BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm not a big fan of that blue, but im loving the camou proportions also. I agree with Jason^^ The cleaning up of that bubbling effect of the tape over the rear quarter should be quite nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #24
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

I like everything but the headlamps. I hate that headlamps. But I like everything else a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #25
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
I like everything but the headlamps. I hate that headlamps. But I like everything else a lot.
I felt the same, but they are starting to grow on me alot.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #26
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

[QUOTE=Advevo;2295]these are my pics which i shot with my mobile this weekend

One sec...Advevo, you shot these on your cell-cam? Can you tell a little more?

These are awesome pics. I believe this is the same coupe we saw posted as it sped around a track.
The car has that special stance that the best BMW's have...the way it sits, the slightly lower front.
For a relatively small car it has so much presence and authority.
I'm really knocked out by it.

And I'm with Freak...I'm finally 100% sold on the car.
Black/red interior/and the 3.0 will do me just fine
:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #27
Brookside
Major
Rep

I've got a friend who works for MBUSA- he says absolutely what the tape
on the trunk is disguising is an integrated spoiler ala the ducktail on the Z4 trunk.
We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #28
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Brookside - I believe your friend based on this spypic we've seen before.

It looks like the spoiler might be integrated on the trunk sorta like a CSL trunk design just not as dramatic.

I love it.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #29
Brookside
Major
Rep

I never noticed that...as many times as I've looked at it...:redface: duh!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #30
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Brookeside what can i say.

I am already a big fan of the 1 series. Especially the handling and agility. When i drove by in my 130i i saw the 1 coupe inmediatly. First thing i thought what a car. This car has the good size. I don t like big and heavy cars. This car will also be perfect for building a race car with a proper engine in it. This the best thing bmw could do with the einser. Just build us a nice M1 for sensible money and it will be a hotseller.

The front lights would be better if they look more like 3er coupe. But i am used to it already.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #31
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Brookeside what can i say.

I am already a big fan of the 1 series. Especially the handling and agility. When i drove by in my 130i i saw the 1 coupe inmediatly. First thing i thought what a car. This car has the good size. I don t like big and heavy cars. This car will also be perfect for building a race car with a proper engine in it. This the best thing bmw could do with the einser. Just build us a nice M1 for sensible money and it will be a hotseller.

The front lights would be better if they look more like 3er coupe. But i am used to it already.
Thanks Advevo...somehow your camera really captured the personality of the car in a way that few other photographs have.
So you guys are calling it the "einser"? Cool!
Are you going to go to Frankfurt for the debut?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #32
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

For a relatively small car it has so much presence and authority.
I'm really knocked out by it.

And I'm with Freak...I'm finally 100% sold on the car.
Black/red interior/and the 3.0 will do me just fine
:biggrin:
Couldn't agree more. This car is going to be more about quality than quantity; it'll be about balance and proportion. Being new, it will be unbloated and true to it's original vision.

It will be the kind of car that makes you want to get up early in the morning and take the long road to the office... sunroof open... radio off... lean it into every corner, laying into the throttle as you clip the 90 degree apex... trail brake into the next, slightly faster corner and find the mid-range power as you accelerate onto the straight... and then look forward to the ride home... Nice...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #33
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
It will be the kind of car that makes you want to get up early in the morning and take the long road to the office... sunroof open... radio off... lean it into every corner, laying into the throttle as you clip the 90 degree apex... trail brake into the next, slightly faster corner and find the mid-range power as you accelerate onto the straight... and then look forward to the ride home... Nice...
:roundel: :roundel: :roundel:

We are buying our Z4 coming off-lease in June. & then I wait till the "einser" is available in N/A.
At least that's the current plan. Advevo's photos convinced me this is something worth waiting for.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #34
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I don t know if i have the time going to frankfurt. I race for a bmw dealer so i proberly see the car before official introduction anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #35
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

The devil is in the details

This car really should have been introduced two years ago. Back in the spring of 2005 there was already a small buzz about the announced two-door version of the 1-series, and I was even wondering if BMW was going to introduce it at the Frankfurt auto show that year, where it would have taken away some of the attention being focused on the introduction of the spectacular Porsche Cayman S, the latest generation Mercedes S-Class, and the Audi Q7 SUV. Instead, all BMW had to offer in terms of novelty at that show was the concept version of the Z4 coupé, the subsequent implementation of which certainly hasn't been selling briskly.

