BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
CACTUS1549
That Sedona Red blur that just passed you...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe - Sedona & MODS

Exclamation 128i EMP burst!

Just kidding! No James Bond mods yet... More like I feel like I have been hit by one. So, yesterday leaving work I drove about 15 feet out of my parking space and my cluster lit up like an explosion. Amber ABS, BRAKE, and the wheel slip indicator triangle stayed illuminated. Also the center square that houses the time and temp display is Amber ABS and will cycle to service triangles on startup. I actually work at a dealer so I pulled back in and started up my computer and put my key into the key reader. I threw 4 CC Codes. Most notably 00024 ABS system fail. I also got "Chassis stabilization system fail". The other two are just minor related error codes to the ABS or DTC. I was so sad. I know it could be 3 things: computer glitch (I have gotten the amber BRAKE light before, but it reset itself after a few miles); a bad wheel speed sensor ~$30 part; or SZL sensor (don't want to think about the cost) up into 1k. So I drove it home about 15 miles, waited about 30 minutes and went back and disconnected the battery cable for about 2 minutes in hopes to remove the code to see if it throws again. Also, I failed to mention I have the P3cars vent gauge, and have attempted to use the clear codes feature but the codes are persistent.

After the battery disconnect and reconnect, I tried clearing codes one more time in ignition (not started) to no avail. After startup the codes stayed illuminated. The disconnect was sufficient because I had to reset the clock.

About an hour later I drove off and about 1/10th of a mile down, all three lights extinguished to leave a clear cluster. I thought the problem was solved all day today, until about 2 hours ago (after driving ~30 miles today) they all illuminated right after startup and driving 15 feet again. I have driven her another 10 miles and tried the clear codes a couple times again, and when I just parked her in the garage she still had the codes on. Maybe when I startup and drive in the morning they will extinguish... I will update tomorrow.

Just wanted to hear everyone's experience with this situation. I haven't seen it at the dealership yet. (I really wish I had nothing to do at work, that way I know everyone's bimmers are running perfectly).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

My first reaction was....you work at a BMW dealer and you're asking a forum for help Sorry, and thankfully, no experience with that group of symptoms but wheel sensor would be my first guess as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
ABS failure. I can say this, first time of hearing on a e82 but not the first time I hear it for BMW.

From what I know about BMW's and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't to much. But I do know this, ABS failure is a common occurrence in BMW's.

I great example is in e39's. ~80,000 mils the ABS module decides to fail because of all the extra heat the is created in the engine bay and the only course is to replace it and code it to the car.

This may not have been documented for e82 because our cars are still fairly new. Only time will tell if this will be a common problem that needs to be addressed for our chassis.

BTW how man miles do you have on your car?
      07-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
CACTUS1549
United_States
Rep

umm... it's funny you should say around ~80k... I have 85k
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
CACTUS1549
United_States
Rep

Had one of my tech friends at work yesterday hook her up to the diag machine... The exact faults were DSC unit failure, DSC connector failure. The troubleshoot seemed to suggest it could possibly be a fuse, however he almost guaranteed me it was the DSC unit. I was like "ok, let me see the part cost" (I'm so ignorant and lost to the world at this moment). I searched the part number... ~$2700..............

He said the same unit was used on the 3ers that had the issue with this as stated earlier.

I believe that since my 1er is an '08 and has ~85k, it will most likely be a common issue on the 1er, I am just getting it first.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

sorry to hear that ...and knock on wood!
Appreciate 0