BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
E90 328i Cat-Back on 128i?

Just wondering if a cat-back exhaust marketed for the E90 328i would fit an E82 128i? if not, why not? Could it be made to fit by a good exhaust shop?

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 07-01-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
- e9x 328i has a wide box so its inlet pipe placement may not be like 1 series. compare underside pictures.
- e8x Car battery tray may pose an issue, the 1M tray may be a solution.
- Exhaust hooks will not mount, need to be rewedded.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
- e9x 328i has a wide box so its inlet pipe placement may not be like 1 series. compare underside pictures.
- e8x Car battery tray may pose an issue, the 1M tray may be a solution.
- Exhaust hooks will not mount, need to be rewedded.
If it's just a matter of re-welding the exhaust hangers into a different position, I would think that any decent exhaust shop could handle that. I guess I'm mostly worried about the path upstream of the muffler, like is the bracing drastically different or something like that.
      07-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
If you're looking for more options for mufflers, the 135i stock, performance, and aftermarket systems are/should be straight forward. Doesn't seem worth the trouble to fit a 328i exhaust system on a 128i
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
If you're looking for more options for mufflers, the 135i stock, performance, and aftermarket systems are/should be straight forward. Doesn't seem worth the trouble to fit a 328i exhaust system on a 128i
I'v got the BMWPE. Love the sound, but think it will be too loud when I add my AA headers.

The stock 128i exhaust will be too tame.

135i muffler is not plug and play, I thought? And I figured if I need custom work done to make the exhaust fit, I might as well get something that was designed for the N52 - hence, 328i, although that would involve welding new exhaust hangers (no big deal) and shortening the total length (don't know implications of this). Incidentally, I'm looking at the Borla cat-back for 328i, because they have a reputation for mild sound (OEM+) which I think will pair well with headers, and good quality.

Supersprint's muffler is a contender, but at $1200, it's a little hard to swallow. The Borla I mention above is only a little cheaper, but it at least replaces section 2 as well.

I think there is a Magnaflow cat-back, but I bet it's pretty loud and not really what I'm looking for (which, plainly stated, is something between stock and too loud - something still civilized - Borla and Supersprint are the brands that come to mind).

The cheap option would be to use a Borla universal muffler in place of the PE, but what do I do about tips? And I still have the problem of welding hangers on it. I guess a cat-back appeals more to me than a universal muffler because it replaces more stock pipe with ostensibly lighter, higher-quality material.

There aren't too many other aftermarket options I'm aware of.
      07-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I'v got the BMWPE. Love the sound, but think it will be too loud when I add my AA headers.

135i muffler is not plug and play, I thought? And I figured if I need custom work done to make the exhaust fit, I might as well get something that was designed for the N52 - hence, 328i, although that would involve welding new exhaust hangers (no big deal) and shortening the total length (don't know implications of this). Incidentally, I'm looking at the Borla cat-back for 328i, because they have a reputation for mild sound (OEM+) which I think will pair well with headers, and good quality.

Supersprint's muffler is a contender, but at $1200, it's a little hard to swallow. The Borla I mention above is only a little cheaper, but it at least replaces section 2 as well.

I think there is a Magnaflow cat-back, but I bet it's pretty loud and not really what I'm looking for (which, plainly stated, is something between stock and too loud - something still civilized - Borla and Supersprint are the brands that come to mind).

The cheap option would be to use a Borla universal muffler in place of the PE, but what do I do about tips? And I still have the problem of welding hangers on it. I guess a cat-back appeals more to me than a universal muffler because it replaces more stock pipe with ostensibly lighter, higher-quality material.