In light of the long delay -- perhaps to get all the details just right for a change (which definitely wasn't the case with the butt-ugly rear trunk of the 7 series or the tacky Dame Edna headlights of the 5 series or the sagging donkey look of the initial 5-door 1-series) and also allow the prior introduction of the now already oversized and overweight two-door 3-series coupés and cabrios to create a huge market gap, to then be filled with the type of vehicle that catapulted BMW to prominence in the first place -- expectations are extremely high among car enthusiasts. In light of all the pre-release teaser marketing hype surrounding this car, anything short of a true breakthrough sensation might be regarded as somewhat of a disapointment. And that includes setting the price too high.

The sports version of the new coupé should at least feature 18" wheels, standard bi-xenon lights, lightweight Recaro-style one-piece shell seats, chrome exhaust tips, and a high quality interior more like what one gets with Audi and Porsche vehicles. There ought to also be a sport button, for a stiff suspension and lower stance. If wood paneling is even an option, it should at least be blonde, not the heavy brown wood one gets with executive sedans. Also, the front hood and some chassis parts should use aluminum to keep the overall weight under 1300 kg. With the normally aspirated 3 liter engine, the car should not take more than 500 seconds around the north loop of the Nürburgring when driven by BMW's test drivers. A live video of this kind of performance, available for download on the Internet, is what I'd like to see to convince me to stop thinking about a used Cayman S at roughly the same price point.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #36
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
This car really should have been introduced two years ago.
In light of all the pre-release teaser marketing hype surrounding this car, anything short of a true breakthrough sensation might be regarded as somewhat of a disapointment. And that includes setting the price too high.
I think you nailed some of my questions I have for the car.
From everything we've seen tho, BMW will have a hit on their hands that pleases a wide swath of the public...from insiders,
to performance people, to the recent MBA grad who wants to reward themselves with something cool and worthy.

Instead of worrying about the car's sales success, I think BMW will be scrambling to fill production orders.
And, I look for all sorts of variations after introduction: hybrids, AWD-sport coupes and the usual special editions, and long lists of (pricey) options.
No doubt aftermarket firms are also going to make heaps from the 1-er.

If you trace the history of the car, it started out as a cabriolet...the CS-1 concept..
morphed into a very convincing production hatch and now is being introduced as a coupe/cabrio...almost coming full-circle.
What I hope is that the second gen coupe distinguishes itself from the hatch , shares fewer body panels and stretches BMW's design dna.

But right now, there really isn't any competition. I know a dealer who is salivating at getting his hands on the 1-er coupe and cab because
he sees the potential for a product that reflects lifestyle and can become as ubiquitous in some circles as i-Pods and Starbucks double-lattes.
This is a marketing department wet-dream if handled with integrity and intelligence.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #37
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I think you nailed some of my questions I have for the car.
From everything we've seen tho, BMW will have a hit on their hands that pleases a wide swath of the public...from insiders,
to performance people, to the recent MBA grad who wants to reward themselves with something cool and worthy.

Instead of worrying about the car's sales success, I think BMW will be scrambling to fill production orders.
And, I look for all sorts of variations after introduction: hybrids, AWD-sport coupes and the usual special editions, and long lists of (pricey) options.
No doubt aftermarket firms are also going to make heaps from the 1-er.

If you trace the history of the car, it started out as a cabriolet...the CS-1 concept..
morphed into a very convincing production hatch and now is being introduced as a coupe/cabrio...almost coming full-circle.
What I hope is that the second gen coupe distinguishes itself from the hatch , shares fewer body panels and stretches BMW's design dna.

But right now, there really isn't any competition. I know a dealer who is salivating at getting his hands on the 1-er coupe and cab because
he sees the potential for a product that reflects lifestyle and can become as ubiquitous in some circles as i-Pods and Starbucks double-lattes.
This is a marketing department wet-dream if handled with integrity and intelligence.

A car with no direct competitors is something special.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #38
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
A car with no direct competitors is something special.
And it's a BMW!:biggrin:
The 1-er, rwd coupe, as far as I know, stands alone in it's class in the premium tier.

The real crime is what Audi/NA has done to the A3 by limiting consumer choices with one bodystyle and mating it's hi-tech 4cyl engine with crappy
fwd. Yeah, you can get quattro (the Haldex version that is front-wheel biased)...starting at 34k+ with an iron-block V6 with no manual.

The A3, to me, is worthy competition to the 1-er, but hamstrung in the marketplace by short-sighted thinking. Nothing like sinking a
winner right from the start. But, typical of Audi. (eg. the TT's recent N/A debut is fwd only...quattro to follow in 4-6 mos.)

Go over to the A3 (8P) forums at Fourtitude.com. Post after post about how unhappy owners and potential owners are with the limited choices...this after 3 years of the model's N/A introduction. Too bad.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #39
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
And it's a BMW!:biggrin:
The 1-er, rwd coupe, as far as I know, stands alone in it's class in the premium tier.

