BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

What are control arms?

Just out of interest, what are the M3 control arms, would they give any improvement in handling on their own over stock?
Just interested to know a bit about them..

Cheers

Last edited by janus77; 06-08-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Control armFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Double Wishbone SuspensionIn automotive suspension, a car wishbone is a nearly flat and roughly triangular member (or sub-frame), that pivots in two places. The broad end of the triangle attaches at the frame and pivots on a bushing. The narrow end attaches to the steering knuckle and pivots on a ball joint.

Two such devices per wheel make up double wishbone suspension, while one control arm per wheel makes up a part, usually the lower part, of MacPherson strut suspension or of various other configurations.

[edit] ReferencesCar suspension at Howstuffworks.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks, had wiki'd it already, not sure how the M3 control arm is superior to the regular 1'er, and what benefits it might give..
      06-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
Just out of interest, what are the M3 control arms, would they give any improvement in handling on their own over stock?
The short answer is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
Just interested to know a bit about them..
The M3 wishbone and tension struts will change the handling of your car in (what's generally considered) a good way, by improving steering feedback to the driver and handling through the different design of the units and the introduction of increased negative camber. I've read the E9x control arms introduce camber at about -0.75, if you want more you'd likely need camber plates.

If you can, try to find someone in Sydney who's car specs are close to yours with the modification done, and see if the owner will let you try it out to feel the difference.

If you're tracking your car at a Club level from time to time, it's a good mod for the money. Sway bars are also worth looking into and if you're feeling like treating yourself get some springs and shocks done too

Hope this helped mate.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers, yes thanks, so basically they'll increase the neg camber, giving you better traction in the corners, but potentially a little more squiggly on the straights, and may increase tyre wear a little?
I've got sways, but wondered if it might tighten up how quickly the car settles after changes in direction, however probably that's the point where coil overs are needed.
      06-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

The most significant change would be to just get coilovers. Things like sway bars, control arms and strut braces can be changed after that to give marginal gains.

IIRC on stock everything you can give a max of -2 degree camber just with wheel alignment, more than that camber plates are required.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
madmaxhk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
The most significant change would be to just get coilovers. Things like sway bars, control arms and strut braces can be changed after that to give marginal gains.

IIRC on stock everything you can give a max of -2 degree camber just with wheel alignment, more than that camber plates are required.
Coilover and sway bar will give you firmer ride, less body roll, better control of car, but Only M3 control arm will give you sharper, better and more precise steering feel. Due to the M3 control arm has stiffer bushing than the stock one.
I highly recommend you get the M3 wishbone together with the control arm.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
everyone is missing this part... they 'control' the suspension/wheel movement in an up and down direction, and keep the geometry in check.

the M3 control arms are slightly longer, pushing the bottoms of the wheels out, thus giving you -0.75 deg camber.
      06-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

They also have stiffer bushing so you have less deflection under hard cornering which helps the steering geometry remain more accurate and planted. Also helps with the feedback you get in the steering wheel.
      06-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Biasasaja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 LCI

all i can say is they are freaking awesome, ive had them installed a couple of days ago in my car and its just soooo sweet to corner, feels liek a proper m car (also had quaife installed)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Where can I purchase M3 control arms? Dealer?

Are M3 control arms recommended for both front and rear or front only?

I found this, but it's aftermarket and for the rears only.

http://www.**********s.com/Rogue-Engineering-E9X-M3-Rear-Control-Arms.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia000 View Post

I found this, but it's aftermarket and for the rears only.

http://www.**********s.com/Rogue-Eng...ntrol-Arms.htm
Dealer is an option but I'd go through the parts departments of Dan@UnitedBMW or Tischer BMW... also, Harold@HPAutowerks is our forums goto suspension guy, I haven't dealt with him personally, but I think ALOT of people would highly recommend him. I think Turner Motorsports also carries the parts... but as far as I know, they don't sponsor the forums.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got mine from HPA...they have the best prices on the fronts for sure.
      06-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I got mine from HPA...they have the best prices on the fronts for sure.
Harold seems like a great guy and he's very involved with our community. You'd have technical support if you needed it. But HPA doesn't have the best prices on the fronts (or rears for that matter). It also appears that he is back-ordered on them from his website, although it might be worth giving him a call to check status/price. Dan @ United is also great, heavily involved here, and I have personally had great support from him. Tischer seems like the least involved with the community (don't get me wrong here - they're still pretty involved and Evan posts when needed), although they generally have the best prices from my research. Buy from any of these three and you're supporting the enthusiast community.

