06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
sho-one
MMA fighter and F1 test driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4///M coupe bulletproof

Other than the stand alone options about the iPod interface and Bluetooth, I felt the interview lacked any new Information. I have my deposit down and will buy the 1m if it becomes available for military sales, but I am a little disappointed with all the marketing and bimmerfile's own suggestion leading up that the engine might by slightly tweaked.
After giving a long run around, he finally says it is the exact same engine from the IS (no higher tolerances, ect). This is something we all knew but hoped would be slightly different. Finally he says the engine exceeded their requirements, so they slapped the three stripes on "powered by m" Bimmerfile politely backed off in asking any more about it. If u have a 335is or a z4335is, u should feel perfectly justified in slapping a "powered by m" logo on your engine too. I felt they asked some good questions but not enough though questions, perhaps to stay in good graces with BMW. Anyway just my opinion, I still love the car and plan on buying one.
NOW:08 M.Coupe SMB #102/248 #1669/1815
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

THEN:96Accord|98Camry|04TSX SC|06 M3|06A4|05Civic Si|05Imprezza|05S2000|08FJ
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho-one View Post
Other than the stand alone options about the iPod interface and Bluetooth, I felt the interview lacked any new Information. I have my deposit down and will buy the 1m if it becomes available for military sales, but I am a little disappointed with all the marketing and bimmerfile's own suggestion leading up that the engine might by slightly tweaked.
After giving a long run around, he finally says it is the exact same engine from the IS (no higher tolerances, ect). This is something we all knew but hoped would be slightly different. Finally he says the engine exceeded their requirements, so they slapped the three stripes on "powered by m" Bimmerfile politely backed off in asking any more about it. If u have a 335is or a z4335is, u should feel perfectly justified in slapping a "powered by m" logo on your engine too. I felt they asked some good questions but not enough though questions, perhaps to stay in good graces with BMW. Anyway just my opinion, I still love the car and plan on buying one.
+1

I agree entirely with you. I like Bimmerfile, but they kept bringing up how M worked their magic on the engine in pervious podcast, and now we find out it is the exact same as the z4is. I am just getting a little tired with all the speculation with the car.

Still love it though ,and still have my deposit down on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Yep. I agree also. They should have at least done ANYTHING to the engine besides just say "ahh we're cool with it", just to say it's a different engine. But look at it this way, maintenance can't be more and tuning it should be easy. Plus if they really worked the cooling, that is a major plus.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
sho-one
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fireman View Post
Yep. I agree also. They should have at least done ANYTHING to the engine besides just say "ahh we're cool with it", just to say it's a different engine. But look at it this way, maintenance can't be more and tuning it should be easy. Plus if they really worked the cooling, that is a major plus.
Yeah cooling is a big plus, and I too am still gonna buy it. I can't wait to see what Cobb will come up with for the 1m. I hope the increase in cooling allows more of a increase in tuning down the line, however I doubt it will be any different in tuning any n54.

A whole new engine would be way out of budget and time, and maybe the s65 does not fit. But as far as time/money is concerned, it just doesn't seem too hard for ///M to tune this one a little higher spec for the he'll of it??? (prob cause they don't want to step on the m3's toes)

Alas all the speculation is over, I can't wait for production to begin and to get final confirmation of military sales availability.
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muwarrior07 View Post
+1

I agree entirely with you. I like Bimmerfile, but they kept bringing up how M worked their magic on the engine in pervious podcast, and now we find out it is the exact same as the z4is. I am just getting a little tired with all the speculation with the car.

Still love it though ,and still have my deposit down on it.
I will say that the info we have (and still have) is that M did make changes to the motor while not specific aside from reciprocating parts and they will also be in the Z4. I am sure Matt did not want to get into them yet- there will be more news on this car. BMW is not letting all the cats out of the bag (a production car is still not out there yet).

All we can do is report the info we are given and check it amongst sources the best we can- we are not BMW employees.

