BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #1277
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
well the good news is that it will be complete swap in the front. just remove and replace. should only take two hours. rear will be interesting as I have never removed a rear shock. I will install in time for september auto-x's.

My pops will be up for the NCR/CCA back to back weekend.
Sweet! I'm taking a dremel to my upper spring perch, where it rubs the stud from the camber plate. I think that's the noise issue. I called Vorschlag to let them know that I know of four locals that have this issue. They were under the impression that the newer aluminum backing plate version (red anodized) were not a problem... I corrected them.

Andy, I'm going to futz with the stock and H&R springs to see what I can do to not jerry rig the height, when I put the Konis in tomorrow.

Btw, the back is pretty much set-it-and-forget-it. I'm not worried about the adjustability aspects of the rear shock. Dropping the rear LCA versus taking out the trunk liner.. it's a wash, as far as labor to adjust.

My question to you is that are you getting smaller front tires? I don't think the 255's will work with the ~-2deg of the Dinan camber plates.

Lastly, I hear ya about the A>B class thing. I want to try to run without a tune for one event this year, to see the difference it really makes. I'm thinking with my suspension changes that I'm doing this Friday, that I have a little bit more of a momentum car than a point n shoot car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #1278
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Sweet! I'm taking a dremel to my upper spring perch, where it rubs the stud from the camber plate. I think that's the noise issue. I called Vorschlag to let them know that I know of four locals that have this issue. They were under the impression that the newer aluminum backing plate version (red anodized) were not a problem... I corrected them.

Andy, I'm going to futz with the stock and H&R springs to see what I can do to not jerry rig the height, when I put the Konis in tomorrow.

Btw, the back is pretty much set-it-and-forget-it. I'm not worried about the adjustability aspects of the rear shock. Dropping the rear LCA versus taking out the trunk liner.. it's a wash, as far as labor to adjust.

My question to you is that are you getting smaller front tires? I don't think the 255's will work with the ~-2deg of the Dinan camber plates.

Lastly, I hear ya about the A>B class thing. I want to try to run without a tune for one event this year, to see the difference it really makes. I'm thinking with my suspension changes that I'm doing this Friday, that I have a little bit more of a momentum car than a point n shoot car.

I actually ran a 235 front tire last event. I am hoping that I wont have to go 225 because I do have the dinan plates and M3 LCA's. If I have to go to 225's I will be selling 235's 275's and the wheels and put the 225's or maybe 235's and 255's on the performance wheels. I am glad you corrected vorshlag. Maybe I can ask for a refund for shitty engineering. I am going to do what ML has done to make rear adjustability easy. My JB3 is removed and is for sale. I love the smoothness of stock in 1st gear. With my new fuel pump it is pretty zippy too. Have you ever changed a rear shock mount? I am sure once I get in there it will be easy but you never know. I am excited to get back to loving my car instead of loving to hate it.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #1279
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:

sounds like you're gonna have it all up and running for the sunday AX, right? stoked to check it out!

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #1280
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever changed a rear shock mount? I am sure once I get in there it will be easy but you never know.
Yes, on my old E90. VERY easy. The trunk liner is the bitch, the rest is not.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #1281
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by and 1 View Post
sounds like you're gonna have it all up and running for the sunday AX, right? stoked to check it out!
Unless I get something drastically gone wrong.. Yep!

Btw, I'm very bummed that Andy spent his way to this decision.... but glad that he's getting it the way he wants it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #1282
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

well I see it this way...

1000 for shocks
100 for rear shock mounts
50 for shorter bumps stops (tried to part some out for 25$ a piece)
350 for springs

you can piece together a very similar setup for less, probably 400 less(save 300 on shocks and 100 on springs). But, If I am happy after its installed then It will not bother me one bit.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #1283
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
dammit you guys are killing me! i have the money and i wanna hook the car up more, but i know i really "shouldn't" right now

and the thing is, i could def go for adjustable camber plates especially cuz they're pretty cheap and make such a difference in the handling, but i've heard everyone say they had trouble with them in some way or another. and iirc the dinans are fixed, right? i'm not so sure about running 2 degrees day in and day out...

