BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

TUN3D 135i build (1M Conversion) - DUCTS & PPK2

Thanks to ilikebmxbikes, Sk8fe, Venom, EINSER M, Mybad135, Tony135, uberschnell, and a few others for answering my questions in regards to this project. Not reinventing the wheel here, just another boring 1M conversion -- haha! Hopefully some of the pics will help the next guy in line -- so lets get to it.

Note: I broke this build into different sections/threads. The page was getting so big that even I had trouble following or finding things at times. This conversion has many phases. I've done my best to group them in a manner which is easy to understand and navigate.

Navigation: Conversion & Parts List
Home Page & Main Build Thread
Front
Rear & Quarters
Battery & Exhaust
Ducts & PPK2 <

----------------------------------------
In this post you'll find:
• PPK2 Explanation
• PPK2 Parts & Installation
• PPK2 Radiator Bracket Issue
• Ducts

//////////////////////////////////////////////
AIR DUCT ISSUE
=========================

The 1M air-duct(s) installation is pretty straight-forward, to a certain degree. The passenger side bolts directly to the oil-cooler -- but -- what about the drivers side? Well, that's a problem. Luckily, there's a solution...

As you can see the passenger side has the mounting points...

1M's come equipped with a "BMW Performance Power Kit" or "PPK" stage-2 upgrade. They're also available as an accessory for the 1, 3, & X6 > N54, N55, and N63 engines...

PPK OPTIONS > Thanks to Dackelone
PPK1 - Cars only have the SW flash tune from BMW. So only a sticker would be the tale-tell. Or if you checked your turbo boost level... it would be a few psi higher with the PPK1 tune.

PPK2 - Cars have some mechanical tale-tells like: Extra radiator in the drivers wheel fender, radiator fan relays moved, horns relocated.

This extra radiator is needed in order to properly mount the driver's side 1M air-duct. Otherwise, it'll just dangle by a single bolt. The alternative is to custom make a mounting bracket -- or -- 3M/drill it to the bumper (which I'm not doing).

The 1M/PPK2 comes with a 850w radiator fan as opposed to the standard 135i which comes with a 600w radiator fan. I'm doing this properly so I'm getting the PPK2 (a little extra cooling never hurt anyone). I'm not, however, going to replace my fan. The 850w fan in the PKK2 does not use the same wiring harness as the 135i's stock fan. The kit comes with a heavier wiring harness that connects to the main terminal block, as well as an external fan relay and fuse (thanks > Pig Farmer). I'm sure the install is not that bad, but I don't see a need.

PPK2 PARTS (À La Carte)

Note: Please read the "Notes & Updates" section (associated with these parts), prior to ordering. It's important to understand some of the issues/risks involved in ordering the PPK2 "À La Carte". For safe measure -- ordering the "Complete Kit" (although pricey), is probably the way to go and overall best approach. Whichever route you take, this post will certainly help you in terms of understanding the parts involved and the installation process...

Here's the list. Thanks again to Dackelone, Qbrozen, scottn2retro, Pig Farmer, zx10guy, gregthegr8, owen2001 & a few others that initially sparked up the conversation and generated the parts list and documentation.

Complete Kit
11122184495 - Performance Power Kit (*1)

Required Parts:
17117602241 - Radiator L
51647154545 - Bumper Carrier Bracket L (*2)
07147144953 - Hex Nut With Plate, M8-Z2 > Qty. 2
17217540030 - Radiator/Oil Cooler Mount
07119903995 - Hex Bolt, M6X20-U2-8.8
64219222129 - Heater Hose
17127602294 - Coolant Hose
17428508253 - 850w fan assembly (includes shroud) (*3)

Optional Parts:
64216963248 - Heater Hose Clamp (*4)
=======================

Notes & Updates:
(*1) This product fits (31) vehicle variants including the 1-Series (E82,E88) which came in (8) variants between 2009-2012. 3-Series (E21,E30,E36,E46,E90,E91,E92,E93): (2) models, (23) variants from 2008-2012. Consult with your dealer and do some RESEARCH prior to ordering. Make sure you're getting the correct kit for your vehicle.
(*2) I had a big issue ordering this bracket "À La Carte". Please see the pics and notes below for details. In a nutshell, the bolts on the bracket are too short and don't allow you to mount/secure the radiator. From my understanding, the "Complete Kit" comes with the proper bracket/bolt length.
(*3) Initially, I thought you could successfully complete the PPK2 install WITHOUT the 850w fan/shroud. Even though you CAN install the "Coolant Hose" with the standard 600w fan shroud -- I STRONGLY recommend against it. For starters, if not positioned properly, the hose will rub/grind against the pulley's and/or belt(s) system. Not only WILL it damage the hose, it can potentially damage the pulley's as well. This happens (in part) because the TWO clips securing the hose to the fan shroud, don't line up properly. Unless you bend and modify the "Coolant Hose" to fit the 600w shroud -- It simply won't work. The "Coolant Hose" is SPECIFICALLY shaped/designed to work with the 850w shroud. Anyhow, the good news is that the 850w fan/shroud goes in like butter. The electrical connection is plug-n-play. After testing -- it all works properly. I bring this up because the PPK2 kit comes with an upgraded relay and wiring harness to support the larger 850w fan. Other members have been running the larger 850w fan (without the beefed-up wiring harness) for about a year without ANY problems. Still too early to determine the long term implications (if any) -- so do this at your own risk. Wouldn't hurt to consult with someone with a better understanding of the 135's electrical system. I have been running it for months without issues.
(*4) Mine came off when I removed the hose. Didn't break it, but just in case. Only costs about $1.

