BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 and x1 35i

Visiting Austin Texas

Ill be in Austin Texas this weekend for Wakeboarding national competition. I am just wondering if there is anything I should do while I am there.

Thanks.
      09-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Suggestions:

1. Check out the best BBQ in the country (yes, I'm biased ) - most local is Franklin's (but the line I'm told is ridiculous, haven't gone personally but friends tell me it rocks). Also check out the ones down towards Lockhart (about 45 min SW of downtown) - see www.texasbbqtrails.com for all the locations. These spots consistently rank high in the state's BBQ rankings. You can't really go wrong with any of them, but whatever you do always ask for the moistest/fattiest brisket. Sometimes the cutter will just cut the leanest bit they can but if you spec the extra moist explicitly, it turns out way better.

2. Visit the Texas Capitol - tallest in the country believe, a good bit of history, if you're into that stuff.

3. 6th Street - Austin is a college town after all, and 6th is where all the clubs/bars are. Mind you, don't take a car because a) traffic is horrendous even at midnight and b) cops are strict on DUI in the area.

4. Circuit of the Americas (just an idea) - not sure if there's anything you could actually do there, but since it's our new USGP track you might be able to check it out.

5. Mt. Bonnell - nice windy roads leading up to the park, short hike (I think there are longer trails in the area if you like that stuff), great view of Lake Austin/Westlake Hills.

That's stuff I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
kellyzerx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Gourdough's Big. Fat. Donuts.

http://www.gourdoughs.com/

Was on Eat Street on the food network. It's a permanently parked silver streamliner trailer made into a food truck (trailer?).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Salt Lick BBQ!