BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #89
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

I'm glad they got rid of that garbage. Definitely was not the look I was going for.

And after having this exhaust for about a month now, the volume has gotten a little more quiet, most of the drone is gone, but the sound has matured and sounds even better than ever.
      10-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #90
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Install Help! Please!

I just finished the install...here's the problems I ran into, HELP!!
1. the stock mid pipe hanger doesn't fit. The bolt has this tap and it will NOT go between the midpipes. I've tried to slide it in from a wider area, but the tap is preventing me from doing so. The gap between the pipes is just too narrow. And I think because the new midpipes are bigger than stock, the bolt is a tad too short to even reach the hanger mount. Anyone ran into this problem? If I do Not put that piece of "W" shape hanger and just have the bolt in, the tap clears (coz it can get past the narrowest part of the gap), maybe I need to dremal or some of the "W" shape hanger piece?
2. The tips does Not stick out like all the pictures I've seen here... it's flush with the bumper. But the car is Cold, maybe all the pic taken is when it has expanded??
3. The stock gasket, between dp and midpipe, one of them has a very thin piece (thinner than a piece of printer paper) flicked off... is this gonna cause problem?
4. The two bolts to bold the muffler to the mid pipe is Slightly Different, one has a "Chip" at the end, should it go on the Top hole or Bottom home? I've the "Chipped" one on top, I think that gives me a better "connection" between the midpipe and muffler.

Please help.

Picture will follow after I rest a bit and take a long shower...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #91
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^^^^
That sounds like a whole mess of fun. I wish I could help, but for one thing, I only got the axle-back, not the mid-pipes. Not sure what you got going on back there.

I also took my car to a shop to have someone else do it. I know my limits and this kind of project is the kind that I don't even consider doing myself. The guys that did my install had no problems with the axle-back. They said it was a perfect fit.

And the tips on my car are always in the same position as in the pics I took and posted, not flush with the diffuser. I have the stock diffuser though, so if you happen to have a CF performance diffuser, that may be what is causing the difference.

When comparing the BMW performance exhaust with stock vs. CF Performance diffusers, there is an obvious difference. The tips stick out much farther with the stock than with the CF.
      10-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #92
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I've stock diffuser, and when the car is cold it flush with the diffuser. I took it for a spin until the oil temp is near the middle (normal operation temp), I came back and check the tips, it sticks out a bit, barely showing the Meisterchaft name.
Also, I notice this rather old sound at the beginning. It sounds almost like, you know when "taunting" babies, you blow air thru your lips to make it vibrate... that sound... it got a bit quieter after a while. This noise only happen when I go off throttle... When I went out for a very late dinner, I can still barely hear it. not sure if there's a leak somewhere.
Also, this is my first aftermarket exhaust, so I don't know what new exhaust should Smell like. Mine smells like Weld. Is this normal? I only notice the smell when I'm at a stop. and of coz, my garage smells like that now after the car is parked there for a while.

I could have someone install it for me, but I kinda want to know if I can do it myself. it is rather simple job, just time consuming coz I'm doing it with jackstands and it's a one man job. These parts are heavy when you've to lift them while on your back.. good exercise tho :P

Also, I's doing the UUC DSSR mod as well.... that was the biggest PITA ever, I'll not ever do it again (even tho I might have to... I'll start another thread about that ordeal after I get some sleep)

Keep the comments coming, I want to figure this out. Thanks Much!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:44 AM   #93
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I can't say that I'm familiar with that noise you are trying to describe, but I don't think I have it whatever it is.

I believe that smell you are noticing is a coating on the exhaust burning off. I had it too for a couple hundred miles, then that new-exhaust smell will go away. It needs to break in just like lots of other car parts do.

Besides for the weird sound you mentioned, how do you like the new exhaust?
      10-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #94
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Apart from all the weird stuff, the exhaust sounds Awesome!
Much deeper tone than stock, much MUCH more aggressive when on the throttle. I can hear the exhaust with windows UP (stock ones all I can hear is the engine) I think there's some drone at ~3000rpm, but I've to verify it further, maybe find me an uphill stretch and hold it at 3000rpm. I did put that rubber cylinder thing from the stock muffler to the new one.