I really think you should try a 135i exhaust, it is basically plug and play, just weld it up to the resonator; the hangers line up like the sock system. I have it on mine as does 631twentyeighteye and a few other members. The best part is that they are so cheap. $150 for a low mileage unit is considered in the upper price range lol. I've seen them on here for as low as $50. In regards to sound it's louder than stock and quieter than the performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I really think you should try a 135i exhaust, it is basically plug and play, just weld it up to the resonator; the hangers line up like the sock system. I have it on mine as does 631twentyeighteye and a few other members. The best part is that they are so cheap. $150 for a low mileage unit is considered in the upper price range lol. I've seen them on here for as low as $50. In regards to sound it's louder than stock and quieter than the performance exhaust.
I just don't think I'll be happy with it. From what I've read, even with headers, it's still a little TOO stock sounding. And I don't want to delete secondary acts or the resonator.
      07-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

I am running AA headers on my car. Here is what I got going.

AA Headers --> stock piping to 2nd cats --> stock piping to stock resonator --> custom muffler delete.

I don't think it is too loud unless you got flat out up to higher RPMs. There is definitely some drone though from 2k to just below 3k, but in my opinion the noise itself is not too loud.

I have heard 135is with catless downpipes and larger piping that have extremely loud start up noise and idle noise, that is not the case with my set up. Honestly though, if you are looking for a quiet ride, you should not be looking at putting headers on your car since it, more than anything else, removes most of the restriction of exhaust gases and noise on your car.

My other suggestion is this. Go to a muffler shop and tell them to get a good resonator or muffler for you and build you a custom exhaust after the 2nd cats. It will be much cheaper than a straight up branded and perform about the same. I am suggesting this, since the stock BMW mufflers of any model car are extremely heavy and you can shed a lot of weight getting rid of it.
E82 128i M-Sport 6MT - Black Metallic Sapphire - MFactory Helical LSD, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Swift Spec-R Springs, E90 M3 Front Sway Bar, M3 Front Control Arm Set, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings, Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, Active Autowerke N52 Tune, aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 CAI, Active Autowerke Headers, Custom Muffler Delete, BMW Performance SSK, ZHP Shift Knob, eBay Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:03 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klick View Post
I am running AA headers on my car. Here is what I got going.

AA Headers --> stock piping to 2nd cats --> stock piping to stock resonator --> custom muffler delete.

I don't think it is too loud unless you got flat out up to higher RPMs. There is definitely some drone though from 2k to just below 3k, but in my opinion the noise itself is not too loud.

I have heard 135is with catless downpipes and larger piping that have extremely loud start up noise and idle noise, that is not the case with my set up. Honestly though, if you are looking for a quiet ride, you should not be looking at putting headers on your car since it, more than anything else, removes most of the restriction of exhaust gases and noise on your car.

My other suggestion is this. Go to a muffler shop and tell them to get a good resonator or muffler for you and build you a custom exhaust after the 2nd cats. It will be much cheaper than a straight up branded and perform about the same. I am suggesting this, since the stock BMW mufflers of any model car are extremely heavy and you can shed a lot of weight getting rid of it.
Thanks for your input.

Sound is obviously subjective, but I'm 99% certain your set up (headers & a muffler delete) would be too loud for me. From what I hear, my muffler (BMW PE) is only marginally quieter, and is louder than most people would consider reasonable. I love the sound of the BMW PE without headers, but as it is, it's alreaady almost borderline too loud. If I could keep the same sound after adding headers, I'd be golden, but that's obviously impossible.

So the Supersprint muffler is still a possibility, but it's looking like the custom exhaust set up might be the way to go. I could probably pick up a Borla ProXS at 1/10th the cost of the SS unit (or less!). Of course, it would require professional installation (hangers welded, tips welded) but would still be significantly cheaper.

I'm reaching out to a custom exhaust shop near me that does mandrel bending, TIG welding, etc. - they should hopefully be able to give me some better ideas as far as options.
      07-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Thanks for your input.

Sound is obviously subjective, but I'm 99% certain your set up (headers & a muffler delete) would be too loud for me. From what I hear, my muffler (BMW PE) is only marginally quieter, and is louder than most people would consider reasonable. I love the sound of the BMW PE without headers, but as it is, it's alreaady almost borderline too loud. If I could keep the same sound after adding headers, I'd be golden, but that's obviously impossible.

