BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

1M vs M3 divide...is it real?

I am a hard-core car guy, drive a stripper 1M and welcomed it with open arms because I thought ///M cars had gotten bloated, but despite my preference, I test drove the 135i when it came out and at the time I said, I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. It wasn't aggressive enough for me.

Then I set my sights on a no option E90 M3. While I found it a little big and not as attractive as the E46, I was about to pull the trigger on one when the 1M was announced.

Game over, I wanted the 1M but I still have a lot of admiration and respect for the M3. If my 1M got hit by a meteorite and I couldn't another one, it would be on my top 3 list.

I have seen M3 guys make all sorts of derogatory remarks online about the 1M but that is online. Yesterday at Cars and Coffee Irvine, I saw an Orange 1M with plates that were something like 1 YCMB. I wanted to know what the plate meant and there was a guy with an ///M shirt talking next to it for a long time with two guys. I thought he was the owner so I asked him if that was his car. He looked at me, shook his said and flat out said, "you couldn't pay me enough to drive that thing."

WTH.....I then realized his M shirt had an M3 and just said OH, you must be an M3 guy. I left pretty surprised that an ///M guy would make such a strong statement.

I don't want to bash M3 guys because I have had many cool encounters with fellow M3 owners. More are positive than negative, I just can't understand what would cause such a strong reaction against the 1M from a fellow M owner?

Please, mature replies only, I am truly looking for understanding as to what could cause this guy to say something like that in front of so several people???
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

I've never experienced any hatred. I just recently spoke with an e90 m3 owner at a red light and he said he was looking to get into a 1M too. In your case, he may have been talking about the color. Who knows. There will always be opposing sides and everyone has a right to their own opinions

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

BMW owners have a reputation to be snobs and he seems to be one of them. I think people bash things they don't really understand. I bet if someone he looks up to liked the 1M he'd start to change his opinion. Don't worry about it.
      03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Because some M3 owner hates 1M's who cares? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I know 911 guys who hate Caymans, Chevy guys hate Fords etc., etc....

Buy and drive the car that you want and be happy with it. There are many true enthusiasts out there that appreciate all makes and models and there are closed minded people who must insist that their choice in everything is the best and only choice. Take the high road ...... and be on the lookout for meteorites...
      03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
plain and simple...he has an inferiority complex...most reviews so far on the 1M have concluded that it delivers tons more driving fun than the M3 at a much lower price tag...granted its not a high revving V8 but it can certainly hold its own against an M3 (not get blown away) and its track performance speaks for itself....so this scarred M3 driver has a lot of internal psychological issues to sort out thats all.....for the most part I have received positive attention from M3 and other M drivers
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Theres always shit being flung everywhere and not just among M owners

Honestly its because you have a few groups of people that circle jerk all day long about how their car is the greatest car in the world (both 1M and M3 owners are guilty of this - as are 302 Stang owners, as are GT-R owners).

Two groups that think their car is the best car ever made and they both talk to each other with that knowledge in hand...you do the math on that when when it comes to altercations

This divide also exists between 1M and 135 owners, and trust me when I say that it isnt because we have an "inferiority complex" (a term that 1M owners love to throw around when a negative opinion gets thrown their way). Its because most owners of M cars have it for the badge and to feel better about their purchase and they justify the cash spent by putting down everyone else that bought the cheaper model and are just as happy.

:edit: Look at the comment right above mine for a perfect example of what im saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
plain and simple...he has an inferiority complex...most reviews so far on the 1M have concluded that it delivers tons more driving fun than the M3 at a much lower price tag...granted its not a high revving V8 but it can certainly hold its own against an M3 (not get blown away) and its track performance speaks for itself....so this scarred M3 driver has a lot of internal psychological issues to sort out thats all.....for the most part I have received positive attention from M3 and other M drivers

Last edited by BrokenVert; 03-04-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
crazy talk nachob....how was C&C otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I so had my eye on a 2012 M3. Was in the blue I wanted (LeMans) and had the options I wanted. It will be the last of the V8s and the last of the old body style (which I LOVE). My issue was torque - my drive to/from work is 0-30-0 and I was really worried the lack of torque would get to me. I noticed this first hand when I went from a 550 to a M5 and really missed the low end grunt of the 550 in my commute.

