BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Catless smell and cops in NSW

I got pulled over last night for an RBT and switched off my engine just in case.

I have been told by my friend you can smell my car from the footpath.

I am worried I am gonna get pulled over and hear "that doesnt sound like a BMW", I am also wondering if my aFe intake is a defect and what I can do about it.

I am under the impression to get fined for catless you need to bring it in to an EPA station which gives you time to swap out to stock but I have heard of on the spot fines. So what are the possibilities?
      04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

You can definitely get done for emissions but they'd need the emissions testing probe thingy in order to fine you on the spot.

Also, I don't think it's illegal to have an open filter element anymore. Not allowed BoVs still though.

In theory it is also ok to alter your emissions controls in your exhaust as long as you can still pass the emissions limits on testing. Though I doubt you would be able to pass when full catless. Not sure though about a single set of cats on an N54.
      04-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Also, I don't think it's illegal to have an open filter element anymore.
Can you point me to any reference to confirm that? I've been putting off the AFE air intake because of this.
      04-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

the aFe get sealed when the bonnet closes so theres a technical element to the aFe in particular.

How common is the emission probe? cops also have tint % detectors that they never use.

Should I just make it a habit of turning off my car when being pulled over and avoid driving near HWP?

I wanna stay catless for 2 reasons:
I see it as a good bet, the money you save on catless vs the fine + chances of being caught.
Its really really loud at high revs even with the stock exhuast system.
      04-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Also, I don't think it's illegal to have an open filter element anymore.
Can you point me to any reference to confirm that? I've been putting off the AFE air intake because of this.
Check out the modifications sticky thread. All the laws regarding light vehicle modifications are there. From my reading I can't find anything that states open filters are illegal. It does specify that vent to atmosphere is illegal.
      04-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Has any members on the forum got done by cops for having catless dp yet?
I got pulled over by RBT several times and had HWP sitting next to me, behind me and didn't have any problems. Just don't floor it or have a heavy right foot and you should be fine. As for smell, I haven't smell any rotten eggs on mine yet.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
I am under the impression to get fined for catless you need to bring it in to an EPA station which gives you time to swap out to stock but I have heard of on the spot fines. So what are the possibilities?
Not necessarily true...
There was an Current Affairs episode some time back, where the cops had a roadside testing, similar to a RBT setup..
Now, if they thought your car "seemed " not to be stock, you had to follow them back to a EPA station for emissions and sound decibel testing...
No time out to swap back to OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

I got pulled over for RBT some months back in the 1M..
No mid cats and no rear muffler, as I run the Meisterschaft race exhaust, so the car was idling like a champion

Cop: nice car
Me: thanks
Cop: how fast is she
Me: fast
Cop: but how fast
Me: fucken fast
Cop: wrong answer
Me: wrong question..

He just laughed and gave me the thumbs up as I blew negative, and I was on my way
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
COZ01M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

good one joe! Have to remember that!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #10
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Technically an AFE intake is 'illegal' as it's aftermarket and not oem. The HWP could then ask you OK where's our engineers certificate, then when you can't produce one they will slap you with a canary. Having said that you can still produce an engineers certificate and they can still slap you with a defect.

Open air filters are not illegal per se, as FPV's have come standard with them for years!

It's courtesy to shut down your engine anyway when the cops pull you over, and if you treat them with respect they're generally OK and will let you on your way! I have never been defected in almost 20 years of driving/riding (all my cars/bikes have been modified)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Hey mate. Why don't you go with the AFE Cold air intake, like I have..
Little bit quieter, but just as affective.
And looks more OEM than the open air intake box.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZ01M View Post
good one joe! Have to remember that!
The misses didn't think so ...
She was cursing me for being such a smart ass
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
It's courtesy to shut down your engine anyway when the cops pull you over, and if you treat them with respect they're generally OK and will let you on your way! I have never been defected in almost 20 years of driving/riding (all my cars/bikes have been modified)
Your correct in saying it's the right thing to do, shutting down the car once pulled over, buts it's more out of common law, than courtesy.

But as far as treating them with respect, you haven't lived in the Sydney western suburbs and had to deal with HWP out here. I will only treat them with as much respect as they give to me.

But in saying all that, I also haven't been issued with a defect notice, in my 36 years of having highly modified street cars in Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Your correct in saying it's the right thing to do, shutting down the car once pulled over, buts it's more out of common law, than courtesy.

But as far as treating them with respect, you haven't lived in the Sydney western suburbs and had to deal with HWP out here. I will only treat them with as much respect as they give to me.

But in saying all that, I also haven't been issued with a defect notice, in my 36 years of having highly modified street cars in Sydney.
Well yes as you mentioned it's an unwritten law. I have spent a fair amount of time in punchy/seffo (ex gf, family - the lebanese side!) and never had an issue personally.

I'm sure those 36 years of defect free driving would have a lot to do with our attitude, bet you have a few speeding fines though!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure those 36 years of defect free driving would have a lot to do with our attitude, bet you have a few speeding fines though!
Hahahahaa... You got me there mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Technically an AFE intake is 'illegal' as it's aftermarket and not oem. The HWP could then ask you OK where's our engineers certificate, then when you can't produce one they will slap you with a canary. Having said that you can still produce an engineers certificate and they can still slap you with a defect.

Open air filters are not illegal per se, as FPV's have come standard with them for years!

not quite - it counts as a 'simple modification' and doesn't require engineering

there's a few mods that fall under that, and don't require it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
The misses didn't think so ...
She was cursing me for being such a smart ass
When I had my 180sx a while ago I had been pulled over and they needed to call the Sargent in for my mate who was with me for an unrelated offense.

During a friendly chat the sargent asked me how fast I had taken my car I said "well I dont want to incriminate myself" hes like nah its okay so I admitted I had taken it to its limiter which is 180km/h on the way to wollongong at night, he was just like "nice ".
      04-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Open air intakes (Pod Filters) are legal - in QLD, at least - as long as they are secured.

ie: The aFe ones are legal. The Burger ones (that are just bunged onto the ends of the pipes) are not.

Don't ask me why they make this distinction... :
      04-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #19
drjekl
Captain
Rep

See the thing is, most coppers don't know whats legal and what isn't.

I have two mates who are HWY patrols and have consulted them on a few items (both have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever - I had to change one's windscreen wiper blades for him!) and they both told me if they see something that doesn't look stock and depending on the circumstances they just slap a defect notice on the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
During a friendly chat the sargent asked me how fast I had taken my car I said "well I dont want to incriminate myself" hes like nah its okay so I admitted I had taken it to its limiter which is 180km/h on the way to wollongong at night, he was just like "nice ".
Hmm that's not too smart dude!!! Should have been last time I was at eastern creek or wakefield I got to.....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Open air intakes (Pod Filters) are legal - in QLD, at least - as long as they are secured.

ie: The aFe ones are legal. The Burger ones (that are just bunged onto the ends of the pipes) are not.

Don't ask me why they make this distinction... :
I think it's something to do with the heat shield surrounding the filters.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #22
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hmm that's not too smart dude!!! Should have been last time I was at eastern creek or wakefield I got to.....
Yea I know, but he seemed really chill, he was old for a cop btw, funny thing is that didnt make him sus, it was when I kept talking after and he thought I was hiding something then asked me to pop my boot.
Im not even sure if I could of been convicted in that case if he wanted to charge me for criminal speeding.