The midpipe seems to allow the turbo to work a bit faster, not dramatic but noticeable. I don't notice any HP gain yet, but I haven't got a chance to really open it up. Only did a couple of WOT (very short) pulls. Cops were EVERYWHERE last night...

Here's some Pics on the tips.
Notice on the side shots, almost can't see them. I'm sure something isn't right...

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #95
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I got some M8x50 and M8x65 bolts from a local Osh (they've the best selection of fastener that you can buy 2-3, unlike Home Depot which make you buy a crap load at a time), the Stock size is M8x49 for the Midpipe hanger. I thought it was the little tab on the stock bolt that prevent it from going thru between midpipes.. but the M8x50 won't reach either, thank god I decide to spend an extra 2.50 for the M8x65.. that fit perfectly.

Now the midpipe is secured but it didn't improve the tips. it is still flush with the diffuser.

Did anyone DIY this? Do you need to reuse the stock gasket ring for the connection between the midpipe and muffler? I thought the Meisterschaft already has a gasket ring on the muffler (or midpipe, can't remember). I didn't take off the stock gasket ring, maybe that's the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #96
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, all I can tell ya is I'm glad to hear that you like the sound. I wish I could help with the problems you are having, but I can't. I paid to have mine done and I'm glad I did - and that's just with the axle-back. Your problems are compounded with the mid-pipes. Something is not quite right though with your pipes being flush with the diffuser. Did you hang the muffler first or did you connect the muffler and mid-pipes together and then hang both as one piece?

I don't remember reading or seeing any DIYs for this exhaust system. Good luck there. Maybe you can start one and add what you feel comfortable with, then maybe others can fill in the blanks as necessary if they are able?
      10-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #97
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I just called GT Haus and they said with the mid pipe, the tips aren't suppose to stick out. Can anyone who did midpipe confirm this?

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this issue.....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #98
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I just called GT Haus and they said with the mid pipe, the tips aren't suppose to stick out. Can anyone who did midpipe confirm this?

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this issue.....
thats stupid, then who in their right minds in gonna spend $1000+ on a mid pipe thats gonna make the rest of the exhaust not fit right

i personally love the sound of this exhaust but i hate how the tips look sunken in like that, i plan on getting a BMW performance diffuser, so if i were to get this exhaust, you wont even be able to see the tips then

i call BS
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #99
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think that is crap too. I've seen pics and vids of the HP and the GT with the mid-pipes and they don't look like the pics you posted. They looked just like the pics I posted of my axle-back.

When I was shopping around for my exhaust, I called GTHaus to get their prices and ask a few questions. Now, a fellow owner of a Meisterschaft cat-back system referred me to a specific guy at GTHaus, said he'd hook me up. The day I called, the guy I requested to speak with was not in the office (vacation or something). So the guy who answered the phone asked if he could be of assistance. I don't know any other way to say it, this guy was an absolute idiot. I'm a novice when it comes to exhausts, but it was very evident from the short conversation I had with this guy that he knew absolutely nothing about which he was talking. The dude might be great at doing lots of things, but talking to people on the phone ain't one of them.

To make matters worse, he was quite confident about the wrong information he was telling me. I bring this up to suggest that it might be possible that whoever you talked to at GTHaus was this same guy that didn't know jack shit. Looking at your pictures, there is obviously something wrong. Maybe they were just trying to get rid of you and your problems since they already got your money? Maybe the guy you talked to on the phone had no idea what he was talking about? Keep asking questions until this is resolved.

I'm not trying to badmouth GTHaus either. I still respect the guy that told me to call them too. I love my exhaust, but I also did not purchase it straight from them (partly because of the price and partly because the guy on the phone would have been more helpful to me if he had simply never picked up the receiver and said hello).

I realize this does nothing to make your exhaust hang the way it should, but it might get your mind or someone else's mind thinking of a possible solution to the problem. There's got to be someone out there that can help you.
      10-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #100
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

maybe retrodrive can chime in on this issue...strange

you should post a video of the cat back akak!!! do you have the resonators?
      10-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #101
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Looks odd....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #102
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

He has not purchased the exhaust system from me or my company (Automotive Connoisseur Group / EXECstudio.com) but I have made some calls and sent some emails out. From what I am told, the situation has been resolved. I'll let akak1997 chrime in and tell what was up with that install.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #103
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
He has not purchased the exhaust system from me or my company (Automotive Connoisseur Group / EXECstudio.com) but I have made some calls and sent some emails out. From what I am told, the situation has been resolved. I'll let akak1997 chrime in and tell what was up with that install.
Hopefully its good news!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #104
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Peter. Another reason I'm glad I bought from you. Even though this issue was not your concern and you had nothing to gain from lifting so much as a finger, you did it anyway.

