BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
deeb
boss.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

CDN Leasing from USA

Is this possible? The 135 I want is approx $8,000 cheaper and I was hoping to get some ideas/opinions as to leasing from a dealership in the US, and if it's even possible? Any ideas??

Thx guys!

Deeb.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Deeb. Do some searches in the site. You will quickly find that BMW USA won't touch you. I might be possible when the 1 has been around for a while.

I paid 30% more with all the options, and I absolutely hate that! I had no choice if I wanted the car, so I caved and got it.

The car is totally totally sick! I love it to bits. I have over 5 k on it now. I was temped to buy a GTI, then looked at mini, then this.

If you do more research and find out how to make it work for you, please post. I will buy another 1 in a couple of years maybe... depending on the newer options. I am a bit of a techjunkie, and love gps etc.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Is this possible? The 135 I want is approx $8,000 cheaper and I was hoping to get some ideas/opinions as to leasing from a dealership in the US, and if it's even possible? Any ideas??

Thx guys!

Deeb.
It is possible, but not easy. Here is what you will have to do:

First - you will need a US address and a US Driver's license. Apply for a US Credit card and open up a bank account with a US Bank.

After you do this, any US BMW dealer can sell you a car. You do not have to be an American citizen, but you will have to have US "presence". Hopefully you will qualify for a lease with BMW USA. If you are not working and living in the US - it probably won't happen. But you can still purchase the car with cash.

When you want to bring the car back into Canada - it will have to pass RIV. This means getting it inspected - having the day running lights updated, changing the speedometer head and a few other incidentals - this will cost about $3,500.

You will also have to pay GST, PST and 6.2% excise tax as the car was not made in North America. And you will also have to pay an additional $100 since the car has air conditioning. (Edit - since you would have had to have paid GST and PST anyway - in this case if you are paying on a slightly lower purchase price - this will actually help defer some of the cost of the 6.2% excise tax)

Finally - to have it registered for warranty by BMW Canada - be prepared to pay $1,500 or more to process the paperwork.

As you can see - it is possible, but not practical. At the end of the day, you will spend almost what you will in Canada.

Don't forget - the standard equipment is different in Canada - for example - you can't get "no sunroof" option or anthracite headliner on the US Model. The Sport package on the 135i in Canada also comes with the 261M sport wheels, M door sills and heated seats.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
It is possible, but not easy. Here is what you will have to do:

First - you will need a US address and a US Driver's license. Apply for a US Credit card and open up a bank account with a US Bank.

After you do this, any US BMW dealer can sell you a car. You do not have to be an American citizen, but you will have to have US "presence". Hopefully you will qualify for a lease with BMW USA. If you are not working and living in the US - it probably won't happen. But you can still purchase the car with cash.

When you want to bring the car back into Canada - it will have to pass RIV. This means getting it inspected - having the day running lights updated, changing the speedometer head and a few other incidentals - this will cost about $3,500.

You will also have to pay GST, PST and 6.2% excise tax as the car was not made in North America. And you will also have to pay an additional $100 since the car has air conditioning. (Edit - since you would have had to have paid GST and PST anyway - in this case if you are paying on a slightly lower purchase price - this will actually help defer some of the cost of the 6.2% excise tax)

Finally - to have it registered for warranty by BMW Canada - be prepared to pay $1,500 or more to process the paperwork.

As you can see - it is possible, but not practical. At the end of the day, you will spend almost what you will in Canada.

Don't forget - the standard equipment is different in Canada - for example - you can't get "no sunroof" option or anthracite headliner on the US Model. The Sport package on the 135i in Canada also comes with the 261M sport wheels, M door sills and heated seats.

I hope this helps.
In addition to this, Canadian dealers typically reserve the lowest priority spots for service appointments vehicles with a US VIN, and only may have a couple available per month... so be prepared to wait, and hopefully you have a spare vehicle available, because you'll probably not be getting a loaner car.

Yes it sucks, but they've gone to enormous steps to protect the Canadian dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Lets not forget you probably won't get the full warranty here. I think I read that you can't get the oil change, wiper blades, etc covered. I could be wrong. I wish it was possible too. As much as I love the car, my PDC failed 2 days after. You think they have parts??? In the end I waited a month. I got a loaner 325 but that was after waiting for an extra 3 days. First time they ave me a really stinky saturn sh*t box. Man I really missed the 135. If had work to be done, and had to shell our for a rental...yikes! Fine print here is very important! If you drive to USA all the time, then maybe you can have them do the work in USA? Hmmm maybe not after it's been Canbummerized.

EspressoBoy

If you do decide please post as there a lots of people who would love to follow if they manage to save some $$$ cause as U know, life is not fair and BMW Canada is letting you know that!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
deeb
boss.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wow, thanks for all the input. Looks like I'm better off just getting it here... And that is what I shall do! (just looking at all my options!!) Thanks again guys!.
Appreciate 0