Last edited by Xaeryan; 06-09-2011 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia000 View Post

All the M3 suspension parts are recommended, but afaik everyone says the front control arms and rear subframe bushings are the best bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Harold seems like a great guy and he's very involved with our community. You'd have technical support if you needed it. But HPA doesn't have the best prices on the fronts (or rears for that matter). It also appears that he is back-ordered on them from his website, although it might be worth giving him a call to check status/price. Dan @ United is also great, heavily involved here, and I have personally had great support from him. Tischer seems like the least involved with the community (don't get me wrong here - they're still pretty involved and Evan posts when needed), although they generally have the best prices from my research.
I talked to Dan at united just this past week...said he couldn't match HPA's prices for the full front set...
      06-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I talked to Dan at united just this past week...said he couldn't match HPA's prices for the full front set...
So that leaves one more to check that I listed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
Oofie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 FR-S

How difficult is the install for the M3 control arms?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Lets steal this thread for a bit...

Been searching for a while, but still didn't find the exact answer. Are control arms, wishbone and tension rod 3 different thing?

Changing 135i OE control arms bushing will not give you the -0.75 camber? Or am I messing up my info?

What does the tension rods do?

Thanks!

Kcc
      06-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If i'm not mistaken I believe a tension rod can be another name for a sway bar...

Depending on the kind of suspension setup you could have control arms and wishbones or one or the other. They're all different parts and generally are not interchangeable with each other.
      06-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oofie View Post
How difficult is the install for the M3 control arms?
Not hard for the fronts - one (big) nut per arm/rod at the hub carrier, one (big) bolt per arm/rod at the front sub-frame. Can be accessed with the wheel off; tension rod is easiest with the under-tray off as well. The primary issue I ran into was the lower control arm fit was very snug at the sub-frame, and required a bit of cleaning up with an emery cloth/light file at the sub-frame before I could stuff it into place. It'll become apparent what I mean if you run into the same issue; easily resolved. The tension rod went in smooth though.
The other issue I recall is that the washers on the nuts are special lock washers with raised tabs (for a lack of a better description) that cannot spin. The tabs fold over the nut to also prevent it from spinning. The tabs are easy to break - I ended up breaking mine, but I'm not worried since I followed torque specs and rechecked it after a bit of usage.

EDIT: You will need an alignment after installing the control arms, as it throws the toe way off (in).

Last edited by Xaeryan; 06-10-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Lets steal this thread for a bit...

Been searching for a while, but still didn't find the exact answer. Are control arms, wishbone and tension rod 3 different thing?

Changing 135i OE control arms bushing will not give you the -0.75 camber? Or am I messing up my info?

What does the tension rods do?

Thanks!

Kcc
The upper arm is also called tension rod. The lower arm is sometimes called lower wishbone. Both arms together = front control arms.

The lower arm, or wishbone, is the one that adds camber; it also adds firmness and feel. The upper arm adds a lot of firmness and feel.

The Dinan High Performance Bushings kit that started all this includes the M3 upper front arms and M3 rear subframe bushings. http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D280-0...shing-Kit.aspx

edit: I see the Dinan ad says "front lower control arms". Well, what do I know? I had this stuff installed by a shop and am just repeating what I've read. Maybe someone else can correct if I got that wrong.

If you replace the bushings that are in the stock wishbones, you will add firmness and feel but not camber.

Upper: http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=237

Lower: http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=237

Both: http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=237f

Last edited by GaryS; 06-11-2011 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0