BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Griots has officially jumped the shark

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/about+us/where+to+buy.do

I really don't use their products anymore, but I still love huffing speed shine from the towel when nobody's looking.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

kind of odd actually... an internet store that has gone to "brick and morter" ... usually the other way around....

I perfer to look and touch items that i am thinking of buying.. good for you Griots !!!

Must have been some hell of a deal with Advance auto parts..
      05-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Griot's products are still amongst the best out there. Making some of their stuff available at a B&M hardly qualifies
as "jumping the shark". Advance has been really aggressive lately trying to keep afloat as O'Reilly & AutoZone keep
growing. I'm sure if Chemical Guys or Dodo Juice products (for example) became available at Sears next week no
one would be complaining. I, for one, would be thrilled not to have to pay the insane shipping & handling costs that
some of these internet retailers (you know who you are) charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Not sure I agree about Griot's being among the best, but I don't see how their presence in B&M stores is any different than Meguiars being available lots of places.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To each his own, of course. But some of Griot's line being available at one retailer (3400 stores total) doesn't
equate to Meguiars being available at every major retailer on the planet. I compare this to when a band becomes
popular (i.e.- mainstream), they're no longer considered "cool".
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
To each his own, of course. But some of Griot's line being available at one retailer (3400 stores total) doesn't
equate to Meguiars being available at every major retailer on the planet. I compare this to when a band becomes
popular (i.e.- mainstream), they're no longer considered "cool".
Agreed, but Meguiars is still making much better product than Griot's, at better prices. Volume generally helps drive down price and this should be a good thing for Griot's.

To be fair, I am "that guy" that tends to only like bands that haven't broken yet. But I'll stick to primarily Menzerna, Chemical Guys and Optimum for the time being, and will continue to feel the love for our excellent forum sponsors.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Agreed, but Meguiars is still making much better product than Griot's, at better prices.
While I'm a fan of much of Meguiars line, we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Quote:
To be fair, I am "that guy" that tends to only like bands that haven't broken yet.
I knew it!

Quote:
But I'll stick to primarily Menzerna, Chemical Guys and Optimum for the time being, and will continue to feel the love for our excellent forum sponsors.
I also use many of the more "exotic" brands out there and confess to experimenting with the latest and greatest. My objection earlier re: S&H was valid,
however. $10 to ship a couple of microfiber towels is totally ridiculous. It tends to make one shy away from some of our sponsors.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
$10 to ship a couple of microfiber towels is totally ridiculous. It tends to make one shy away from some of our sponsors.
Fair point, I'm a coffee snob, and my favorite roaster in Chicago and LA thinks it's funny to charge $18 of shipping for two 12 oz bags of beans, so I've stopped using them.

As for Meg, they're actually similar to Griot's to me, I like Griot's interior detailer, and I like Meg 105 and 205, plus Scratch X is pretty good for a quick hand applied spot correcter. Neither does every product perfectly, but I find Meg is a more consistent and better valued experiment if I'm trying new things.
Appreciate 0