When the chance to get a 1M came about I had to do it. It is rare like the M3 (more so, but you get my point) but it had the torque. Both will/would be fun at the track.

However, as you said, if something happened to my 1M, I would be probably be in the M3 in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
I am a hard-core car guy, drive a stripper 1M and welcomed it with open arms because I thought ///M cars had gotten bloated, but despite my preference, I test drove the 135i when it came out and at the time I said, I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. It wasn't aggressive enough for me.

Then I set my sights on a no option E90 M3. While I found it a little big and not as attractive as the E46, I was about to pull the trigger on one when the 1M was announced.

Game over, I wanted the 1M but I still have a lot of admiration and respect for the M3. If my 1M got hit by a meteorite and I couldn't another one, it would be on my top 3 list.

I have seen M3 guys make all sorts of derogatory remarks online about the 1M but that is online. Yesterday at Cars and Coffee Irvine, I saw an Orange 1M with plates that were something like 1 YCMB. I wanted to know what the plate meant and there was a guy with an ///M shirt talking next to it for a long time with two guys. I thought he was the owner so I asked him if that was his car. He looked at me, shook his said and flat out said, "you couldn't pay me enough to drive that thing."

WTH.....I then realized his M shirt had an M3 and just said OH, you must be an M3 guy. I left pretty surprised that an ///M guy would make such a strong statement.

I don't want to bash M3 guys because I have had many cool encounters with fellow M3 owners. More are positive than negative, I just can't understand what would cause such a strong reaction against the 1M from a fellow M owner?

Please, mature replies only, I am truly looking for understanding as to what could cause this guy to say something like that in front of so several people???
I know you asked for only mature, well-informed responses but I'm afraid that fanboy douchebags like the one you mentioned should not be dignified with much more than a passing dismissal.

As you know well, there are plenty of current and former M3 on these 1M boards who aren't acting like butthurt 14-year olds.

Forget the D-bags. Enjoy the car.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Theres always shit being flung everywhere and not just among M owners

Honestly its because you have a few groups of people that circle jerk all day long about how their car is the greatest car in the world (both 1M and M3 owners are guilty of this - as are 302 Stang owners, as are GT-R owners).

Two groups that think their car is the best car ever made and they both talk to each other with that knowledge in hand...you do the math on that when when it comes to altercations

:edit: Look at the comment right above mine for a perfect example of what im saying
Maybe you misunderstood my comment so let me clarify....I am not in some wonderland about my 1M being the "best car ever made"...I am simply stating the FACTS about the tons of car reviews that compare the 1M to the M3. That is something you can't argue with. Granted if I was making some heinous claims about how the 1M is better than the M3 in every way imaginable, your comparison would have some merit, however that simply isn't the case. I respect the M3 for what it is and I love my 1M for what it is...I was only trying to shed some light onto what might have caused that M3 owner to react that way
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood my comment so let me clarify....I am not in some wonderland about my 1M being the "best car ever made"...I am simply stating the FACTS about the tons of car reviews that compare the 1M to the M3. That is something you can't argue with. Granted if I was making some heinous claims about how the 1M is better than the M3 is all kinds of ways, your comparison would have some merit, however that simply isn't the case. I respect the M3 for what it is and I love my 1M for what it is...I was only trying to shed some light onto what might have caused that M3 owner to react that way
no I think I understood you perfectly. In order for you to think that M3 owners have an inferiority complex you in turn must have a superiority complex.

Calm down the ego, its a car. Different cars appeal to different people. Its why I drive a vert and you dont.

And you found a car that appeals to you greatly. M3 owners found a car that appeals to them greatly. Get over that fact and stop saying that they have an inferiority complex simply because they like their car.

Love your car all day long (I do) but dont try to tell other people that your is better than their based on highly selective criteria. Thats when you become the douchebag. (you in a general sense, not necessarily you as a person)

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no I think I understood you perfectly. In order for you to think that M3 owners have an inferiority complex you in turn must have a superiority complex.

