BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #23
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Unfortunately in the USA another factor forcing auto tranny is gas mileage

Most automatic transmissions get better gas mileage compared to the manual due to faster shifting and "economy" modes in the US govt standardized tests and the increasingly stringent MPG regulations will make manuals obsolete for most models sold in the US in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #24
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I'll only regret it if it can't hold 23PSI long-term. So far so good.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #25
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I've been thinking about an e36 M3 for a while to own as a fun car. Now that car, I would NEVER drive with an auto trans.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191600873870...3870&viewitem=

no affiliation, just somebody I know from another list (lots of mods with this one)
      06-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #26
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Depends how much you like your clutch and syncros then I guess.
Heel toe is a braking technique. Lol my synchros and clutch are just fine toretto.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #27
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Only if we let it. If people buy manuals, the car companies will still make them.

34% of Minis sold in the U.S. are still manual. You just have to know where to find them.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...l-transmisson/
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #28
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

hell no DCT all the way
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #29
mikes45
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08' Sapphire Black 135i

I actually regret not getting an automatic. I HATE rush hour, special the ones that creep. My leg gets tired after an hour of clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out. Manual is nice on a highway late at night though, were you can really open it up.

Mike

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" -- Richard Henry Lee, 1788
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
The synchros exist for the purpose of matching revs to provide long clutch life; they don't experience extra wear by doing their job.

I get 150K miles from my clutches, just like the majority of MT drivers who do the same. Again, do what you want, just don't perpetuate false information.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #31
Kev!n
master of my domain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I was always a die hard manual guy until last summer when I found one of the last brand new 135is coupes which happened to be equipped with a DCT. I was looking for a manual, but one test drive with the DCT and then the subsequent year with it has made me a convert. I love the DCT and I can't spread the good word of dual clutch transmissions to enough people. Best of both worlds IMHO and my 42 year old bones don't miss a clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #32
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev!n View Post
I was always a die hard manual guy until last summer when I found one of the last brand new 135is coupes which happened to be equipped with a DCT. I was looking for a manual, but one test drive with the DCT and then the subsequent year with it has made me a convert. I love the DCT and I can't spread the good word of dual clutch transmissions to enough people. Best of both worlds IMHO and my 42 year old bones don't miss a clutch pedal.
I'm die hard manual guy, but I really want to drive a dual clutch car, I've heard of quite a few people switching over to the DCT and liking it more than a manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #33
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Only if we let it. If people buy manuals, the car companies will still make them.
But american's don't "want" manuals anymore. it's too much of a bother.

meanwhile the rest of us that actually want manuals, have to suffer. do you want us to suffer? DO YOU!??! quit being selfish and buy a manual so i can have the option!

/rant

what I don't understand though is when a car gets announced that has a manual (like the '16 focus RS) there is a huge hype like "they are going to offer it with an actual 6 speed!" which makes me think there are still people out there that really want manuals.

I also know a lot of people who would have bought a manual for their current car, but they couldn't find one or it wasn't offered. that skews the numbers IMO.
      06-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #34
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer
Quote:
The synchros exist for the purpose of matching revs to provide long clutch life; they don't experience extra wear by doing their job.

I get 150K miles from my clutches, just like the majority of MT drivers who do the same. Again, do what you want, just don't perpetuate false information.
Yes, the synco will slow down the gear to allow the dog ring lock the gear to the shaft. The bigger the difference between the speed of the gear, and the speed of the shaft, the hotter the syncro gets, which means it wears faster. If you rev match, there is essentially no wear.

I have always driven a manual, and I have no idea how long a clutch would last for me, as I have never worn one out, many cars with 300k+, even my race car had about 40k on a stock clutch, looked new when I sold it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #35
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
I LOVE MY DCT. I am never ever going back to a MT.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
That's easy. Test drive the car you want in an automatic. If you like it with the automatic, you'll love it with a manual. That's as long as the automaker is still making it with a manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyloft View Post
meh. i disagree. I have driven a few cars where i hated the car as an automatic, but they were awesome as a manual. if you only get to test the auto, you may be depriving yourself of some enjoyable cars.
Of course my statement will not apply to every single car out there and should be taken as a general rule of thumb, especially considering the lack of manuals on car lots these days that are available for manual enthusiasts to test drive.

Some time, most of the time, your only choice for a test drive is in an automatic. What are you gonna do, pass up on a potentially great car just because you can't test drive it with the transmission you want? I think that would be a mistake.

In test driving a car with an automatic that you may want to order in a manual you have to use some common sense and try to realize how different the car would be if it were a manual. That's the only way this would work IMO.
      06-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #37
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

That is essentially what I had to do. Test drove a 128 auto and a 135 auto, but ordered the stick.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #38
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Of course my statement will not apply to every single car out there and should be taken as a general rule of thumb, especially considering the lack of manuals on car lots these days that are available for manual enthusiasts to test drive.

Some time, most of the time, your only choice for a test drive is in an automatic. What are you gonna do, pass up on a potentially great car just because you can't test drive it with the transmission you want? I think that would be a mistake.

In test driving a car with an automatic that you may want to order in a manual you have to use some common sense and try to realize how different the car would be if it were a manual. That's the only way this would work IMO.
yeah. actually, i test drove a 128 auto when i got my car. the dealer let me test drive a 335 manual so I could get a feel of the shifter and clutch.
      06-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #39
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

I was actually worried. The closest thing I drove to my car was a used, pre lci, 135 auto, in the winter with bald OE tires on it.

Dropped 60k on the car, waited nearly 5 months to get it, picked it up in Germany.

Kept thinking "holy shit, I better like it...."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #40
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Yes, the synco will slow down the gear to allow the dog ring lock the gear to the shaft. The bigger the difference between the speed of the gear, and the speed of the shaft, the hotter the syncro gets, which means it wears faster. If you rev match, there is essentially no wear.

I have always driven a manual, and I have no idea how long a clutch would last for me, as I have never worn one out, many cars with 300k+, even my race car had about 40k on a stock clutch, looked new when I sold it.
Using this logic, you shouldn't rev the engine above 2500 rpm, because doing so generates more heat and friction, which leads to wear.

I'm not a big engine revver either shifting up or down, not an aggressive driver, so none of this is an issue for me. I am curious, though: how old are you that you've driven many cars more than 300K miles?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #41
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer
Quote:

Using this logic, you shouldn't rev the engine above 2500 rpm, because doing so generates more heat and friction, which leads to wear.

I'm not a big engine revver either shifting up or down, not an aggressive driver, so none of this is an issue for me. I am curious, though: how old are you that you've driven many cars more than 300K miles?
I am 45. And I drive a lot. I also use the "full capabilities" of the car on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #42
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Oh no, yet another manual vs auto thread!

That said, I don't regret buying a manual.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #43
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I'm die hard manual guy, but I really want to drive a dual clutch car, I've heard of quite a few people switching over to the DCT and liking it more than a manual.
The DCT is loads of fun (to me, especially in manual mode) and it shifts as fast as hell, and no matter how good you are, a manual just can't shift as fast. I realize it's not all about speed, but that is a fact. Also, there's the convenience of an auto if you're stuck in traffic.

But as I've said before, if I had a choice it would be a manual. It's so much more involving and engaging. Nothing compares to clutch, shift, clutch, downshift, and controlling the rpms IMO. I'm not driving in stop and go traffic everyday and I understand not wanting to deal with a manual transmission if that is your situation.
      06-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Oh no, yet another manual vs auto thread!
We need all the new threads we can get. Participation seems to be slowing down and we don't want to lose 1ADDICTS.

Everyone please help.