BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1321
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Will there be a Access tuner race released ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #1322
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Has anyone tried running the stage 1 aggressive +intercooler tune on a stock car with factory intercooler?

Talked to cobb today and they said that the only problem they foresee is knocking in the engine and to use 100oct race fuel and you should be fine if I wanted to run the other tune. Not sure if anyone has done it or not or had any issues. Just curious of the outcome or if it is even a good idea... lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #1323
SSSnakeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Has anyone tried running the stage 1 aggressive +intercooler tune on a stock car with factory intercooler?

Talked to cobb today and they said that the only problem they foresee is knocking in the engine and to use 100oct race fuel and you should be fine if I wanted to run the other tune. Not sure if anyone has done it or not or had any issues. Just curious of the outcome or if it is even a good idea... lol
I've never tried the 1+ map but from what I've heard it's not a noticeable difference from the normal 1 maps. I guess what I'm saying is it might not be worth the effort.
If you are just looking to do a few 1/4 mile runs with race gas I think it would be fine though. I wouldn't have a problem doing it in my own car anyway as long as it wasn't really really hot out. You will have higher IATs through third gear, shouldn't be too big a deal for the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #1324
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnakeman View Post
I've never tried the 1+ map but from what I've heard it's not a noticeable difference from the normal 1 maps. I guess what I'm saying is it might not be worth the effort.
If you are just looking to do a few 1/4 mile runs with race gas I think it would be fine though. I wouldn't have a problem doing it in my own car anyway as long as it wasn't really really hot out. You will have higher IATs through third gear, shouldn't be too big a deal for the tune.
COBB told me that its more of an increase upgrading the intercooler than doing the downpipes...

Do you honestly think itll make that much of a performance increase at the cost/risk for race fuel and risking detonation? wouldnt the 100oct race fuel prevent the detonation and knock from the increased ignition from the tune becuase of the IAT being lower? If we are talking a 1/10 or 2/10ths from the 1/4 mile as being the only diff then Ill forget it. Not sure how much more power that tune really adds to the car when upgrading the intercooler. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #1325
SSSnakeman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
COBB told me that its more of an increase upgrading the intercooler than doing the downpipes...

Do you honestly think itll make that much of a performance increase at the cost/risk for race fuel and risking detonation? wouldnt the 100oct race fuel prevent the detonation and knock from the increased ignition from the tune becuase of the IAT being lower? If we are talking a 1/10 or 2/10ths from the 1/4 mile as being the only diff then Ill forget it. Not sure how much more power that tune really adds to the car when upgrading the intercooler. Thanks.
I don't think it's really worth the cost of the gas but I wouldn't have a problem doing a few runs like that if it wasn't really hot out and I just felt like trying it out for whatever reason. I think we are only talking 1 or 2/10ths though.

Stage 2 to 2+ was a big difference, maybe bigger than 1 to 2. I've always heard 1 to 1+ isn't very noticeable though. Hope that helps. I know that Cobb has said the the stock FMIC is a big limiting factor but it doesn't seem to add much at stage 1. IMO I think it is because stage 1 is so aggressive on the 93 map already but I don't want to get into an argument about that again.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #1326
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's really worth the cost of the gas but I wouldn't have a problem doing a few runs like that if it wasn't really hot out and I just felt like trying it out for whatever reason. I think we are only talking 1 or 2/10ths though.

Stage 2 to 2+ was a big difference, maybe bigger than 1 to 2. I've always heard 1 to 1+ isn't very noticeable though. Hope that helps. I know that Cobb has said the the stock FMIC is a big limiting factor but it doesn't seem to add much at stage 1. IMO I think it is because stage 1 is so aggressive on the 93 map already but I don't want to get into an argument about that again.
Hey, no argument here. I am just here to learn. =)

Do you think the stage 1 aggressive is TOO aggressive? I have heard others say (Other tuning shops) say the OTC map was too conservative and could get me more power and that cobb was going for safety.

Either way, I have had the stage one on my car for the last 3500 miles and not a hiccup, knock on wood, but I am still only on stage one aggressive with BMS DCI and I ended up cutting out the secondary cats and welding straight pipe in its place. One of my cats were partially clogged so either that really helped or the car just seems to run a lot better with them out of there.

I read about all these people on here blowing coil packs left and right and changing plugs all the time (mostly with the JB tunes) and am scared to upgrade the 135i any further... (even though I know I want at least another 100HP...)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #1327
SSSnakeman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey, no argument here. I am just here to learn. =)

Do you think the stage 1 aggressive is TOO aggressive? I have heard others say (Other tuning shops) say the OTC map was too conservative and could get me more power and that cobb was going for safety.

Either way, I have had the stage one on my car for the last 3500 miles and not a hiccup, knock on wood, but I am still only on stage one aggressive with BMS DCI and I ended up cutting out the secondary cats and welding straight pipe in its place. One of my cats were partially clogged so either that really helped or the car just seems to run a lot better with them out of there.

I read about all these people on here blowing coil packs left and right and changing plugs all the time (mostly with the JB tunes) and am scared to upgrade the 135i any further... (even though I know I want at least another 100HP...)
Me too man, I don't know that it's too aggressive. I just would still run a FMIC with it if I was staying at stage 1. Someone in another thread took opposition to that opinion. I ran stage 1 aggressive for a few months and didn't have any real problems, just heat soak and oil temps up to 255ish on really really hard driving. That was partly in winter though, at least the little bit of it we had this year in PA.
Now at stage 2+ aggressive I almost never see oil temps get to 250 and heat soak is much less of a problem and it's summer! I did have a misfire once at 35k miles and changed my plugs but I think that is a pretty normal interval. Also, I don't think it is that Cobb or JB tunes are causing those issues you mentioned so much as exposing them sooner because everything needs to be operating optimally for the tunes.
I would suggest going to 2+ as I am really happy with the car and tune and I think it runs better overall. Plus it's faster, not 100hp faster but pretty good nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #1328
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Me too man, I don't know that it's too aggressive. I just would still run a FMIC with it if I was staying at stage 1. Someone in another thread took opposition to that opinion. I ran stage 1 aggressive for a few months and didn't have any real problems, just heat soak and oil temps up to 255ish on really really hard driving. That was partly in winter though, at least the little bit of it we had this year in PA.
Now at stage 2+ aggressive I almost never see oil temps get to 250 and heat soak is much less of a problem and it's summer! I did have a misfire once at 35k miles and changed my plugs but I think that is a pretty normal interval. Also, I don't think it is that Cobb or JB tunes are causing those issues you mentioned so much as exposing them sooner because everything needs to be operating optimally for the tunes.
I would suggest going to 2+ as I am really happy with the car and tune and I think it runs better overall. Plus it's faster, not 100hp faster but pretty good nonetheless.
So just downpipes and an intercooler and I can use the stage 2 + tune, correct?

I really am out of the loud, racer boy mindset and would really like to keep it a quite car when just normally driving around town. Not feeling the catbacks or any exhaust for this car. Hmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #1329
SSSnakeman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So just downpipes and an intercooler and I can use the stage 2 + tune, correct?

I really am out of the loud, racer boy mindset and would really like to keep it a quite car when just normally driving around town. Not feeling the catbacks or any exhaust for this car. Hmmmm...
Yeah, and I still run the stock axleback. The DPs do offer some sound but it's pretty much just at WOT and during cold starts. If you drive the car normally it's not much of a difference. When you get on it it sounds great though. Maybe you can find someone local with that setup so you can check it out but I think it's pretty tame. There is also state inspection to consider if that will be an issue for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #1330
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, and I still run the stock axleback. The DPs do offer some sound but it's pretty much just at WOT and during cold starts. If you drive the car normally it's not much of a difference. When you get on it it sounds great though. Maybe you can find someone local with that setup so you can check it out but I think it's pretty tame. There is also state inspection to consider if that will be an issue for you.
I live in Florida. What the hell is a state inspection? LMFAO!

No one who is into cars, races them, or mods them, that I know or have seen, keeps the catalytic converters on their cars. Gotta love Florida!

I am the ONLY 135i car in at least 50 miles that I have even seen. I have not seen any where I live and only 128's. I live 2 blocks from a BMW dealer, too. I dont understand why there are not more 135's where I live. So that is out of the question. Must be the reason why everyone that sees my car ask me about it and the local car meets are always fun...

I live 2 hours north of Miami and 2 hours south of Orlando. There are a ton of modded 135's from both areas that I am not driving to just to hear exhuast. lmao. Ill take your word for it. If anything, My buddy owns a muffler shop and I can weld in a couple resonators to tame it down a little if I need to.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1331
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Any updates on the N55? It's summer! Was hoping it'd be out by summer time..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #1332
egainer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

i've had my n55 for two years now... not going to need cobb tuning by the time it finally comes out
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #1333
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
Any updates on the N55? It's summer! Was hoping it'd be out by summer time..
Now that ATR is released N55 support is probably next on the agenda. They've been working on it for a while, but they've had to spend most of their focus on the N54.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #1334
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Gas station next to my new house has 92 octane gas.... If I had to fill up while running 93 octane map on cobb stage 2, would there be damage?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #1335
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
Gas station next to my new house has 92 octane gas.... If I had to fill up while running 93 octane map on cobb stage 2, would there be damage?
No, there won't be any damage. You'll likely just experience some timing corrections.
Why not just flash over to the sport map when you have to run 92?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #1336
AZ_1Zeries
midnight modder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i cp 6MT

Idle boost stg2+FMIC sport

What are your boost readings at idle for stg2+? Mine is sitting at 8 psi even after warmup. Hope its not a leak.
COBB Race E30, CDV Mod, Pedal Stop Mod, KW V2, M3 control arms and 28mm Frt Sway, Helix FMIC, AR DPs, DCIs, ER Chargepipe/Tial BOV, Agency Power Mids, CPe axleback exhaust, BMS 4LED Angel Eyes, BMW Perf CF mirror caps, Bimmian Amber Delete, Alufegen SF71 Hankook Ventus[/FONT]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #1337
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1Zeries View Post
What are your boost readings at idle for stg2+? Mine is sitting at 8 psi even after warmup. Hope its not a leak.
Are you sure it's not - 8psi?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #1338
AZ_1Zeries
midnight modder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i cp 6MT

Yes -8psi is what I implied.. A friend of mine running jb4 has always had -18psi at idle after warmup. So, I thought mine was low with a possible leak. But, his gauge is a direct tap off of diverter valves where COBB reads off of DME. Thats what accounts for the difference. All's well!
COBB Race E30, CDV Mod, Pedal Stop Mod, KW V2, M3 control arms and 28mm Frt Sway, Helix FMIC, AR DPs, DCIs, ER Chargepipe/Tial BOV, Agency Power Mids, CPe axleback exhaust, BMS 4LED Angel Eyes, BMW Perf CF mirror caps, Bimmian Amber Delete, Alufegen SF71 Hankook Ventus[/FONT]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #1339
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1Zeries View Post
Yes -8psi is what I implied.. A friend of mine running jb4 has always had -18psi at idle after warmup. So, I thought mine was low with a possible leak. But, his gauge is a direct tap off of diverter valves where COBB reads off of DME. Thats what accounts for the difference. All's well!
Yeah, you're good
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #1340
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Is anyone running stage 2+ without a cat-back? I just noticed I will need one and really wasn't planning on getting a cat-back. I will have downpipe, intake, and ER intercooler soon is it absolutely mandatory I get a cat-back to run 2+?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #1341
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Is anyone running stage 2+ without a cat-back? I just noticed I will need one and really wasn't planning on getting a cat-back. I will have downpipe, intake, and ER intercooler soon is it absolutely mandatory I get a cat-back to run 2+?
I ran stage 2+fmic aggressive with just downpipes.

On the street, this setup is fine. If you're on the track doing excessive hard driving I'd just use stage 2 sport or whatever but for street driving with the odd pull between lights I had absolutely no issues with this and perfectly clean logs.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #1342
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

ok, serious questions here

1) do you know what knocking is?

2) why would you still ask if running this is a good idea after your tuner tells you it will cause the engine to knock?