BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

I have a size 7.5 hand but I rather have an expert to do it. I don't have hours to spend recently.
      06-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #24
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I watched Andrew install my GP Thunders previously. Haha, glad it was him and not me!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Bulbs turned up today. The "split' seperates when they screw in to align the LED's with the light guides. Quite an ingenious design actually.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

**EDIT: This is an extract of an article I got emailed from a supplier. The tester is RDash themselves.**

Able to get a local supplier over the weekend and I just realise there may be fake RDash units out there!

Genuine Fake
Color Temperature 7000K 7000K
Temperature (5 min) 96.3 C
Temperature (1hr) 76.2 C 115.8 C
Temperature (2hr) 82.3 C(max) 116.4 C (maximum)
Brightness
Genuine = Stable. No significant brightness change during test.
Fake = 2 hrs later LED became brown, brightness dropped to less than half brightness compared to the initial brightness

Below are the pictures of REPLICA taken during test.

This is the product picture (rectangular solid shape ballasts)

This is the temperature changes during test.
(5 minutes after light up) – temperature increased rapidly (96.3 C)

Initial brightness:

(2 hour later) – 116.4℃

Brightness after 2 hours test: Brightness dropped to less than half brightness compared to the initial brightness. Color temperature became light amber.

The left LED was being tested for 2 hrs, the LED chip became brown.

I am very close to order RDash from eBay. Anyhow, I am still not sure about RDash in general after reading comments in US - but you never know they may have the replica model. Since both RDash and fake are from Taiwan/China mainland respectively, they have no where to tell.

I am willing to be a guinea pig to ensure I got the RDash from Melbourne and see if it is really not as bright as the halogen alterative. I think I am wasting money but hey.... I am willing to have a gamble at this point.

Last edited by takahashi; 07-13-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #27
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

I'll put mine in tonight (picking up the car this afternoon) and let you know how they look, and take pics....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #28
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

MickyD,

Could you take a good pic of the unit before installing? Thanks.
      07-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #29
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

mine definately have the cylindrical 'ballast', and all the packaging looks legit. I put one in for a test run earlier - they look AWESOME - but I don't have any cable ties to secure the 'ballast' thingy (which in reality is just a resistor...)
I'll do them on the weekend and take lots of pics.
I'm pretty confident mine are genuine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #30
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Umm...did you remove the headlight unit to install? You do know you can install by removing the rear cover? The drivers side isn't easy, but easier than removing the whole unit

I'm sure you did it on purpose though
      07-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #31
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
mine definately have the cylindrical 'ballast', and all the packaging looks legit. I put one in for a test run earlier - they look AWESOME - but I don't have any cable ties to secure the 'ballast' thingy (which in reality is just a resistor...)
I'll do them on the weekend and take lots of pics.
I'm pretty confident mine are genuine.
Cool. Sounds like you are happy with it. I was told that nothing is ever as bright as the yellow fugly bulb though
I am doing it on Thursday and update it on my TAKA-1 thread. I may beat you to that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Umm...did you remove the headlight unit to install? You do know you can install by removing the rear cover? The drivers side isn't easy, but easier than removing the whole unit

I'm sure you did it on purpose though
I did not do it... It is an article I got email from RDash dealer here (out in the Dande area). I just want to share so people will not buy a "possible" non genuine products out there. I hope I want people there is a copy of a Chinese Taipei product... for me it is like ... why?

The Chinese used to copy Japanese product and we understand because of the price difference.. I think there are thugs outthere ripping the Jap AV movies . But doing a copy on a Chinese product - it is rare, and has taken me by surprise that is all.

Having said that there are lots of LCD TV outthere are "genuinely" made by Chinese... since there are a lot of TV makers have factory in China. People just use part of the component mixed with some other parts to make a TV and sell it as a fraction of a cost. You can get a 100Hz 46" Full HD LCD TV in China for less than $1000AUD.
      07-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #32
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

put them in tonight, used double sided tape to hold the 'ballast' in place on the back cover of the lights. The match the xenon's well, probably about 85-90% of the brightness of the halogens. They're not as blue as they look in the attached photo (if they were they'd be coming straight out...)

Where they worth the ~$152? debatable... will I leave them in there? most likely, though they are touch and go with being a bit 'ricey' for my liking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #33
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Nice I just installed mine as well. They are very different in colour and it is a softer light and hard to judge its 'brightness' unless being measure. You are right, it looks like 80% of the stock yellow ones. It will be very similar to the white halogen you get out there.

White LED has been on this ring for many cars. It seems to be popular among BMW owners. It is making more like a factory upgrade.
      07-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #34
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Hmmmm... those look exactly like the EFX kit that are failing quite a bit.