Calm down the ego, its a car. Different cars appeal to different people. Its why I drive a vert and you dont.

And you found a car that appeals to you greatly. M3 owners found a car that appeals to them greatly. Get over that fact and stop saying that they have an inferiority complex simply because they like their car.

Love your car all day long (I do) but dont try to tell other people that your is better than their based on highly selective criteria. Thats when you become the douchebag. (you in a general sense, not necessarily you as a person)

Woah buddy you are jumping to all kinds of conclusions here with faulty logic...Because I said he has an inferiority complex in no way translates into me having a superiority complex..LMAO...I'll let this convo rest here bc you already have engrained in your mind your opinion (which you are entitled to) but is not worth arguing over so peace! (apparently my comment makes me a douchebag...WOW lmao!)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Woah buddy you are jumping to all kinds of conclusions here with faulty logic...Because I said he has an inferiority complex in no way translates into me having a superiority complex..LMAO...I'll let this convo rest here bc you already have engrained in your mind your opinion (which you are entitled to) but is not worth arguing over so peace! (apparently my comment makes me a douchebag...WOW lmao!)
I agree with you, you brought up the inferiority complex but did it in a non-dick kind of way lol. I do agree that there are some owners that do bring up the inferiority complex thing to talk down to others, but you definitely didn't do that here. Unfortunately you are being grouped with them in this case.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
now whose jumping to conclusions? I never called you a douchebag.

Do you think your car is better than theirs based on nothing? And dont say reviews because they loved the M3 as well.

Fact is theyre two cars based on two different logics for two different purposes. See 1M beats an M3 at Hockenheim but not at Nuremberg. Fighting over it is worthless and it just makes you a dbag as far as im concerned.

Again you in a general sense, not you as a person. <- im leaving this as a separate thought because you clearly missed it last time.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
I agree with you, you brought up the inferiority complex but did it in a non-dick kind of way lol. I do agree that there are some owners that do bring up the inferiority complex thing to talk down to others, but you definitely didn't do that here. Unfortunately you are being grouped with them in this case.
Thank you Sauce, that is my point exactly!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Do you think your car is better than theirs based on nothing? And dont say reviews because they loved the M3 as well.

Fact is theyre two cars based on two different logics for two different purposes. See 1M beats an M3 at Hockenheim but not at Nuremberg. Fighting over it is worthless and it just makes you a dbag as far as im concerned.

Again you in a general sense, not you as a person. <- im leaving this as a separate thought because you clearly missed it last time.
Show me where I ever stated that the 1M is better than the M3...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

1M is the new kid in town.

Like radio frequencies: all on the same band, all playing music, but different. Nothing wrong with liking more than one channel.
      03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Show me where I ever stated that the 1M is better than the M3...
Quote:
plain and simple...he has an inferiority complex...
Clearly if you think that the M3 owner in question has an inferiority complex than you think that the 1M is better than the M3.

If it wasnt than he wouldnt have said inferiority complex.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Jealousy comes in many forms/colors. Many M3 owners have this reaction towards the 1M, and they must have their own reasons for it. Personally, one of my best friends drives an e92 M3 and he actually likes my car, there's really no stupid/childish rivalry between us. I've actually gotten many thumbs up from M3 drivers on the road, Cars & Coffee, etc, including all generation M3 drivers.

Sometimes people are reluctant to accept something new, better, or more purposeful...and of course, all this is very subjective.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Not sure whats up with BrokenVert but I think he's the most anti-social person in real life.

Anyway - to the OP - he was wearing a //M shirt - that should say everything. So little confidence in himself as a person he has to define who is by what he drives. Pretty sure most M3 drives aren't like that but you'll find some. Yes what we drive will say something about us but it shouldn't be the major definition of who we are.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:

Dude, your going way overboard. Your generating a huge argument and calling someone a dbag with no solid premise. Your reading into what he said and putting words in his mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Ahhhh not this sh*t again...
Appreciate 0