BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
romka7
Private
Rep
Drives:

Installing iPod Interface

Hello everyone. I had a have a question about installing OEM iPod interface. BMW accessories catalog shows one for $320. Has anyone installed one of those and how hard is it? I did not get it with my car and now driving around listening to radio is getting to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
bobley
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I have a mini cooper with the Boost audio which is the same as the "Professional" Audio head unit in a BMW. I got the ipod interface fitted by the dealer. It plugs in on the back of the head unit and is routed into a special compartment. This is the easy bit.

The dealer must then recode the car to accept the new device. This takes quite a long time so they can charge quite a lot of labour. The grand total varies from £280 to £450 depending if the dealer charges the full hourly rate for the recoding (when the techie will probably be doing something else!). I'm afraid I've never heard of anyone recoding the car by any other method.

If I were you I'd have a look at one of these bluetooth audio receivers. You could pop it inside the armrest and plug it into the aux port and then play tunes from a bluetooth mobile? Or just plug the ipod into the aux port and make up a good playlist selection??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

we charge customers 1.5 hours labor for install and recode.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

How much is 1.5 hours of labor? If that includes install and the OEM iPod interface is only $320, it may not be that much more expensive..
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

at our dealer the labor is around 115/hr. should be about avg. give or take a little based on your region. so i guess anywhere from 150 to 200 for labor.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romka7 View Post
Hello everyone. I had a have a question about installing OEM iPod interface. BMW accessories catalog shows one for $320. Has anyone installed one of those and how hard is it? I did not get it with my car and now driving around listening to radio is getting to me.
Why not plug an MP3 player into the Aux port with a 1/8" mini cable?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Why not plug an MP3 player into the Aux port with a 1/8" mini cable?
the ipod interface allows control through your radio which some people prefer. especially if they have i drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
romka7
Private
Rep
Drives:

Well, thats not too bad... a little more than what it would have been from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
UpstateNYBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128

Good price on the iPod adapter

Looking to do the same thing...sorry I didn't get the factory option, and looking to be able to have basic control through the radio, using the radio display. I contacted Dan at United BMW and their discounted 1addicts price on the adapter is about $240. Check it out by clicking on the 1Addicts link on their page. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=215011

Dan said that he estimated about 1.5 hours of labor from the dealer as well for installation and programming. I'm going to talk with my service manager and see if he will give me a better deal...maybe they can change the oil while they're doing it!

I've been using an iPod Nano plugged into the Aux jack and it sounds and works OK, but it's a pain to have to fumble for the iPod and use the small screen when driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'm wondering how much this is actually worth it. Apparently it still actually plays through the AUX input even with the adaptor and the only advantage is the ipod is controllable through the radio which isn't so great since I find the radio pretty hard to read anyways. Perhaps it is worthwhile if you have idrive but otherwise I think I'll probably pass.
      06-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
RastaGurl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romka7 View Post
I've actually done the install myself. I have iDrive, so in lieu of using the aux input, the iPOd interface made sense.

The installation was a bit involved, as I decided to put the iPod in the ashtray as opposed to the glove compartment, and to get to the underside of the ashtray the centre console has to be removed. AndyM has an awesome write-up in the DIY section on removing the centre console. He's also done a write-up on removing trim, which, in conjunction with the trim removal tools he recommended, was invaluable. Removal of the glove compartment is a relatively simple process, and requires removal of the vent and side trim on the passenger side, as well as the trim around the radio, then removing the torx screws holding it (the glove compartment) in place.

The most difficult and time consuming part for me was getting the interface module into its allocated spot behind the glove compartment, otherwise, it's a straightforward process, and the provided instructions from BMW are precise. The local dealer did the recode for free, which I thought was pretty cool of them.

If you decide to do it, feel free to send me a PM if you need help.
Appreciate 0