BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

E85 93Oct mix with cobb

Okay so I've seen that Dmacc's car is running e85 with everything else stock (FMIC, DP's) so is it really necessary to run an Upgraded FMIC and DP's to test out the cobb ots E30 maps? Or even run the stage 2 maps with no bolt on's I mean I've seen dmacc's video on YouTube and he's putting down some serious power there with just a catback and intake..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Sure you could, but your tune is in no way optimized. You probably wont hurt anything, but you wont make nearly the power you would if you actually had those parts. You might even make less with stage 2 than you would with stage 1 depending on mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So how is dmacc making that much power?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Ideally you want a FMIC, and DPs when running higher boost levels, I am actually in the process of seeking out a fmic and my downpipes are sitting off the car in the garage at the moment.

With high boost levels like the 20psi midrange I was seeing, your cats will not last too long before they become useless. And without a fmic, you will see heatsoak very quickly.

A procede car on 100% e85 fbo was putting down 455whp and 500lbs of torque on a dyno jet, that is some serious power with no meth!

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Ideally you want a FMIC, and DPs when running higher boost levels, I am actually in the process of seeking out a fmic and my downpipes are sitting off the car in the garage at the moment.

With high boost levels like the 20psi midrange I was seeing, your cats will not last too long before they become useless. And without a fmic, you will see heatsoak very quickly.

A procede car on 100% e85 fbo was putting down 455whp and 500lbs of torque on a dyno jet, that is some serious power with no meth!
Thanks for the chime in, so essentially you can run e85 mix without bolt on's you'll just kill the DP's and notice heat soak, that is of course if you're pushing it all the time, I guess my question is if I do a mix without bolt on's on a daily drive that sees an occasional burst on the highway will it be that harmful? I intend on changing my FMiC and DP's just not right now
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane
So how is dmacc making that much power?
My car was running ~70% e85 ~30% e85 at the air strip event. With more ethanol content you can take advantage of higher boost and timing.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the chime in, so essentially you can run e85 mix without bolt on's you'll just kill the DP's and notice heat soak, that is of course if you're pushing it all the time, I guess my question is if I do a mix without bolt on's on a daily drive that sees an occasional burst on the highway will it be that harmful? I intend on changing my FMiC and DP's just not right now
In the short run, your car will be just fine, if you are constantly pushing the car like on a road course for long periods of time, then I would be more concerned, just know that the risk of premature failure is always there, not saying it happens as often as you might think, but the risk is still there.

You should be good man

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

With Cobb's OTS E30 maps, bolt ons are required to use the map and make your car run efficiently. If you don't have bolt ons, then it would be best to go into ATR and alter some parameters.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In the short run, your car will be just fine, if you are constantly pushing the car like on a road course for long periods of time, then I would be more concerned, just know that the risk of premature failure is always there, not saying it happens as often as you might think, but the risk is still there.

You should be good man
What if I run a 80/20 93 e85 mix? Will I need to run a stage 2 map on my cobb or will I notice differences on my stage 1 aggressive? Or will I need to run the ots race maps..I'm assuming I'd need to run the race maps
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be good man
What if I run a 80/20 93 e85 mix? Will I need to run a stage 2 map on my cobb or will I notice differences on my stage 1 aggressive?
You cannot run more than really a 50% mix without your lpfp not being able to keep up. If you want to run more than 30% e85 with the Cobb e30 ots map, you will want to get a protune for a higher mix. You will yield much better gains than the ots map

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be good man
What if I run a 80/20 93 e85 mix? Will I need to run a stage 2 map on my cobb or will I notice differences on my stage 1 aggressive?
You cannot run more than really a 50% mix without your lpfp not being able to keep up. If you want to run more than 30% e85 with the Cobb e30 ots map, you will want to get a protune for a higher mix. You will yield much better gains than the ots map
I was actual saying to run a 80% 93oct with 20% e85 so less e85 than 93oct.. Would the difference be noticeable on a stage 1 tune or would I need to run the E30 OTS.. I guess what I'm saying is if you put an e85 mix into a non tuned car does it actually boost performance?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be good man
I was actual saying to run a 80% 93oct with 20% e85 so less e85 than 93oct.. Would the difference be noticeable on a stage 1 tune or would I need to run the E30 OTS.. I guess what I'm saying is if you put an e85 mix into a non tuned car does it actually boost performance?
E85 without a tune does really nothing more than clean up timing really. To notice a difference you would run the e30 OTS map

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0