-M
      01-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Perhaps the guys at ///M have been eating too many M&M's
      01-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

This thread title should change to "1M Engine Confirmation".

So I bet the future M3, which is supposed to be based on this new "hybrid" engine according to Scott, will have the same engine but with bigger snails.

On the bright side of this latest 1M engine revelation it will be tunable right out of the box seeing how there's already options out there for the IS line up.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
On the bright side of this latest 1M engine revelation it will be tunable right out of the box seeing how there's already options out there for the IS line up.
The N54 tune in the 1M differs from the Z4 35is (and 335is) in that it has the M drive button altering throttle response.

Can't imagine this will be a big issue, but it strikes me as likely that the aftermarket tuners will have to be slightly revise their products for use in the 1M.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
sho-one
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I will say that the info we have (and still have) is that M did make changes to the motor while not specific aside from reciprocating parts and they will also be in the Z4. I am sure Matt did not want to get into them yet- there will be more news on this car. BMW is not letting all the cats out of the bag (a production car is still not out there yet).

All we can do is report the info we are given and check it amongst sources the best we can- we are not BMW employees.

-M
I do appreciate all the work u guys do, don't get me wrong.

But where I'm confused a bit is that either u know something concrete and can't say (maybe to protect ur sources, or u've heard stuff that u hope will be true. Your statement above "...they will also be in the z4" makes it seem like these changes have not happened on the n54 in the z4335is.

Lol I hope I am very wrong that this engine is exactly like the n54is engine, but that is what Matt said point blank. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...well I hope u don't.
09 Audi Q5

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
if is true it's not nice

Over the past two days we’ve learned quite a lot about the 1M from Dr Kay Segler and BMW NA M Brand Manager Matthew Russell. For starters yes that is a Z4 35is N54B30TO (aka “n54hp”) engine under the hood. While we had heard that there were various internal changes done by M. We can now confirm that there are no physical changes to the engine.

if it's true it's nice

As you heard in our interview with Matt Russell the Z4 35is has a N54 variant that was itself tweaked by the engineers at M. Specifically they have created two throttle maps (via the M button) and in turn created the most raucous N54 variant yet (based on how it sounded while revving at the show). From the lighter flywheel to the enhanced software and everything in between M went through the N54 thoroughly in creating the Z4 35is. Tolerances are tighter and the soul of the engine has been enhanced.

nice either

Dr. Segler was adamant that M had taken the soul of this N54 and turned up several notches to create something that has a different character than the Z4 35is.

wait and see if it is good

Also interesting was Dr. Segler’s comments on the development of the car. The time-frame that M had to work within was impacted by of all things the weather. The fact that most of the development took place at the ‘Ring (an M tradition) meant that M only had from April to October of this year to engineer and then sort the car. But what you end up with is “Pure M” has Dr. Segler calls it. What does that mean? In a quantitative way it means the 1M can do four laps on the ‘Ring generally unfazed (ie without much brake fade etc).

more

The manual transmission has been something often overlooked when talking about the 1M. Yes the lack of DCT has been referenced constantly in forums and even was the NAIAS floor this week. But what about the actual 6 speed in the car? We can now confirm that it is the same 6 speed found in the 135i with a E46 ZHP shift knob. The clutch however is the same item as in the Z4 35is 335is (due to needing to support the 369 ft lbs of torque on overboost).
      01-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
sbike
Rep
Drives: WRX, hoping for 2 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitt13 View Post
if is true it's not nice

Also interesting was Dr. Segler’s comments on the development of the car. The time-frame that M had to work within was impacted by of all things the weather. The fact that most of the development took place at the ‘Ring (an M tradition) meant that M only had from April to October of this year to engineer and then sort the car. But what you end up with is “Pure M” has Dr. Segler calls it. What does that mean? In a quantitative way it means the [b]1M can do four laps on the ‘Ring generally unfazed (ie without much brake fade etc).
Is 4 laps unusual? Would a stock M3 + DCT have problems with engine temps, transmission, or brakes in 4 laps? Seems like the 1M with less HP would be easier than the M3 on the DCT.

I'm just trying to get at if the 4 laps comment justifies the lack of DCT when a similar M3 has DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
sho-one
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitt13 View Post
if is true it's not nice

Over the past two days we’ve learned quite a lot about the 1M from Dr Kay Segler and BMW NA M Brand Manager Matthew Russell. For starters yes that is a Z4 35is N54B30TO (aka “n54hp”) engine under the hood. While we had heard that there were various internal changes done by M. We can now confirm that there are no physical changes to the engine.

if it's true it's nice

As you heard in our interview with Matt Russell the Z4 35is has a N54 variant that was itself tweaked by the engineers at M. Specifically they have created two throttle maps (via the M button) and in turn created the most raucous N54 variant yet (based on how it sounded while revving at the show). From the lighter flywheel to the enhanced software and everything in between M went through the N54 thoroughly in creating the Z4 35is. Tolerances are tighter and the soul of the engine has been enhanced.

nice either

Dr. Segler was adamant that M had taken the soul of this N54 and turned up several notches to create something that has a different character than the Z4 35is.

wait and see if it is good

Also interesting was Dr. Segler’s comments on the development of the car. The time-frame that M had to work within was impacted by of all things the weather. The fact that most of the development took place at the ‘Ring (an M tradition) meant that M only had from April to October of this year to engineer and then sort the car. But what you end up with is “Pure M” has Dr. Segler calls it. What does that mean? In a quantitative way it means the 1M can do four laps on the ‘Ring generally unfazed (ie without much brake fade etc).

more

The manual transmission has been something often overlooked when talking about the 1M. Yes the lack of DCT has been referenced constantly in forums and even was the NAIAS floor this week. But what about the actual 6 speed in the car? We can now confirm that it is the same 6 speed found in the 135i with a E46 ZHP shift knob. The clutch however is the same item as in the Z4 35is 335is (due to needing to support the 369 ft lbs of torque on overboost).

Yeah too much marketing jargon and speculation. I give up. It's no diffrent than the engine in the z4335is. Stop playing with my emotions lol. I can't wait till March.
09 Audi Q5

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho-one View Post
Yeah too much marketing jargon and speculation. I give up. It's no diffrent than the engine in the z4335is. Stop playing with my emotions lol. I can't wait till March.
+1

They should have confirmed it was the same engine right away.

Still hoping military sales works out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #15
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbike View Post
Is 4 laps unusual? Would a stock M3 + DCT have problems with engine temps, transmission, or brakes in 4 laps? Seems like the 1M with less HP would be easier than the M3 on the DCT.

I'm just trying to get at if the 4 laps comment justifies the lack of DCT when a similar M3 has DCT.
I don't know about how the 4 lap comment applies to the DCT decision, but my Cooper S with upgraded brakes will barely survive 2 laps before fading makes them nearly worthless. So I'd say 4 laps is pretty good

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

As far as brake fading and the Nordschleife goes...

...if the DTC and DSC are active and you rely on these systems, then you will get brake fading on any car rather sooner than later. Because the systems are constantly using the brakes to stabelize the car and thus your brakes will have very little cooling time. This will be true especially for front-wheel-drive cars without lsds. Not really a Nordschleife-specific problem.

Turn the systems off (which you should NOT do, if you do not know the track) and you are either not using your brakes efficiently in order to fry your brakes or have lousy fluid and pads. Other than that, the track itself provides plenty of parts that allow for effective brake cooling.

My M3 with DCT had no fading problems on the Nordschleife. Neither in MDM nor with DSC off.

The engine temps were not substantialy higher than on the Autobahn and the heat coming from below the car (you feel it through the carpeting) didn't seem unusually high. I am not sure about the "DCT makes it hot" theory though... imho I'd say it's the exhaust layout in the M39x and not the DCT. But I may be wrong.