The real crime is what Audi/NA has done to the A3 by limiting consumer choices with one bodystyle and mating it's hi-tech 4cyl engine with crappy
fwd. Yeah, you can get quattro (the Haldex version that is front-wheel biased)...starting at 34k+ with an iron-block V6 with no manual.

The A3, to me, is worthy competition to the 1-er, but hamstrung in the marketplace by short-sighted thinking. Nothing like sinking a
winner right from the start. But, typical of Audi. (eg. the TT's recent N/A debut is fwd only...quattro to follow in 4-6 mos.)

Go over to the A3 (8P) forums at Fourtitude.com. Post after post about how unhappy owners and potential owners are with the limited choices...this after 3 years of the model's N/A introduction. Too bad.

Its true, they sealed their own fates when they priced that car so high. They're still hung on the FWD. I can count on 2 hands how many I've seen in the past 3 years. I think they would be a very worthy competitor. I read somewhere that the A1 wont be coming to the U.S. And as far as the 1 series goes, they are going to wait on BMW. Thats what gets under my skin. EVERYONE waits on BMW. For example, i love how the new G37 coupe came out and the Infiniti had a "tired" 335i waiting for the journalists to test. And now Audi and Benz are going to wait to see about this 1.(I'm sure they already have something in the works) I mean if BMW didnt bring this thing, i HIGHLY doubt Benz, or Audi would have tapped into this market.

On a side note: I have a little theory about why BMW is bringing this thing to NA. Here Infiniti and Lexus are slowly creaping up on the invincible 3 series. They are gaining more ground of the market, but BMW has outpaced them at a good pace also. So instead of continuing this battle, they decided to invent another series. which is a great idea. I personally believe that the Infiniti and Lexus could not make a model to compete with BMW. I believe that mainly because the price would overlap with there Nissan/Toyota counterparts... What do u think?

I mean even if BMW makes this car for a short amount of time b/c of whatever reason, it will sure as hell wet a lot of apetites. My dads 04 192hp 3600lb 325ci gets my heart going. This 1 sure as hell will.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #40
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

The meetings I have had regarding US marketing's approach to integration of the 1er Coupe and Cabrio seems to suggest they are aiming at a "next best thing" approach - tapping into history with the 2002 and the introduction of a fashionable lifestyle - similar to the MINI. It's true that the Coupe will be aimed at Males both in the old and young demographic and the Cabrio at the female demographic.

In Germany and Europe we are going for a Emotional approach , looking at our history with a modern approach phasing into driving desire and the only integration so far offered in this segment.

The Cabrio which I am developing the concept now will be photographed and filmed in especially hot climates . As we approach the beautiful image of sun sea and sand to sell the image of a cruising machine ideal for these places... think something like this approach.

"It's a beautiful day"
The New BMW 1er Cabrio
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #41
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The meetings I have had regarding US marketing's approach to integration of the 1er Coupe and Cabrio seems to suggest they are aiming at a "next best thing" approach - tapping into history with the 2002 and the introduction of a fashionable lifestyle - similar to the MINI. It's true that the Coupe will be aimed at Males both in the old and young demographic and the Cabrio at the female demographic.

I think the big success of the MINI was first and foremost due to its instant desirability. It was certainly important that the driving dynamics backed up all the marketing hype, ("let's motor") but at the end of the day I think people buy it because it's such a cute car that you can paint in so many different ways and put on red leather seats.

I go to the MINI forums and regularly see people dropping over $30K on a loaded MINI. $30K for a 170HP B-segment hot hatch! It sure isn't reasonable, but people do it because a personalized MINI makes a statement like no other sub-$40K car can make.

I personally consider "making a lifestyle statement" an odd reason to buy a car, but if BMW can pull that off with the new 1er, I have no ground to object. That will certainly drive the price up, but then if it fails there may not be any 1er at all in the states, so it's fair in my book.

Still, the question is whether this little coupe has the instant desirability like the MINI does. I have been excited about this car for close to two years now, but so far no version of the 1 series has given me the zing that the MINI does. In fact not quite even close. Will the target demographic really bite into the 2002 nostalgia with a car that really doesn't even resemble the original, and probably doesn't drive like it either?

But then again I don't even have an iPod, so I guess I'm just not cool enough to "get it". :biggrin:

EDIT: I'm not bashing the MINI in any way, I am seriously considering getting it over the 1. But I probably won't spend much more than $25K on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #42
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
EVERYONE waits on BMW.
I mean if BMW didnt bring this thing, i HIGHLY doubt Benz, or Audi would have tapped into this market.

On a side note: I have a little theory about why BMW is bringing this thing to NA. Here Infiniti and Lexus are slowly creaping up on the invincible 3 series. They are gaining more ground of the market, but BMW has outpaced them at a good pace also. So instead of continuing this battle, they decided to invent another series. which is a great idea. I personally believe that the Infiniti and Lexus could not make a model to compete with BMW. I believe that mainly because the price would overlap with there Nissan/Toyota counterparts... What do u think?
Scott talks about tapping into nostalgia, which I agree with to an extent. To me the 1-er carves into the new rather than mines retro, but maybe I'm off on my own tangent.
And your comments about the competition creeping up on BMW's 3-er are, I think, very much on target.

My own feeling is that BMW correctly identified a global trend, but particularly one that has resonance in N/A because we're seeing a paradigm
shift towards smaller, sporty, premium attached to an awareness of technology that is responsible...geared towards safety, ecology, and economy.
I think also they were astounded at the success of the Mini.
I'm guessing because these models are planned so far ahead of things.

Where they really got it right was to expand the model out from the hatch to the coupe and cabrio and incorporate some very expensive technology into their least expensive car....
stop/start...regenerative brakes...variable speed water pump.

And Spin...what no i-Pod?

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #43
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

And Spin...what no i-Pod?

Oh I meant that I have an iPod, but it's.. in the shop. I'm getting the.. iOil changed and the ah.. iAlignment done. But yeah, I totally have an iPod. This DiskMan's loner.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #44
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

Female Oriented Marketing of the Cabrio Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

...they are aiming at ... a fashionable lifestyle ... and the Cabrio at the female demographic.

In Germany and Europe we are going for a Emotional approach ...

The Cabrio ... will be photographed and filmed in especially hot climates . ... image of sun sea and sand ...
Over the years both the BMW and MINI brands have been marketed quite successfully, and it's apparent that considerable thought and money went into these image campaigns. Generally, car manufacturers have refrained from targeting a vehicle primarily to a particularl gender, but I wouldn't be surprised if BMW were able to pull off a stunt like this, as Scott26 suggests is being contemplated. Notwithstanding the power of persuasian through media imagery (both subtle and overt), I believe the new BMW Coupé must first establish its credentials as a genuine performance-oriented sports vehicle, with a distinct masculine cachet, in order for the subsequent juxtaposition of the comparatively "soft" (rag-top), open and exposed, care-free and explicitly female-oriented Cabrio experience to achieve its most effective projection in the minds of the target group.

The fourth S-word, after "sun, sea, and sand", that Scott26 omitted is of course SEX, and this key element will undoubtedly play a part in the cabrio ad campaign. Since the multi-culti approach to portraying a fashionable, yet politically correct lifestyle seems to be quite trendy and almost ubiquitous in advertising nowadays (the well-dressed Black male in the presence of the Asian female -- yet hardly the other way around -- has already become somewhat of a cliché, even here in Germany, where one would hardly ever encounter these two types of peope together, except possibly at the two main airports), I'm already wondering if the images that we could eventually see in the American market might be something along the lines of the distinctly Germanic blonde female driving her topless Cabrio, say, on the hot Caribbean island of Jamaica (where she has perhaps come for a sex vacation, as the viewer might imagine, in addition to showing off and driving her BMW) while seated next to her temporary male companion, with distinctive white, smiling teeth offset against much darker complexion and dreadlock hair. I recall an official Porsche photo from a few years back, showing a blonde woman driving a red Boxster with blurry wheels and an olive-skinned Mediterranean type guy with black hair sitting beside her. (Of course they were both smiling.)

In my view, Audi has done an excellent job of expressing this general kind of Sun-Sea-Sand-Sex imagery in a video format without resorting to the male-female ethnic duality cliché, which many still regard as superficial or offensive. It's available on their German web site, featuring the A3 Sportback, with Berlin license plate, and the almost obligatory "69" integrated in the four-digit number. A female living in a modern art see-through Bauhaus style cottage overlooking the ocean takes her Audi Sportback on the winding coastal road to pick up her masculine "boyfriend", along with his mini surfboard and supplemental equipment. She drives him to go kite-surfing with his buddies, while she watches. Parked directly on the sandy beach is her Audi, over which her friend gracefully flies over in the ocean sunset, suggesting this could be somewhere in Portugal or California. They drive home together, but instead of engaging in you-know-what, she throws him the keys, and they both drive off into the sunset so he can enjoy being behind the wheel.

http://microsites.audi.com/a3_sportb..._DE/index.html

Obviously, if one looks at this critically, the sun should already have gone down by this time, but the implicit point seems to be that driving that particular car is more fun than doing you-know-what.
Appreciate 0