I gave your customer service high marks at iTrader and in that other thread, but I'll say it again. Thanks. I hope other people remember this next time they choose to shop.

Hope it all works out akak.
      10-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #105
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Yep, got a call from GT Haus just before lunch, and they suggest that I might have tighten the bolt between the muffler and midpipe a bit too much and I should loosen those bolts, pull the muffler out a bit before retighening those bolts again (not so much this time).

We also discuss the midpipe hanger bolt being too short, they said for their system, that hanger is not necessary because the midpipe is a straight pipe, no heavy cats need to be supported. Also, the stock bolt is not going to be long enough since the pipes are bigger now. So, you could either remove that hanger or, like me, go grab a M8-60mm bolt for it.

Unfortunately, I probably won't have time to redo the muffler until the weekends, I'll report back when I've try that option. It's probably just a installation issue, I think if I got it installed by pros, it should go w/o a hitch, but I just have the DIY itch
Thanks for the help guys.

I actually got a chance of really open it up today. WOT all the way thru 3rd, cut off when shifting to 4th. that experience is worth the $$ I paid twice over. IT sounds amazing, more like a V8 than a I6 for sure. Also, I notice the engine revs a bit easier on rev matched downshifts.. very noticeable on downshifting to 2nd..

One thing I did not expect is engine braking seems to be less abrupt... normally when I'm going around parking lot on 1st... engine braking could be quite harsh (i.e. when I suddenly lift throttle) it's been a bit smoother. I do not know how exhaust would help smoothing that out but that's what I feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #106
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
cool bro, hope that resolved your issue
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #107
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post
Thanks Peter. Another reason I'm glad I bought from you. Even though this issue was not your concern and you had nothing to gain from lifting so much as a finger, you did it anyway.

I gave your customer service high marks at iTrader and in that other thread, but I'll say it again. Thanks. I hope other people remember this next time they choose to shop.

Hope it all works out akak.

Thanks brother. Since I am Meisterschaft CA distributer, I am on the phone with them practically every day. Might as well help out a fellow member.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #108
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to see how the sound of the exhaust is now that most of you had broken it in. It should sound a little smoother.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #109
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
Yep, got a call from GT Haus just before lunch, and they suggest that I might have tighten the bolt between the muffler and midpipe a bit too much and I should loosen those bolts, pull the muffler out a bit before retighening those bolts again (not so much this time).

We also discuss the midpipe hanger bolt being too short, they said for their system, that hanger is not necessary because the midpipe is a straight pipe, no heavy cats need to be supported. Also, the stock bolt is not going to be long enough since the pipes are bigger now. So, you could either remove that hanger or, like me, go grab a M8-60mm bolt for it.

Unfortunately, I probably won't have time to redo the muffler until the weekends, I'll report back when I've try that option. It's probably just a installation issue, I think if I got it installed by pros, it should go w/o a hitch, but I just have the DIY itch
Thanks for the help guys.

I actually got a chance of really open it up today. WOT all the way thru 3rd, cut off when shifting to 4th. that experience is worth the $$ I paid twice over. IT sounds amazing, more like a V8 than a I6 for sure. Also, I notice the engine revs a bit easier on rev matched downshifts.. very noticeable on downshifting to 2nd..

One thing I did not expect is engine braking seems to be less abrupt... normally when I'm going around parking lot on 1st... engine braking could be quite harsh (i.e. when I suddenly lift throttle) it's been a bit smoother. I do not know how exhaust would help smoothing that out but that's what I feel.
did these issues get resolved?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #110
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to see how the sound of the exhaust is now that most of you had broken it in. It should sound a little smoother.
Now that mine is broken in, I would say it is a bit more quiet. The drone I mentioned earlier is gone, 100% gone. I guess you could say it does sound a little smoother. I think it sounds great. Very glad I went for it and I still get nothing but compliments.