BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
foundonroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 jet black 128i sport

Usarim.com

I am considering going the all black look. While looking around, I found this company...usarim.com. They have a black wheel that looks good at a surprisingly good price. Too good......385 for a set of 4. I am not particularly interested in going cheap, but if these are ok, I might do it. Anybody know anything? as I am kind of leary........
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

You should post more information about what your looking at. The information you provided is the same as if you told me you saw a TV in Best Buy for $385 and you want to know if it's good.

And yes, $385 for brand new wheels (whole set) is ebay style cheap and I would avoid them. I've been gifted, and then I've re-gifted wheels like that with light use, due to all of them having bends from regular freeway driving. It's never good when the cheapest tires are still more expensive then your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

i looked at usarim also but i was skeptical about the quality of the wheels and whether or not the wheels would fit. I know the wheels are made by Eurotech and i found out a little about them from this thread.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/search...archid=5144327
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
foundonroad
United_States
Rep

The wheels are bmw-730-17......that is the model number? There are only three wheel styles available for the 128. They have a supposed lifetime structural warranty and a 1 year finish warranty. I am easy on my car, so....just still seems too cheap. Just wondering if anyone had purchased Eurotech wheels, which is who supposedly makes them. Again, 385 for set of 4.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

did you read the thread that i posted the link to? some people were very satisfied and others were very very upset about their wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
foundonroad
United_States
Rep

yes, I did read that. Thanks. Kind of like "the more you know, the less you know" so I was just soliciting some more opinions. Currently sounds like something to stay away from, but the appearance, price, and warranty? seem to be worth further investigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundonroad View Post
yes, I did read that. Thanks. Kind of like "the more you know, the less you know" so I was just soliciting some more opinions. Currently sounds like something to stay away from, but the appearance, price, and warranty? seem to be worth further investigation.
I've had several sets over the years. They are worth the price. No more. They are heavy. They are soft. And the finish is not durable. Oxidation and wear plus some mystery pitting plagued most of them. This was while I lived in Atlanta - a relatively mild climate. When I moved to Rochester (NY) I used a set the first year I was here for winter wheels with snow tires. The wheels just about disintegrated. Some sort of 'fungus' cloudy greenish/brownish substance appeared under the clearcoat and ate the wheels. By the time spring came around the wheels looked like something off an antique John Deere tractor.

And most of these wheels were in the $500 - $700 a set range. Needless to say I've gained new respect for 'good' wheels. These are not. They are just wheels. Disposable wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
foundonroad
United_States
Rep

That is what is was thinking. Too good to be true. I am pretty happy with the stock wheels, just want to go black. Than ks and I will keep looking. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundonroad View Post
That is what is was thinking. Too good to be true. I am pretty happy with the stock wheels, just want to go black. Than ks and I will keep looking. Any suggestions?
Wheel opinions are like political opinions. But for what it's worth, the Breytons GTS-R in black is an awefully nice wheel for not a lot of money. Well made, great looking, light - nice and light and at the Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

sucks that you had problems with them. have you tried to get them to honor that lifetime warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishBone33 View Post
sucks that you had problems with them. have you tried to get them to honor that lifetime warranty?
That warranty is not full, it is limited and riddled with the standard legaleeeze loopholes that render it pretty much useless outside of catastrophic failure. Also to pay frieght on a cheap wheel really begs one to just get a decent wheel up front.
Appreciate 0