BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Benefit of lightweight front rotors?

I know that the conventional wisdom is that decreasing unsprung mass will have a substantial impact on overall performance. But how useful is it to save 3 lbs from the front axle with lightweight rotors?

I did a google search, and some of the Evo guys have found measurable increases in awhp by losing 3 lbs from each brake rotor... but I wonder if we might get a similar effect by replacing front rotors on a RWD car.

And while I'm on the topic, I've seen a lot of different numbers for the BMW Performance rotors. Some places say that they're 21 lbs (which would mean a 1-1.5 lb loss), and some places say that they're 3-4 lbs lighter than stock. Does anybody know what the right answer is?
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
the Evo guys have found measurable increases in awhp by losing 3 lbs from each brake rotor...
there's no HP gain but you gain HP/weight ratio. 3 lbs wouldn't even register on even the most sensitive of butt dynos. you can expect sharper steering response, better braking and less wear and tear on suspension bushings due to lighter unsprung weight.
      12-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

The problem is that most brake rotors that are 2 piece and claim to be lighter shave weight off the hat buy using aluminum or other lighter metals. The hat is the closest point to the hub so unsprung weight there doesn't matter nearly as much. Will it still be quicker than a heavier rotor? yes, but the difference is very hard to measure.

Last edited by MMisencik157; 12-30-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So has anybody ever noticed a butt dyno difference?
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

If they have its probably more of a placebo effect than anything... we are talking very small differences here.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I think the main attraction for me is the fact that they don't affect your autocross class, so it's good for those of us who want to start autocrossing this summer. But if the difference isn't noticeable, then I won't bother.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I know i definitely noticed a difference in steering. Not as dramatic as lightweight wheels and tires, but there is a noticeable difference in feel. As far a an acceleration difference I don't think you're going to find any. And FYI the hats on the OEM rotors are aluminum as well.