So the Supersprint muffler is still a possibility, but it's looking like the custom exhaust set up might be the way to go. I could probably pick up a Borla ProXS at 1/10th the cost of the SS unit (or less!). Of course, it would require professional installation (hangers welded, tips welded) but would still be significantly cheaper.

I'm reaching out to a custom exhaust shop near me that does mandrel bending, TIG welding, etc. - they should hopefully be able to give me some better ideas as far as options.
I would email turner motorsport about the Supersprint muffler, they may be able to get you a better price than what's listed on their site
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would email turner motorsport about the Supersprint muffler, they may be able to get you a better price than what's listed on their site
Do tell. PM me?
      07-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Magnaflow axelback for 128i features a resonator and some nice exhaust tips. Should be tame for a AA header, since it sounds just a bit quieter than PMWPE according to videos. I even recall someone taking Maganflow 128i system and looking up the part numbers of muffler & resonator to make it a bit cheaper/custom

But I agree with you, headers make muffler selection a pain

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #13
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

Quote:

I would steer clear from the 328i exhaust, I have both a 328i and a 128i. Both have been under the knife for a muffler delete. With both mufflers off I was able to take it and do some tests, because there was clearly something I could tell from the two. One thing is the 328i exhaust is way quieter then the 128i stock exhaust, also the 328i from air flow tests, exhaust is less free flowing then the 128i exhaust. So if I was to choose between the two to have on my 128i it would be the stock 128i between the two. Also because you ask this question in regards to the exhaust I held up the 328i muffler to the underside of my 128i, its way wider, muffler inlet is placed in an area that will require a bunch of bends in the exhaust piping, and will not comfortably fit, also weighs more and I don't know about you but I'd prefer to not add more unnecessary weight to the vehicle.

If you want more sound, I'd second the 135i exhaust, or muffler delete, it works great with the N52, and I'd say it still builds up the right amount of back pressure for the N52 if you go the 135i route. Having done the muffler delete, on the 128i it is much quieter and pretty much no drone in my opinion compared to the 328i with a muffler delete, might be due to the resonator design, but it adds a great sound to the car, not too loud and no loss of low end torque. Also modifications required to get the 135i muffler to fit is barely anything.

If you want sound but don't wanna mess with low end torque and all that good stuff with your N52, I'd say 135i stock exhaust (don't connect the valve actuator), and resonator delete. Heard that combination before and it sounds really good, got some deep notes when just slowing picking up / cruising, and when you punch it you notice it. Don't know about drone though with a resonator delete...

So many more options in the market but it seems that you want a stockish kind of approach.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
I would steer clear from the 328i exhaust, I have both a 328i and a 128i. Both have been under the knife for a muffler delete. With both mufflers off I was able to take it and do some tests, because there was clearly something I could tell from the two. One thing is the 328i exhaust is way quieter then the 128i stock exhaust, also the 328i from air flow tests, exhaust is less free flowing then the 128i exhaust. So if I was to choose between the two to have on my 128i it would be the stock 128i between the two. Also because you ask this question in regards to the exhaust I held up the 328i muffler to the underside of my 128i, its way wider, muffler inlet is placed in an area that will require a bunch of bends in the exhaust piping, and will not comfortably fit, also weighs more and I don't know about you but I'd prefer to not add more unnecessary weight to the vehicle.

If you want more sound, I'd second the 135i exhaust, or muffler delete, it works great with the N52, and I'd say it still builds up the right amount of back pressure for the N52 if you go the 135i route. Having done the muffler delete, on the 128i it is much quieter and pretty much no drone in my opinion compared to the 328i with a muffler delete, might be due to the resonator design, but it adds a great sound to the car, not too loud and no loss of low end torque. Also modifications required to get the 135i muffler to fit is barely anything.

If you want sound but don't wanna mess with low end torque and all that good stuff with your N52, I'd say 135i stock exhaust (don't connect the valve actuator), and resonator delete. Heard that combination before and it sounds really good, got some deep notes when just slowing picking up / cruising, and when you punch it you notice it. Don't know about drone though with a resonator delete...

