BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Noise coming from either exhaust or brakes???

I thought I would mention a phenomenon that has occurred twice in my 1M. There seems to be a noticeable noise that comes from the rear of the car, a loud pinging/clanking noise. The first time this occurred was after a cold-start warm up while parked. It was hot that day, and I noticed that after I parked and came back to the car, when I started it the oil temp was still roughly 200 degrees, and it had been parked for over 2 hours. When I went to pull out of the parking spot, the car made clanking sounds, almost similar to a soda can being crushed. (And no, there was no soda can anywhere by the car)

The second instance was this morning while in traffic, the car in front of me came to an abrupt stop, and I had to brake harder than normal, but not stomp on the pedal. Once I came to a stop, and I proceeded to accelerate (as if the weight transfer caused it) the noise occurred again.

Any input?......

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

This would be a run to the dealership
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSchmooze View Post
I thought I would mention a phenomenon that has occurred twice in my 1M. There seems to be a noticeable noise that comes from the rear of the car, a loud pinging/clanking noise. The first time this occurred was after a cold-start warm up while parked. It was hot that day, and I noticed that after I parked and came back to the car, when I started it the oil temp was still roughly 200 degrees, and it had been parked for over 2 hours. When I went to pull out of the parking spot, the car made clanking sounds, almost similar to a soda can being crushed. (And no, there was no soda can anywhere by the car)

The second instance was this morning while in traffic, the car in front of me came to an abrupt stop, and I had to brake harder than normal, but not stomp on the pedal. Once I came to a stop, and I proceeded to accelerate (as if the weight transfer caused it) the noise occurred again.

Any input?......

Me too something to watch.

holly
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Not sure if the 1M comes with the flap that opens in the exhaust? if it does thats the noise i never knew what it was until that happened to me in my 135.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC 135i View Post
Not sure if the 1M comes with the flap that opens in the exhaust? if it does thats the noise i never knew what it was until that happened to me in my 135.
Interesting-- do you know what the flap does?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Plautos
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think my car have the same noise you is talking about... I can rear it at the left rear wheel... I think it is the parking brake.

It happens when the car is moved foward and reverse.

How did you fix it?
Appreciate 0