BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #67
Chicago1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Great post.

I find myself hating everyone who has already taken delivery of their cars while I'm stuck looking at pictures and reading their fucking reviews. There. I said it.

:thumbup:

DITTO THAT!!
      04-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #68
kbimmer135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i (3/24/08-3/17/11)

Very nice post indeed and I couldn't agree more.

Everytime I get into the car, I just want to step on it. And when ppl are already going 80mph, I have the tendency to pass them up cuz at 80mph, I feel like i m going 65mph.

This car is trouble. I have a feeling I am going to get a ticket soon...

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #69
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

This thread, while honestly capturing the essence of the 135i, is also an example of hypocrisy at it's worst.

I do not mean anything personal against you here, LarryN, but as moderator, you have now banished any "street racing" threads or "kill stories". I think that is a good idea. When I started a thread that questioned the members about whether or not they were going to engage in any challenges on public roads, I was surprised to see all kinds of posts about "street racing"... at a level that I would never have expected, and something that I would never encourage.

THIS thread however truly encourages irresponsible driving... including "street racing", general speeding, being prepared to receiving traffic tickets, wreckless driving, and more.

Just read all the posts. They are there. They are here. They speak for themselves. It's all in black and white.

So, what's it going to be LarryN? Is your well-written and entertaining "Hooligan" thread ultimately promoting what you intended it to?

The 135i can be a lot more than a hooligan. It can be a menace and a killer if driven like it so easily begs to be driven... maybe like that guy in New Hampshire you referred to. He was speeding excessively, as I understand it.

Here is what you said:

I had a friend (good friend at the time) who got a 12 year sentence with no chance for parole for manslaughter, due to killing somebody behind the wheel of his car in a high speed crash in New Hampshire. I don't know if the punishment was nearly enough. If I were the victim's family, I would be convinced it was not nearly enough. He got out a few years ago...

May I suggest and ask that you take this opportunity to set the record straight here and be consistent? You are in a terrific position to influence a lot of people here. At this moment you are sending a mixed message. It doesn't have to stay that way. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I can't imagine that is your intention. Read all the posts. See if that is what you wanted to foster. You are a man of integrity, so let's all try to get on the same page here and take the high road together, shall we? Maybe save a life!!
Most Respectfully,
TagMan
      04-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #70
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Jesus man, it's just the internets. It's like you took it personally when your thread was moved. Just let it go...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #71
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
This thread, while honestly capturing the essence of the 135i, is also an example of hypocrisy at it's worst.

TagMan
I don't see the hyposcrisy. Most of the posts in this thread discuss "spirited driving" and not street racing. Big difference to me. Having another car present is distracting, forcing you to lose concentration and also to go beyond what you would otherwise do. It's easy to lose focus. This is a big deal.

Knowing absolutely nothing about driving a very fast car until now, these threads have been very eye opening for me. Made me realize the pitfalls and tradgedies of street racing. I really didn't know. I do now. I especially understand the importance of preparing ahead of time to resist the temptation. Sitting at a light next to another fast car is not the time to decide to avoid street racing.

I had a long conversation with my wife about this subject the other day. I like to joke around, and I think I was scaring her. These forum discussions became a big part of that conversation. I convinced her that there would be no illegal racing going on, ever. She felt a lot better after that. Actually, I did too.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #72
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Tagman,

I appreciate your opinion, but the two threads that you are comparing are very different. I did not zip thru cars in ths thread, nor did I race anybody, or do anything dangerous on a public street. This thread was anecdotal, meant to be fun, not a "kill story" or listing of a street race.

Sorry, if it has a tone that made you think it was a thread recommending a particular driving style. It was not intended that way. Seeing it was enjoyed by many people for what it was intended to be, I'd prefer not muddying it, or risk it needing to be closed.

Let's move along. Further posts will be deleted...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #73
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Very Very good read. I love it.

Are there ANY radar detectors that actually work????
I have never had one, BUT I think I will need one. It should be standard on the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #74
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Mergen, thank you for your well-written post. Your description of your heartfelt conversation with your wife indicates that you understand exactly what I'm talking about.

I appreciate your reply and perspective.
      04-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #75
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

I believe there is a thread on this. If not you should start one. I like the Valentine One product because it has a long range and is the only device that indicates with arrows the source direction of the radar... front, side, and rear. No guessing and looking aimlessly 360 degrees.
      04-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #76
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Ok, I am done with this car. It's maniacal. The little monster screams in your ear to drive faster and faster, and by the time you know it, you are in triple digits. "Go ahead squeeze the throttle more; take the next corner faster I can handle it," it says.

My heart is pounding, my knuckles are white, and I am constantly glancing in the rear mirror expecting blue and red light flashing.

I am signing up for http://www.chp11-99.org/index.htm as soon as possible
      04-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #77
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Ok, I am done with this car. It's maniacal. The little monster screams in your ear to drive faster and faster, and by the time you know it, you are in triple digits. "Go ahead squeeze the throttle more; take the next corner faster I can handle it," it says.

My heart is pounding, my knuckles are white, and I am constantly glancing in the rear mirror expecting blue and red light flashing.

I am signing up for http://www.chp11-99.org/index.htm as soon as possible
No way you are done with this car... you're as addicted to it as the rest of us. You are a 1addict!! :wink: