BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Hey everyone, a couple weeks ago I installed the lux H8 180s on my 135i. It was relatively trouble free after the install with just an occasional adaptive headlight warning that would come and go. I figured it was just the ballast interfering with the mechanism but I didn't have time to fiddle with it until today. I finally got a day off and decided to poke around the headlight but first I went to the car wash and that's when everything went to shit. My passenger side headlight filled with condensation. I got the adaptive headlight warning. A little while later I got what I believe is the low beam warning light. The light inside the round adaptive portion of the headlight went out. I pulled off the cover and used a hair dryer to remove all the condensation. I then removed the lux and put the oem H8 back in. Now everything seems to be working okay except the bulb in the xenon comes and goes. Sometimes when I start the car it'll take a couple seconds for it to turn on. It'll flicker occasionally. It's not completely out as it's working half the time. Is this as simple as replacing that bulb or am I looking at a potentially much more expensive problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
The adaptive mechanics still works
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Not sure how to respond. Sounds like you did not allow for movement of the adaptive mechanism and probably did not reattach the cover properly allowing car wash spray to enter...so yeah...you're in trouble. Maybe a dealer could help troubleshoot the complexities of your current situation.

Good luck... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Reading stories like this is precisely why I haven't messed with my headlights.
Appreciate 3
      10-05-2017, 03:03 AM   #5
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Hey everyone, a couple weeks ago I installed the lux H8 180s on my 135i. It was relatively trouble free after the install with just an occasional adaptive headlight warning that would come and go. I figured it was just the ballast interfering with the mechanism but I didn't have time to fiddle with it until today. I finally got a day off and decided to poke around the headlight but first I went to the car wash and that's when everything went to shit. My passenger side headlight filled with condensation. I got the adaptive headlight warning. A little while later I got what I believe is the low beam warning light. The light inside the round adaptive portion of the headlight went out. I pulled off the cover and used a hair dryer to remove all the condensation. I then removed the lux and put the oem H8 back in. Now everything seems to be working okay except the bulb in the xenon comes and goes. Sometimes when I start the car it'll take a couple seconds for it to turn on. It'll flicker occasionally. It's not completely out as it's working half the time. Is this as simple as replacing that bulb or am I looking at a potentially much more expensive problem?
You probably at worst just need a headlight replacement. I had something similar happen to mine (335i with adaptive headlights). The seal around the cover went bad, so when I took it for a wash, condensation filled my bulb. My LUX halos would turn on but my main bulb would either flicker or just not light up. I resealed it properly and the headlight just worked like normal.

Maybe I got lucky...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Start with the cheapest option, which is the one also most likely to fail, the bulb. Dive in further after that if needed.

This is more common than you think. About half the owners who mess with the headlights have an issue, it's just too easy to think you've got it all back together properly when you actually don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Ballast and AHL module I believe, had to replace these two when I ran into the same issue. Was not able to dry out the headlight to make it work, but I'd guess you're just about done with those parts. Not ridiculous to replace, just have to remove the bumper to get the light out to access these parts, took me a half day. Also bought the parts used on eBay, so I spent about 150 or so.

Had the exact same issue, except my light went out, came on once, then went out for good. Would recommend replacing the cover, or pull the seal, flip it, and cover with petroleum jelly. You will also need to code the AHL module, otherwise you'll run into issues with it turning the opposite direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I put them in when I first got my car and got the warning. I read all the stories and I took them out and I'll never touch them again lol. Since then I have grown a love for the halogens
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Update: took out the lux and left the covers off for a couple hours and used a blow dryer to make sure there was more moisture. Taped in some silicon gel packets, put the oem bulbs back in. For a couple days it was still not working and I was about to fork over the money for a new headlight when all of a sudden one night it randomly started working. It's been working perfectly ever since. I lucked out!
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4178.00
      10-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This.

I don't hate the halogens halo enough to have a large percentage possibility of failure rate of improper installation. Also I had custom headlights on my old car and they were a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Update: took out the lux and left the covers off for a couple hours and used a blow dryer to make sure there was more moisture. Taped in some silicon gel packets, put the oem bulbs back in. For a couple days it was still not working and I was about to fork over the money for a new headlight when all of a sudden one night it randomly started working. It's been working perfectly ever since. I lucked out!
Glad you got this resolved! And thanks for the heads up on mine. They were properly sealed but nonetheless was worth just rechecking them!