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #1284
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
dammit you guys are killing me! i have the money and i wanna hook the car up more, but i know i really "shouldn't" right now

and the thing is, i could def go for adjustable camber plates especially cuz they're pretty cheap and make such a difference in the handling, but i've heard everyone say they had trouble with them in some way or another. and iirc the dinans are fixed, right? i'm not so sure about running 2 degrees day in and day out...
They are fixed, but they only add a maximum of .7 degrees. you still have the stock adjustment to decrease the camber. I expect to have to have a min of .75 and max of 1.5 degrees (I had 2.5 with vorshlag). we will see.

Last edited by arrutled; 08-19-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #1285
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

spring pads and protection tube will ship monday. suspension is already on the way. Installation SHOULD be next weekend. anyone want beer/food to help and learn???

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #1286
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

anyone wanna guess what happens when you try to remove a liquid backed pressure gauge with 90 lb steam pressure behind it?

I know your thinking I am stupid enough to do that, but I was just a witness.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #1287
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Andy, all noises are gone from m y suspension. I took pics of the upper shock mounts where it was obviously rubbing (making noise). My gouging was not as pronounced as yours, but it was still there.

Forwarding to Vorschlag. Their newer design still has definitive issues. I dremeled down the area, and no peculiar noises anymore. Plus, the car rides sooo much better. Even hard hits are nowhere near as much of a booming experience.

Oh.. you'll need to remove the entire trunk liner, starting with the hard black plastic piece that covers the lock catch.. then the sides. You'll find some press pins in hard to see locations...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #1288
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

let me see those pictures will ya? Once I have mine out I might look into the dremmeling so I can sell them to Iannoti????? or go with the F U vorshlag I want my money back. Either way not going back into the car. God I cant wait.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #1289
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh.. you'll need to remove the entire trunk liner, starting with the hard black plastic piece that covers the lock catch.. then the sides. You'll find some press pins in hard to see locations...
Sounds difficult, but after dropping the subframe I aint skeered of nuffin.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #1290
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds difficult, but after dropping the subframe I aint skeered of nuffin.
I had my entire trunk stripped of all trim, liners, etc at one point when I was trying to track down a rattle that sounded painfully obvious. I even had the wife drive the car around (at around 10pm) while I was jammed in the trunk with a flashlight lol. It really wasn't that hard stripping the trunk down.

BTW I never found that damn rattle and had to bring it to the dealer. It took them over a week to diagnose two bad hinges on the top tonneau cover that had to be replaced.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #1291
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I had my entire trunk stripped of all trim, liners, etc at one point when I was trying to track down a rattle that sounded painfully obvious. I even had the wife drive the car around (at around 10pm) while I was jammed in the trunk with a flashlight lol. It really wasn't that hard stripping the trunk down.

BTW I never found that damn rattle and had to bring it to the dealer. It took them over a week to diagnose two bad hinges on the top tonneau cover that had to be replaced.
your lucky she let you out

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #1292
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post

that's some commitment!

Quote:
hahaha +1

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #1293
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
that's some commitment!
Quote:
Haha, I know right?? Anyone who read Steven King's book called Tommyknockers will know what I mean. The gist of the book is a guy stumbles over a very small piece of metal in the ground and wants to dig it out and ends up digging up an entire spaceship.

I had this rattle that literally sounded like a wire loom/bundle had come loose and was swinging and hitting something solid when I went over bumps and around corners. It was so easy to make the noise, I figured, piece of cake to find. So I start snooping around under the tonneau cover, in the trunk, etc after dinner. Next thing I know the back seat is out (no lie) and there is a pile of trunk lining and various other pieces in the garage and I could not find the source of that damn noise!!!! So I had to put it all back together and bring it to the dealer anyway. I learned my lesson on that one, and it took even them a week to diagnose it. They tried to give it back to me saying they couldn't hear it but I was like NO WAY, drive it again and they admitted they could hear it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #1294
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

suspension and spring pads have arrived!!

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #1295
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Quote:
So, were there any takers on the suspension install lunch and learn?
      08-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #1296
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
WIN

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #1297
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
So, were there any takers on the suspension install lunch and learn?
Nope,

no one wants to learn. except brian wants me to install his sway bar. but thats not learning. iannoti really should come to see what he has to do to install the camber plates I will have for sale! so nope.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #1298
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
when are you doing the install?

Appreciate 0