PPK2 RADIATOR BRACKET INSTALLATION
1) Remove the left headlight and headlight bracket.
2) Remove the (8) bolts holding the bumper carrier. Use a long socket extension.
3) On the left side of the inter-cooler, find the radiator mount. Push the tab on the mount to release.
4) Remove the upper "long" bolt holding the radiator support. Directly above the headlight.
5) Pull the radiator support forward, from the left side, to free up the bumper carrier bracket.

Here's the radiator mount tab you have to release...

Here's what the radiator mount and 135i left bumper carrier bracket looks like when removed...

In the left image, you'll see the upper "long" bolt that needs to be removed. Directly above the headlight. In the right image, you'll see the separation needed to remove the bumper carrier bracket...

For the radiator mount, it's a snug fit. Doesn't look like it will work at first but it does. Once you insert it, grab a flat-head screwdriver and rotate it. There's is a specific groove on the mounts that allows you do do this without damaging the piece...

After all the parts came in, everything seemed to be running pretty smooth until I did a little test fitting. I noticed that the bumper carrier bracket bolts did not go all the way thru the radiator bolt guides. That's a pretty big issue considering the bolts are spot welded onto the bracket. I did some research and made sure I had the right part # -- everything checked out. I immediately called BMW to see if there was some kind of part modification/update -- nothing...

The "solution" -- remove the bolts. I stopped by a machine shop really quick, cut out the bolts, and hammered thru the holes -- perfect. Threw a little flat-black paint on it -- good to go. This basically allows you to use whatever bolts you like...

Bolt up and you're good to go...

Back-side view...

Perfect fit...

Here are some diagrams showing you how the PPK2 hoses run. The "Heater Hose" runs from the firewall, along the chargepipe to the new radiator...
Note: It's best to drain the radiator before you do this. If not, you're gonna have coolant all over the place.

The firewall "Heater Hose" connecting point is underneath the intake -- it's the one on the bottom. Pop the clip and pull it out. You have plenty of room and leverage to do it. These connectors are a little tough so be persistent...

Once you disconnect the "Heater Hose", just weave it out. To insert the new one, retrace your steps...

Coolant Hose...

BY FAR, this is the most difficult part of the install. Room is very limited and the connections can be stubborn -- not only to remove, but to put back in. A lift will make your life a million times easier (I did it without one). To start, you need to drop the inter-cooler, remove the radiator fan, and intake air duct tubing (in that order). This will give you all the clearance and leverage needed to complete the task. Also, if you're doing it without a lift -- remove the right headlight. The left image above shows you the higher connecting point on the radiator. The lower connecting point is directly behind the inter-cooler inlet and goes into the engine block. Everything is a perfect fit so don't worry about it. You'll understand which way is north-and-south once you start working. The connectors themselves (male/female), follow a specific groove pattern. In other words, no tricks or twisting to the method. They go in/come out ONLY one way...

Last edited by TUN3D; 03-25-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
AndyW650.00
houtan701.00
      02-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

Hi, two things here in 2021.

1) Part no. 11122184495, aka PPK2 for our cars, has officially been discontinued from BMW. You can no longer order it. However, the individual parts are still available for purchase.

2) The reason why the bumper carrier bracket, part no. 51647154545, doesn't fit, is because that is the wrong part. 51647154545 is only for the E9x 3 series and does not fit on the E82 M Coupe. The part you want is 51647975360.
Appreciate 2
houtan701.00
lab_rat394.50
      02-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

That also means the a la carte pricing is currently $1272 USD, the vast majority of which is the 850 W fan & shroud which is over $700. That is ~$400 less than the PPK2, but does not come with the upgraded relay that the kit does for the 850W fan.

Last thing I'll say here is that I don't know if the listed heater & coolant hoses will work on an N55, or what the differences there are between the N54 and the N55. Buyer beware if trying to retrofit for an N55.

Last edited by M_Anthony; 02-17-2021 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
houtan701.00