BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Indicator stalk sides...

Hiya, am about to head out for some culture and was wondering this morning whilst out driving, does anyone know why the indicator stalk is on the left on European cars, yet on the right for Australian cars?

My Pommy friends insist that the left is the "right" side, but I am curious as to why it is so (in best Julius Sumner Millar <sp> voice).

Ideas?

Bah, opera (the Bochelli <sp again> dude)...
      08-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
shauno
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Hiya, am about to head out for some culture and was wondering this morning whilst out driving, does anyone know why the indicator stalk is on the left on European cars, yet on the right for Australian cars?

My Pommy friends insist that the left is the "right" side, but I am curious as to why it is so (in best Julius Sumner Millar <sp> voice).

Ideas?

Bah, opera (the Bochelli <sp again> dude)...

Yep on Euro imports its because the steering column is designed for the European left hand drive market and they don't bother re tooling it for the right hand drive market.

For aussie built cars such as falcons they build it on the right hand side an exact mirror to Euro cars ie both of them are on the side next to the drivers door
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Hang on a minute, cars designed for the UK market (right hand drive) that has the indicator on the left. This is a good question. I actually prefer the indicator on the right so I can keep my hand on the gear if I want.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

At the risk of starting a fight, I think the indicator on the left is heaps more convenient.... means your right hand can alwasy be focussed on the wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
The convention for the "proper" side the indicator stalk should be is the side closest to the driver's door. But as mentioned car companies don't bother moving it for right hand drive markets. After all there would be more LHD cars made than RHD cars.

Interestingly back when Benz over engineered their cars, the indicator stalk was moved to the "correct" side on RHD cars, as per the case in my old 420SEL.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
The convention for the "proper" side the indicator stalk should be is the side closest to the driver's door. But as mentioned car companies don't bother moving it for right hand drive markets. After all there would be more LHD cars made than RHD cars.

Interestingly back when Benz over engineered their cars, the indicator stalk was moved to the "correct" side on RHD cars, as per the case in my old 420SEL.
^^ +1
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
135man
Rep
Drives:

I don't understand why they don't convert it. Other car manufacturers swap it around - it just seems lazy to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135man View Post
I don't understand why they don't convert it. Other car manufacturers swap it around - it just seems lazy to me.
Most Euro car manufacturers don't. It's not laziness, it's costs a lot to retool to get the thing swapped around... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Thanks all, I'd forgotten that the UK was the 'odd one out' and that the rest of Europe was 'right' (or 'left').

Question answered. I'll just have to look like a wally now and then when I wipe the windscreen over summer.
      09-02-2008, 05:45 AM   #10
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Question answered. I'll just have to look like a wally now and then when I wipe the windscreen over summer.
Set it on Auto?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

With Bimmers you need to manually turn on the auto wipers each time the car starts. Not like most other rain sensing wipers that you can leave permanently on.
      09-02-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Doesn't seem to matter which side it's on, most drivers have no idea it's even there...

Oh, you want this lane now?!
When are you leaving the roundabout?
Whoa! Why are you breaking?!! Oh, you're turning left...

ASSHOLE!!
      09-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
With Bimmers you need to manually turn on the auto wipers each time the car starts. Not like most other rain sensing wipers that you can leave permanently on.
Really? How quaint!:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey View Post
Really? How quaint!:biggrin:
gaah! Really? Useless. What part of auto don't they understand? Our Mazda can manage to be always in auto mode.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #15
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

The non-auto on mode on startup was originally meant to be something about protecting themselves from lawsuits, as most systems need to do a calibration wipe to really work properly. Probably also saves the wipers always having to drag across a dry windscreen. And considering what they cost to replace....not a bad thing! Especially screen the rain sensing wipers are total crap when the top part of the wiper becomes scratched.
      09-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
135man
Rep
Drives:

Interesting... in the BMW configuration tool (for 135i) it shows the preview of the steering wheel with indicator stalk on the right side. That's why I originally thought it was the right side.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
they prob got lazy and simply mirrored the pics?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
bluRider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
Doesn't seem to matter which side it's on, most drivers have no idea it's even there...

Oh, you want this lane now?!
When are you leaving the roundabout?
Whoa! Why are you breaking?!! Oh, you're turning left...

ASSHOLE!!
too true ... unfortunately ...
      09-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Another interesting thread guys :smile:

1st off, I agree with Alext, ie: IMHO the indicator stalk should be on the right side for RHD cars !!!

Now this is something I'm very familiar with since I own 2 German built Opels (well one is put together by Bertone) and both of those have the indicator stalk on the left...and I absolutely hate it

It took me ages to get used to it and everytime I hop into one of my many other vehicles, I invariably turn on the wipers or vice versa until I re-adjust, damn nuisance !!!

However the latest models from Opel (Astras, Vectras etc.) actually have the indicator stalks revised for the RHD production cars, ie: indicator stalk on the right hand side !!!

So why then can't a 'higher end' German manufacturer like BMW do the same :iono: their cars after all are a hell of alot more expensive, I believe the tooling costs would be more than covered by the product end market pricing !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
135man
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
So why then can't a 'higher end' German manufacturer like BMW do the same :iono: their cars after all are a hell of alot more expensive, I believe the tooling costs would be more than covered by the product end market pricing !!!
We seem to agree on a lot. The first car I drove with indicator stalk on the left hand side of the wheel was a Vectra. At the time I thought 'how lazy, why not change it'. But to see BMW doing it doesn't make much sense - I mean, they convert EVERYTHING else around except that. I thought BMW were real perfectionists with their cars. That's another reason to got for a GT-R :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #21
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Because I have pretty much ever only owned Euro cars (with one Japanese car), I don't understand the big deal of left hand stalk. Can someone explain to me why a right hand stalk is better for RHD cars? Sorry if I am just a bit slow on this one lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #22
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Because I have pretty much ever only owned Euro cars (with one Japanese car), I don't understand the big deal of left hand stalk. Can someone explain to me why a right hand stalk is better for RHD cars? Sorry if I am just a bit slow on this one lol.
I'm with you on that one Way.
I think it is to do with having a free hand to change gears and the other to indicate?

My friend had previously expressed this preference for a Right hand stalk as he can steer and indicate with the same hand as well as changing gears with the left
Appreciate 0