BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
New Harmon Kardon reviews?

Can any of you guys that have a 2011 with the Harmon Kardon stereo give us a review? I have been looking forward to hearing some reviews on it. I really don't want to have to upgrade the stereo when I order my 135 but if the Harmon Kardon is not worth the $$$ I'll just upgrade the standard.
- Is there any difference between the new stereo and the previous years?
- How realistic is it to upgrade the standard stereo to better than Harmon for less than or equal the cost of the upgrade, including parts and install?

Thanks
Wade
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
JLoupis
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

I haven't heard the HK but I have a 2011 128i with the base system and I can tell you one thing. It BLOWS! I just came from a 2007 3 series with the base system and there is a world of difference. It's much better in the 3. If I would have known I deff would have upgraded when I ordered it.
The issue that would concern me would be that the head unit is tied into the computer. Changing that out might create a few issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
its alright nothing amazing
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

There's a guide somewhere which tells you how to set up the previous one for the best sound. Would this still apply to the HK on the 2011's?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it's largely just a name change, and the stereo is pretty much the same as the previous one. Is there any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
There's a guide somewhere which tells you how to set up the previous one for the best sound. Would this still apply to the HK on the 2011's?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it's largely just a name change, and the stereo is pretty much the same as the previous one. Is there any truth to this?
Where is this guide if you don't mind me asking?

If you can pm me the link that would be great thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

"Harman Kardon blows" is the proper way.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Dak Tirque
Private
Rep

Anyone else care to chime in?
I ordered a 2011 with HK, but test drove a 2008 and 2010 with standard stereo. Only really explored the 2010 stereo and was underwhelmed to say the least. That's why I opted for the "upgrade"....hope I am not too disappointed!
It would suck if the Monsoon stereo on my f'n Hyundai Santa Fe beats out the premium sound system on my new $40k+ fine german automobile
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

I have the HK on my 2011 135i. I did not have the chance to listen the base audio system for 1series. For the HK upgrade, I can describe the sound quality to be: it's very precise and accurate, reveals astonishing details of the music recording. I am an audiophile and primarily listen to classical music, so the HK system is good for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
I have the HK on my 2011 135i. I did not have the chance to listen the base audio system for 1series. For the HK upgrade, I can describe the sound quality to be: it's very precise and accurate, reveals astonishing details of the music recording. I am an audiophile and primarily listen to classical music, so the HK system is good for me.
Thats great to hear!
      04-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
1seriesfan
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i & 2006 330xi

Garage List
1967 Piper Cherokee  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 128i  [0.00]
'88 Corvette: 35th ...  [0.00]
I don't really have a "review", but I can say that the HK system in my 2011 ROCKS!

Life's too short! - No easy listening, country, or classical for me! My volume is usually set to max and the HK + iPod can handle things extremely well. Last fall we test drove a car with the base model and thought it was really fine, but it left me a little underwhelmed compared to what is in my '06 330xi. I'm not sure exactly what system is in the 'xi, but that one is awesome as well, and this HK with Logic 7 does equally as well.

Can't tell you price of the HK upgrade vs. an aftermarket upgrade, but I think it was definitely worth the extra $, without the hassle or possibility that something won't work due to the head being tied to the computer as someone mentioned.

Good luck making the decision, maybe you can find a car on the lot (or at a gathering) that has the HK so you can hear it?

Additional: I just looked at the amplifier in the compartment in the trunk in my 330xi. It says Logic 7 on the box so that answers that question, it's the same as in the new 128i. While I was there, I found a quarter way down in the bottom of the compartment! It must have been from the previous owner. You made it worth my time! LOL!

Last edited by 1seriesfan; 04-30-2010 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Dak Tirque
Private
Rep

Well, it seems that we have some decent reviews for the 2011 HK stereo. I, for one, don't care to have a system that announces my presence to all around me (I'd rather have the exhaust do that), but what I look for in a system is the ability to be "enveloped in sound".
Don't need thumping bass...just sufficient bass.
I look for enough volume without degradation of sound...and the clarity to hear all of the intricacies of the music.
I'll definitely put my two cents in when I get my baby delivered within the next month.
....nice to hear from another self proclaimed "audiophile"!!
I am soooo chomping at the bit for this car!!

Last edited by Dak Tirque; 04-30-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
wolfe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Tirque View Post
Well, it seems that we have some decent reviews for the 2011 HK stereo. I, for one, don't care to have a system that announces my presence to all around me (I'd rather have the exhaust do that), but what I look for in a system is the ability to be "enveloped in sound".
That's exactly how I'd describe the HK audio system in my e46. I don't know if the 1 is the same, but in my car you can turn it on and off independently of the stereo. When it's off, the sound seems like it's coming from the footwells. When you switch it on, it feels like it's coming from the center of the car and sounds 'thicker'. Hopefully the system in the 1 will be easily as good if not better.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

I have a late 2009 135i with the upgraded radio. I listened to both radios and it was easy for me. The upgraded radio provides a lot more detail and dynamics. The bass is also better, does go deeper, but still a little loose. I used to design loudspeakers and have received CES Design awards so I have a very trained ear. It might not be that big of a deal to others though as it is to me. I have not heard the new HK, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Can any of you guys that have a 2011 with the Harmon Kardon stereo give us a review? I have been looking forward to hearing some reviews on it. I really don't want to have to upgrade the stereo when I order my 135 but if the Harmon Kardon is not worth the $$$ I'll just upgrade the standard.
- Is there any difference between the new stereo and the previous years?
- How realistic is it to upgrade the standard stereo to better than Harmon for less than or equal the cost of the upgrade, including parts and install?