So many more options in the market but it seems that you want a stockish kind of approach.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145369

That's my setup, 135i stock muffler + Superspring resonator delete pipe. I think it sounds great, and it doesn't drone. It did a little bit at first but it all went away after a hundred miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Just wondering if a cat-back exhaust marketed for the E90 328i would fit an E82 128i? if not, why not? Could it be made to fit by a good exhaust shop?
It would require too much modifications to fit and will cost you a lot of money.
I would just grab an exhaust built for your car. GThaus Meisterschaft is a very good option

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
I would steer clear from the 328i exhaust, I have both a 328i and a 128i. Both have been under the knife for a muffler delete. With both mufflers off I was able to take it and do some tests, because there was clearly something I could tell from the two. One thing is the 328i exhaust is way quieter then the 128i stock exhaust, also the 328i from air flow tests, exhaust is less free flowing then the 128i exhaust. So if I was to choose between the two to have on my 128i it would be the stock 128i between the two.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think an aftermarket 328i muffler would be very restrictive, especially compared to the stock 328i unit. I certainly wouldn't try to fit the stock 328i muffler, though (might as well revert to 128i stock).

Quote:
Also because you ask this question in regards to the exhaust I held up the 328i muffler to the underside of my 128i, its way wider, muffler inlet is placed in an area that will require a bunch of bends in the exhaust piping, and will not comfortably fit, also weighs more and I don't know about you but I'd prefer to not add more unnecessary weight to the vehicle.
Fitment is definitely the issue. Part of me thinks that if a universal muffler could be made to fit, than a 328i cat-back could probably work as well - but at the end of the day, even if it's possible, it's just not worth the expense and effort.

Quote:

I have no ineterest in a muffler or reso delete, as I'm looking for something quiter than stock reso and BMW PE muffler (once I add headers, anyway) - the sound is perfect with stock headers).

Quote:
I'm not really in the mood for a stockish sound, just don't want to wake everyone up in a 3-block radius when I go to work in the AM, lol. Current plan is to install headers with OEM secondaries, reso, and BMW PE. If that's too loud, I'll probably go for a Borla universal muffler. Also in the mix is the Supersprint muffler, but at $1200 it's a long shot. Factory-like fitment and the option to add a SS reso later are selling points.

Yet another option is to keep the BMW PE and just try to quiet the whole thing down with Vibrant's Ultra Quiet resonator in place of the factory unit. However, I'm not exactly sure this would be any quieter, and have reservations about removing the N52/128i-specific resonator.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Just FYI

Mic located above my taillight on both sides (L/R Audio FTW)

AA Headers, Stock 200 Cell Secondaries, Stock Resonator, Muffler Delete

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #18
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Magnaflow universal or Borla universal muffler. Period.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #19
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Magnaflow universal or Borla universal muffler. Period.
You have any experience with the Borla ProXS? I'm guessing it will be quieter than BMW PE but more aggressive than stock. I want it to be civilized, but I don't want to lose TOO much character...
      07-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
You have any experience with the Borla ProXS? I'm guessing it will be quieter than BMW PE but more aggressive than stock. I want it to be civilized, but I don't want to lose TOO much character...
I just saw a video last night of the borla on a stock 328i and it sounded really good, I also heard a magnaflow on a headered 328i that again, sounded really good. I would lean towards Borla personally, they tend to be quieter (and it's what I plan on doing) and these options don't cost a lot of money, and can pick up a few hp. It's a win win.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #21
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102093
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #22
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I just saw a video last night of the borla on a stock 328i and it sounded really good, I also heard a magnaflow on a headered 328i that again, sounded really good. I would lean towards Borla personally, they tend to be quieter (and it's what I plan on doing) and these options don't cost a lot of money, and can pick up a few hp. It's a win win.
I never thought about the magnaflow catback(behind secondarys) with catless headers. My friend has them on hers and it sounds really nice but its quiet. I think the headers would make it sound amazing.