BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

VRSF Intercooler Install

So the Intercooler came today. (Yay) I'd appreciate a little help.

Looking at the parts which came with it, it looks like 1 goes on the passenger side from the turbo pipe down to the IC. Large side on IC with clamp 6/7 and small side to turbo pipe using clamp 4/5.

On the driver side, 2 goes from the charge pipe down to 3 which connects to the IC.

Maybe it will be more obvious when I get under the car but I always like to ask the experts.

Thanks and regards,

Jim
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftmeister View Post
So the Intercooler came today. (Yay) I'd appreciate a little help.

Looking at the parts which came with it, it looks like 1 goes on the passenger side from the turbo pipe down to the IC. Large side on IC with clamp 6/7 and small side to turbo pipe using clamp 4/5.

On the driver side, 2 goes from the charge pipe down to 3 which connects to the IC.

Maybe it will be more obvious when I get under the car but I always like to ask the experts.

Thanks and regards,

Jim
You're absolutely correct sir
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Take off your bumper cover. It made it a lot easier, especially when cutting plastic. I was a bit iffy tightening the clamp on the turbo outlet pipe and ended up with a boost leak, so be sure they're all good to go the first time. I also did a drive after without the belly pan to check again just in case. I don't recommend getting too high of a speed, say mid-3rd gear, with the next section hanging open... you may end up needing a new one.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Usaf View Post
Take off your bumper cover. It made it a lot easier, especially when cutting plastic. I was a bit iffy tightening the clamp on the turbo outlet pipe and ended up with a boost leak, so be sure they're all good to go the first time. I also did a drive after without the belly pan to check again just in case. I don't recommend getting too high of a speed, say mid-3rd gear, with the next section hanging open... you may end up needing a new one.
Ha! You're psychic. I didn't remove it and tore up that second cover. Tore the felt-like substance on the sides too. So I'll be back under the car eventually. After putting the front one on it is holding on well.

My son and I got it in without removal, but if I had to do it over I agree regarding cutting. I'll show you the small burns on my hands from dremeling hot plastic. Ouch.

My boost leak was where the charge pipe mated to the new metal pipe. I'm just going to replace the hose provided by the ER Chargepipe.

Thanks!

Last edited by Luftmeister; 06-04-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

The hot plastic goes everywhere I was pissed lol
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
The hot plastic goes everywhere I was pissed lol
Right? I had a couple of big chunks land on my neck. I thought I had been stung.
Appreciate 0