BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

HID Bulbs flicker now - Installed aftermarket HIDs

128i- Just installed a set of Xentec aftermarket HIDs and they flicker at startup and sometimes go out. I have the coding for a missing bulb turned off, at least I believe I do with Carley. Also I think the approach lighting now turns off after I take the key out. I thought it used to stay on for 40secs, at least that's what I have it set to.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep

What am I missing
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:07 AM   #3
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

Are you using aftermarket wiring harness? Maybe it is not allowing the ballast to receive enough voltage.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:44 AM   #4
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradon View Post
Are you using aftermarket wiring harness? Maybe it is not allowing the ballast to receive enough voltage.
Everything is stock, just plugged in headlight ballast to oem connector. I think it has something to do with the FRM and needing coding but not sure what to do
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep

I searched high and low on this forum and didnt see much for my particular situation. Some people say CANBUS but i am not sure if thats if i cant code it out. I can, just need to know what to change.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys, Please help. I searched and searched. Maybe i should try capacitors or resistors? What i gathered from my search is i need to code the PWM but i am not sure what that is or what to change.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I've got a feeling something is up w/ Carly. I've had 90% good luck with it but on one occasion I too lost the approach lighting even though I didn't change that setting.

I basically restarted the procedure, restored the old files, made the changes again, and had to give it a little time (i.e. take a drive) and checked everything again after that. It was quite a while ago, I don't remember the exact steps, but that was the gist of it. Everything finally worked and has since

That's not much of a solution, but I will say that I too have Carly and I have had an instance where things got all goofed up. You might want to redo the process, it sounds like the same thing has happened to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I've got a feeling something is up w/ Carly. I've had 90% good luck with it but on one occasion I too lost the approach lighting even though I didn't change that setting.

I basically restarted the procedure, restored the old files, made the changes again, and had to give it a little time (i.e. take a drive) and checked everything again after that. It was quite a while ago, I don't remember the exact steps, but that was the gist of it. Everything finally worked and has since

That's not much of a solution, but I will say that I too have Carly and I have had an instance where things got all goofed up. You might want to redo the process, it sounds like the same thing has happened to you.
I will look into it, my bulbs seem to have the checks coded out still, i dont get a warning. The approach lighting i believe just started with the light change from halogen to HID. And my Carly no longer works, i am waiting for htem to send a new dongle. I am using NCS expert.

Ever heard of hte PWM needing to be changed to regulate the voltage?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
my bulbs seem to have the checks coded out still, i dont get a warning.
I remember mine being like this as well, it showed one thing but acted in a different way.

Also, some settings can interact with each other. You might have a setting turned on (or off), but another setting change over-rides it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
turbosl2
Private First Class
Rep

No doubt, I soldered in some capacitors and that seems to fix the problem. I tried resistors too but they were getting 525 degrees so I cut them out and stuck with the capacitors
Appreciate 0