Thanks
Wade
I don't know if the 2011 HK has been changed from the previous models.
If it's the same, then it's "ok", but doesn't have enough volume for my tastes. It has very reproduction in terms of audio detail, and the system does have good definition and clarity, but only to a certain volume level. Beyond that, it fails.
If you like high speed driving with the windows down, then the overall volume is marginal. You'll still hear the music, but the overall definition gets lost in the roar of the wind. You'll then turn up the volume, and at that point you'll know that there just isn't enough power to hear the same level of clarity it had at lower volume levels with the windows up.

For me, that's disappointing, and shows the lack of proper amplification power. I've done audio systems in my cars and for friends and family.
Power IS necessary, not just to be loud and obnoxious, but to have enough power to turn it up and rock, while still maintaining good clarity at high speeds with the windows down, and even with the windows up when you just want to "rock it"!, with whatever music you are listening to. I like many kinds of music; jazz-smooth-bebop-freeform, rock, metal, alternative, classical, classical piano and guitar, electronic, hip-hop, etc...

Prior to 2011, the "base" system was the "mid level" world wide offering, which was 1 step below the top rated HK/logic 7.
I have this one in my 135i, and in comparison to the HK it has very good definition and good low depth, with just a bit less power.
In the previous years this mid-grade system was the better choice for someone not wanting to spend the outrageous upcharge for a system that didn't give much more clarity, just a bit more power that really isn't that much louder overall.

But, with the new 2011 base audio, this one really is "BASE" level.
It has 2 less very important drivers missing, namely the subs.
So, if you really want an audio system that approaches "acceptable" you'll have to splurge and pay the nearly $900 to get that, cause the new base system is a DISGRACE in a car costing this much money before an upcharge to get what should be the STANDARD included system. BMW stepped backwards in this area, and that just makes no damn sense what so ever. Hyundai base audio systems are better than this one. I just couldn't even believe that BMW would do this.
They now include the USB/iPod inputs, but they should have spent the money on just leaving the previous base system in the car, instead of upgrading the inputs and downgrading the base audio system.
Pure CRAP! BMW, you FAILED big time with this move.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I just feel jealous. One of year one has very crappy stereo.
      05-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
I just feel jealous. One of year one has very crappy stereo.
Apparently not as crappy as One of year four

Just out of curiosity, is there anything at all you like about your car? Every post I've seen from you is you complaining about it.

Looks like this may be a better place for you to spend time:

forums.mbworld.com
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

A good question, what do I like in my car? Actually I like that it didn't bring me any mechanical problem so far. I am surprising reading posts about different problems people have.
Reading mbworld, it is boring, people have zero problems so nothing to discuss.
      05-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #18
hppypaul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009, 135i Convertible

Some may hate the styling, but i just got a new Acura TL with awd and 6spd man
with 440 watt high end stereo tech pkg that rocks, and all for $20K less than a comparable 535xi. Not quite the same, but damn near good enough, and no headaches and diagnostics from the fatherland.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #19
wolfe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
But, with the new 2011 base audio, this one really is "BASE" level.
It has 2 less very important drivers missing, namely the subs.
So, if you really want an audio system that approaches "acceptable" you'll have to splurge and pay the nearly $900 to get that, cause the new base system is a DISGRACE in a car costing this much money before an upcharge to get what should be the STANDARD included system. BMW stepped backwards in this area, and that just makes no damn sense what so ever. Hyundai base audio systems are better than this one. I just couldn't even believe that BMW would do this.
They now include the USB/iPod inputs, but they should have spent the money on just leaving the previous base system in the car, instead of upgrading the inputs and downgrading the base audio system.
Pure CRAP! BMW, you FAILED big time with this move.
Wow, I had no idea the base stereo had been downgraded for 2011. That's a really bad move on BMW's part I agree. That makes perfect sense now since on the configurator it mentions the HK system adds subs below the seats, which I thought was odd at the time since they're standard on 2010 models (I think?). I wonder if this was a cost cutting measure to make room for the 'free' leather and ipod adapter?

Last edited by wolfe; 05-01-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

I mostly listen to the tailpipes.....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Wow, I had no idea the base stereo had been downgraded for 2011. That's a really bad move on BMW's part I agree. That makes perfect sense now since on the configurator it mentions the HK system adds subs below the seats, which I thought was odd at the time since they're standard on 2010 models (I think?). I wonder if this was a cost cutting measure to make room for the 'free' leather and ipod adapter?
The downgrade happened starting with the 2010 models.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
Dak Tirque
Private
Rep

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit confused...
....so, did BMW "devolve" the standard stereo by taking out the subs in 2010, and then call it the "premium stereo" by adding them back in? Is the new premium the old standard? Say it aint so..

Some good points by RPM90. You're right, even though I don't need a window rattling system, it would be nice to be able to hear the music clearly with the windows down! Go Bears...
Appreciate 0