have confidence, and i dont know how you could mount it on a lathe.
Or now that i thik of it it would be somthing mounting a wheel on a lathe wouldnt it. Id probably have a friend whos a cnc guru do it, but i dont know how else you would.
I believe they go on a blanchard grinder.

The custom cut wheel faces you are talking about do come out as a rough casting that can accomodate almost any offset. The problem is when they drill the wheel, they counter sink the face side for the lugs. This is where the real offset is "set" and where the danger comes in when shaving the backpad of the wheel.

When you shave the backpad of the wheels you are making the "meat" of the wheel thinner where the lug holds the wheel to the hub.

But in all honesty, I don't reccommend that you guys attempt to get this done unless you get it straight from the manufacturer. Your machine shop isn't going to question the amount shaved or even have second thoughts about the integrity of the wheel. They are just doing what you tell them to do.

5Zigen did some custom offset wheels for us once on this demo car we had a few years back. But remember that this was all handled by the actual wheel company, not a 3rd party.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I know the Linea Corse Wheels i have on can be shaved 3mms without comprising the structural integrity of the wheel.
Appreciate 0